Thread: Bad Case

Default Bad Case

I just loaded 100 rounds of 22-250 with new brass. After I got them loaded I noticed one round had a light looking scratch on the neck. A closer inspection revealed a split neck on this one round. What would you do with it? Would you shoot it as a fouler round then throw it away, or toss it as it is. Will it do damage to a rifle? The load is not a max load and shows no pressure signs in my rifle. Whats your thoughts?

Id pull the bullet and chuck the case. It would likely fire fine but why, you gain nothing from shooting it so why assume the risk no mater how tiny it is.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Being that you took the time to inspect your reloads, pull the bullet, deaden the primer, crush the case and throw it away. The reason to inspect is to find bad rounds before they cause an issue. Be safe and drive on!

Quote Originally Posted by AK Bearcat View Post
    Being that you took the time to inspect your reloads, pull the bullet, deaden the primer, crush the case and throw it away. The reason to inspect is to find bad rounds before they cause an issue. Be safe and drive on!
    This brings up two questions,

First this is said like its a surprise he inspected, hope this isn't how it was intended.

second how do you deaden a primer? Water or oil I suppose I always just toss them.

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Quote Originally Posted by mooneyman View Post
    This brings up two questions,

First this is said like its a surprise he inspected, hope this isn't how it was intended.

second how do you deaden a primer? Water or oil I suppose I always just toss them.
    I think Bearcat meant, finding problems is what case inspection is all about.

Water probably won't kill a primer, and oil will, but only temporarily.

I would pop it off in the gun, or some other way, or just throw it away in the swamps. The weather will take care of it eventually. They aren't all THAT dangerous if you don't mix a bunch of them together.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Thanks smitty, (didn't think I would ever say that to you) not that I think your a bad person just different thinking than me. I was starting to think I was the only one that tossed them, never thought much about it, I won't use a primer that I have touched with my hand (no real reason for this just over analyzing it, but I do hate when I hear click instead of BOOM. Haven't had many but needed something to blame.

With the price of powder and bullets, I'd pull and reload the powder and bullet in another case.

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Quote Originally Posted by mooneyman View Post
    Thanks smitty, (didn't think I would ever say that to you) not that I think your a bad person just different thinking than me. I was starting to think I was the only one that tossed them, never thought much about it, I won't use a primer that I have touched with my hand (no real reason for this just over analyzing it, but I do hate when I hear click instead of BOOM. Haven't had many but needed something to blame.
    If you're a "Mooney" we don't think the same. Just Kiddin.

I don't think much though, but I'm full of Lucky Guesses.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.