Thread: kodiak 400 problem

Default kodiak 400 problem

Hello all,

I have a kodiak 400/2005 that has a leaking rear inner cv boot/joint. I think its the gasket gone bad, im just guessing cause ive never changed one. Any one have any tips on how to do this, what parts i might need, or if anyone knows of a place that sells a service manual for it? Or should i take it in to be worked on. I am mechanicly inclined and have the tools, i just havent done it before and would like to save the money for more expensive stuff that breaks . Thanks for your time.

James
    Women never look so well as when one comes in wet and dirty from hunting

CV joint boots really aren't that tough to change if you can do anything mechanical. The real question would be if the boot is torn how long has it been that way and is the CV joint still good. As long as most of your old grease is still in there it should be ok, but if its filled with chunks of mud and or sand you could put a new boot on only to have the joint quit on you in a couple of rides. Cleanliness is important. Haven't changed a boot on a quad yet, but done it on plenty of cars. As long as you can get the axle off the quad, you just buy a new boot, it should come with new grease to put in the boot for the bearing that the boot covers. Put as much of the grease into the boot that you can fit. The metal clamps need to be pinched on with a special pair of pliers (not sure if this is totally needed, but when I've done it it took a special pair to crimp the clamp down right) crimp the boot ends sealed. Then you just reinstall the axle. You can get Haynes manual for Kodiaks on ebay and different sites like amazon.com.

Good Luck, I have a 2005 Kodiak also, and I really enjoy it!

Quote Originally Posted by silencekills View Post
    Hello all,

I have a kodiak 400/2005 that has a leaking rear inner cv boot/joint. I think its the gasket gone bad, im just guessing cause ive never changed one. Any one have any tips on how to do this, what parts i might need, or if anyone knows of a place that sells a service manual for it? Or should i take it in to be worked on. I am mechanicly inclined and have the tools, i just havent done it before and would like to save the money for more expensive stuff that breaks . Thanks for your time.

James
    I'm a little confused You have an IRS 400 Kody right? The SEAL is leaking right? Where the axle goes into the differential? Or is the boot torn and greasey water leaking from it? Either way give me a little more info. You got tools then you can do it, either one isn't that hard. which is it? I'll tell you the steps. Don't waste money on a shop for these kind of repairs IMO.

Default i fixed it last night..

It is the seal for the rear differential. I pulled the tire off, loosened the suspension and pulled the axle right out of the differential. The seal had a small tear in it, it didnt look like much but i guess it was enough to cause a leak. I drilled 2 small sheet metal screws into the seal, and pulled it out with needle nose pliers out. Put new one in, and put it all back together. Seemed really easy...glad i didnt take it in for that. Only cost me $3 for the seal. Thanks to everyone that replied.
    Women never look so well as when one comes in wet and dirty from hunting

Guess I misunderstood about the seal. Thought you meant the actual boot on the CV. Yeah my kodiak leaks on that seal too, just enough to get dust to stick on there. I will probably change mine sometime when I get bored enough. Nice to know its an easy fix though, I haven't changed a seal like that as of yet.