Thread: Looking for a Machine Shop in South Central

Default Looking for a Machine Shop in South Central

Going though my engine, tore it apart yesterday, bearings very bad, engine with only 54 hrs, no oil pressure at idle, 30 lbs when running. 496 crate engine i bought 1.5 yrs ago. Looks good on the inside except for crank and main bearings. I do not trust and will not go to Valley Machine shop. Don't know about B&L but they say performance shop. Also told there is a good shop in Chugiak. I need a place that i can trust to do me good without taking advantage and doing what is not necessary. Any body have direct experience with either of these two places or another shop you would suggest. Experience with airboat/marine engines a big plus. Thank you, Bud
    Wasilla

Bud the machine shop I use northern machine 907-452-2004 talk to gene our bud

Skip, you are just too far away to carry a block and cam back and fourth, but I appreciate the suggestion, I know he does airboat motors just hoping to find somebody down here with airboat experience. Bud
    Wasilla

ADB machine has a great rep.
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming-----WOW-----what a ride!
    Unknown author

Bud you can ship it up and they can ship it back, its not that bad. Had one of my other customers from anchorage do the same thing, You have issues that need to be addressed in that engine like wrong flex plate. Is the motor internally balanced our externally balanced. Is your block going to need to be line bored. Got to figure out why the bearing are going out.

Bud,
    We will be heading up to Skips in Feb/March sometime if you want me to haul it up there.
    BK

ADB in Anchorage does excellent work. Used them for years and have never had an issue. He keeps talking retiring so better hurry...

Coker Machine shop use to be in the Mt. View area; they did some great work, but I don't know if they exist any more. Lots of race engines and many marine applications as well.
    "...and then Jack chopped down the beanstock, adding murder and ecological vandalism to the theft, enticement and vandalism charges already mentioned, but he got away with it and lived happily ever after without so much as a guilty twinge about what he had done. Which proves that you can be excused just about anything if you're a hero, because no one asks the inconvenient questions." Terry Pratchett's The Hogfather

FYI, for general fabrication and welding (not specifically what you are looking for, of course), I would speak with Allen Thornhill at Cash Fabrication & Welding in Anchorage. He has done (boat) work for me in the past, and he has been in business at the same location since 1968. He is currently doing some very advanced work for Shell oil company right now. He has built his own airboat, a 19' w/ 500hp Vortec engine and fully enclosed cabin. I got a tour of his boat (based upon my recent interest) and shop with him the other day. Allen seems like a great guy that does **** fine work.

Cokers is gone. I worked there for about 6 years rebuilding engines but he's been gone for several years now. Since then I use Midtown Machine. I have had a couple of small jobs done by ADB with good results as well.