Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: barnes for grizzly?

Default barnes for grizzly?

doing a spring grizzly hunt up at alpine creek lodge in unit 13 in the spring, I located what I think is a great bullet but have seen some mixed reviews. I'm shooting 180 gr barnes ttsx through my 30-06. Wanted to get some opinions on that. I'm a surgeon with the gun no need to worry about that just as far as the bullets performance is there any people who say no go and why? thanks for your time and comments!

I shot a 8.5 foot brown bear this past spring and dropped him in his tracks.. 250 gr TSX, then shot a 6.5' interior Grizz this fall in unit 13 with a 225 gr TSX, dropped him in his tracks too. Thats the only bullet I shoot out of my guns for Alaska game. even worked well on antelope.. its all shot placement.

Steve at precise ammunition down in texas does my loading.

Good luck
    Quality Counts @ Dahlberg's Taxidermy

I have had nothing but great performance with TTSX bullets. I have used them on moose, caribou, bear and deer with one recovered from a moose. It was a 270 gr 375 H&H that weighed in at 261 gr when recovered. All game were one shot kills. Great bullets in my experience.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    If you think you're free, there's no escape possible.

So you think with an 06 this 180 gr bullet will do the job just fine? That's what I figured it's a great bullet but even a great bullet shooting out of a bigger caliber doesn't mean squat unless you put it where it needs to go

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk

before I moved to my 325wsm, I shot the 180 tsx out of my 300 win mag for years. It was flawless on moose, ox, sheep, caribou.
    In 1492 Native Americans discovered Columbus lost at sea

If I come across as an arrogant, know-it-all jerk, it's because I am

I have not shot a grizzly with a 3006, but I would if I had one. There have been many grizzlies shot with a 3006. The TTSX isn't the weak link. I probably go with a 200 grain though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    If you think you're free, there's no escape possible.

Thanks for the advice! I talked to a few of the guides and they said 180 gr in the vitals will do the job perfect I just wanted to get thoughts on the ttsx in an 06 as I have just sighted in the weapon with them and bought 4 boxes

Quote Originally Posted by jbreadyrltw View Post
    So you think with an 06 this 180 gr bullet will do the job just fine? That's what I figured it's a great bullet but even a great bullet shooting out of a bigger caliber doesn't mean squat unless you put it where it needs to go

Several browns have been shot with my 300wby with 168 tsx's. Biggest was 8.5' bear. She went 10', everything else...bang flops. I shoot 150 Ttsx outta my 06, and am comfortable takin anything in the world with it. It really upset me when my 270 short mag wouldn't group with Barnes. Tsx= best hunting bullet made IMO. Put the hairs on the shoulder and let it fly. Good luck

Quote Originally Posted by jbreadyrltw View Post
    Thanks for the advice! I talked to a few of the guides and they said 180 gr in the vitals will do the job perfect I just wanted to get thoughts on the ttsx in an 06 as I have just sighted in the weapon with them and bought 4 boxes

You're good to go. You can find "mixed reviews" on any bullet made, if you look for them. A 180 tsx out of a 30-06 is a fine pairing; I wouldn't change a thing nor give it a second thought.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

I've recovered Barnes Triple Shocks from several brown bears, 300WM, 338, 375H&H and 416 Taylor. All of the recovered bullets looked just like the pictures in the advertisements. Some weren't recovered, particularly the 338's and 375's. I'm sold on the bullet. I think with proper shot placement they should be just fine out of a '06. One thing to keep in mind though is that the Triple Shocks will not expand correctly after the velocity falls under about 1800fps, so you might want to put some figures into a ballistic calculator to see what your maximum range is.

