Thread: hooking sea lions

Default hooking sea lions

I figured it was only a matter of time before a sea lion grabbed one of our herring, and it finally happened yesterday. Thought it was a smoker king, but only for a second. It came up about a hundred feet away with green big game pointing straight at it. We cut the line immediately. Next time I think I will thumb the spool and see if I can rip the hooks out (sounds cruel I know), but maybe I can get em or at least save it from towing around a flasher. So I wonder, how often does this happen and what do you guys do when it does? What can you do? I used to pull my gear whenever there was one behind the boat, which was so often it got ridiculous. I never see anyone else paying any mind to them so I stopped worrying about it. Then WHAM. It really put a damper on our day, that and the 9 hours it took to catch one king. Poor guy. I'm talkin Juneau here.

Default Hooked a Sean Lion and also a Porpoise

NEVTSEAK,

In PWS, I also had a sea lion grab my bait, and one time while pulling in a rock fish, a dahl porpoise came rocketing by and nailed it....it was a wild ride for a second until I cut the line. I never tried pulling the hook free. Every time the porpoises or sea lions come by now, we wait until they leave, or move.

Tom

I don't think i'd cut the line because now the sea lion has a long bunch of line to tangle around its body and kill it slowly. I'd tighten down the drag and point the rod straight at the lion and hope the line breaks at the weakest point, like the knot, then at least its only got to try and get rid of whaterver is close to the hook.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

Default Dangerious animals

We drifted into a bunch of them out of Whittier, reeled up the lines and sat there a bit. They started popping up and barking at us, and you could see them swimming at and turning at the boat. First one that hit the boat I started up and was gone. Can't imagine that a 1000# sea lion jumping into my boat would make the rest of the day go any better!

Fishing out of Santa Cruz, CA a few years back and had a bull lion come up on the gunnel chasing a King that I was hauling in . Down there the lions follow you all day steeling every fish you hook so we tuna land the fish. The boat almost capsized just before he slid back into the water. Quit fishing salmon in Monterey Bay because the lions are so bad, you never land a fish unless you got some M-80ís to throw in the water as soon as you hook up .

DD

Usually I go on the chase, I'll hit the boat in reverse and chase after the sea lion if he's grabbed my fish. The only mammal I've hooked was a humpback once swam under the boat and got caught on my halibut line. I've never seen a penn senator go from full to empty any faster. I haven't had any issues with seals or sea lions grabbing my bait cause they are usually too busy chasing the salmon. I think the right thing in your case is to try and break the line. That way you can maybe save your flasher. Throw some Powerpro on there then you can just yard that sucker in.