Thread: My favorite Big Lake set up: The Dodger and Jig Rig

Default My favorite Big Lake set up: The Dodger and Jig Rig

photo-9%u00252520copy.JPG

I always seem to get a few questions about the dodger and jig set up I use on Big Lake. So I decided to make a blog post on my personal blogs that talks a little bit about my rationale for using it.

There's no doubt it is super effective for me, but for me the fact something works, isn't good enough. I want to know why it works and if it can be improved upon. It's a work in progress because I want to edit some video to show what I am talking about.

My secondary lure I use are large spoons 4 to 5 inches long. Favorites come and go with my current go to spoon being a 4 or 5 inch Doctor Spoon. You also can't go wrong with the krockadile spoons.

But any input, ideas, modifications are not only welcome, but VERY MUCH appreciated!

http://guidesak.blogspot.com/2014/01...e-fishing.html

Great article, it makes a lot of sense. I'm fairly new to the jigging-style of fishing. I'm from the south where some chicken liver on the bottom of a lake is really all you need. I'll have to give it a shot though and see how it works.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I employ the same technique for all species of fish, but at a smaller scale. As stated earlier, this is a very effective technique for all species.

Homepics2 001.jpgHomepics2 009.jpg
    Your bait stinks and your boat is ugly

Do your top spoons ever get hit? If I were a fish, I'd hit the shiny things!

Quote Originally Posted by FishGod View Post
    I employ the same technique for all species of fish, but at a smaller scale. As stated earlier, this is a very effective technique for all species.

Homepics2 001.jpgHomepics2 009.jpg
    "The North wind is cold no matter what direction it's blowing"

Quote Originally Posted by DannerAK View Post
    Do your top spoons ever get hit? If I were a fish, I'd hit the shiny things!
    Some days they do some days they don't. Depends on the mood of the fish. If they do, they will whack them one or two times and then hit whatever offering is below. Either way, it definitely helps to get the fish worked up.

Sweet. I was going to ask the same thing. But the extra "fish" definitely seems to up the activity level! Cool!!

AlaskaKayakFisher.com
    Guidesak.blogspot.com
    My personal pages...I'm not a guide.

On lakes where multiple hooks are allowed, do you have hooks on both spoons?

Quote Originally Posted by cptmorganusn View Post
    On lakes where multiple hooks are allowed, do you have hooks on both spoons?

No hooks on the upper spoon. It's considered an attractor. Even if you were using one rod in a multiple hook area, you cannot fish two lures with hooks, two spoons with hooks, or two jigs with hooks on the same line. If fishing with one rod in a multiple hook area, you may use two hooks, two flies, or one lure with no more than two hooks on that lure, such as an airplane jig. If using two rods in a multiple hook area, you may use one lure with one hook on that lure or one multiple hook per rod.

Gotcha, thanks for clarifying that!

Great article. I am really interested to hear how you like the hook above the flasher! Please give us an update when you try it out. I'm going to have to try this setup soon.