As stated..they do need speed to open up. Most of the reason I dropped weight to gain speed. My 150's are goin 3, and 168's 3300. Something to keep in mind...I believe the Ttsx will open at a slower speed than tsx..but don't quote me on 'actual' velocities

Quote Originally Posted by hunt/trapak88 View Post
    ...I believe the Ttsx will open at a slower speed than tsx..but don't quote me on 'actual' velocities
    Barnes bullets have been constantly evolving and improving, so maybe(?) that's true, but at least initially it wasn't. A Barnes rep/owner stated flat out in an interview several years ago that the tsx and ttsx were the same bullet, and performance was the same. He said the only reason they introduced the ttsx was to satisfy the certain percentage of consumers who believe that a proper bullet is supposed to have a plastic tip.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

I killed a lot of bears with Barnes TSXs, with 180s out of a 300WM, only issue I had is they do not leave that large of an exit, great for food, not so great for bears. When the tipped TSX came out I thought they would be better for long distance. Shot a brown bear and when we got to him, he did not know he was dead, tried to eat us, shot him several more time to remind him. The TTSXs fired at 25 yards exploded on impact, only penetrated a few inches and grenaded. That was my last time using them, as I said killed lots of critters with them, just found Accubonds to work better for me.

Killed this grizzly with my 06 using 180 grain Accubonds, they leave massive wound channels and huge exits. Bears have thick fur and that fur with fat sure likes to stop blood, hard to track a wounded one with no blood trail.

Will your choice work,, I'm sure it will. Having used both, I choose the AccuBOMBS.

Good luck and be safe.

Steve

Grizzly through and through Accubond stopped after breaking away shoulder.

Black bear

A few of them I have recovered.

"I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Quote Originally Posted by iofthetaiga View Post
    Barnes bullets have been constantly evolving and improving, so maybe(?) that's true, but at least initially it wasn't. A Barnes rep/owner stated flat out in an interview several years ago that the tsx and ttsx were the same bullet, and performance was the same. He said the only reason they introduced the ttsx was to satisfy the certain percentage of consumers who believe that a proper bullet is supposed to have a plastic tip.
    If you have any on hand to compare the two (same cal and bullet weight), pull the tip out of one of the TTSX bullets and the hollow point is quite a bit bigger than what you see with the original TSX bullet. That little design change was suppose to eliminate any of the FMJ-style hits on animals. However, I put a 140gr TTSX through the lungs of a caribou last year and the bullet still penciled through, leaving an exit smaller than a dime.

Quote Originally Posted by stid2677 View Post
    The TTSXs fired at 25 yards exploded on impact, only penetrated a few inches and grenaded.
    What did you hit...???
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    What did you hit...???
    The ribs, blew up under the hide when it hit the rib bone. I believe it was a combination of velocity and distance, I was so close that the high velocity caused the failure. I still like TSXs for food, but for bears not so much for the reason I already stated.

Just my nickel, I respect that they are a quality bullet and many including myself have used them to great effect, I just prefer Accubonds. Until one of them fails, then I reserve the right to change my mind again.
    Founding Member

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    If you have any on hand to compare the two (same cal and bullet weight), pull the tip out of one of the TTSX bullets and the hollow point is quite a bit bigger than what you see with the original TSX bullet. That little design change was suppose to eliminate any of the FMJ-style hits on animals. However, I put a 140gr TTSX through the lungs of a caribou last year and the bullet still penciled through, leaving an exit smaller than a dime.
    That is my experience exactly!! That is why I don't like them on bears, kill them dead sure, but the exit wound don't bleed enough for me.
    Founding Member

Some great feedback guys really awesome, of course what I was originally was some TBBC but half the stores I asked looked at me like I was stupid and they never heard of it, and the the other half it seemed just didn't ever get it. I used Barnes ttsx on my African safari out of a .308 180gr and it worked beautifully, the smallest animal I shot was an impala, the biggest was between my Gemsbok and Kudu. Even though I recovered no bullets, clean shots in and out of the vitals right in and out behind both shoulders, they left massive exit holes, impala dropped in its tracks, neither Gemsbok or Kudu went more than 10 yds. But I was impressed and was trying to get opinions for this bear hunt. First time hunting here, spent a lot of $ on gear and prep on an E4 budget and want to do this right!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast