Thread: Skilak & Hidden Lakes

Default Skilak & Hidden Lakes

was wondering if anyone had ventured out to either of these lakes and what the ice conditions were. Last I hear Skilak was pretty thin at 2 to 4 inches, that was about 2 weeks ago. I haven't heard a word on Hidden Lake this year

QUOTE.....It was refuge we were on hidden lake.....fyi lots of overflow and about 8-10" of ice. UNQUOTE......By ''MRGSHOLLY''

From another post on a different thread.
    Your sarcasm is way, waaaayyyyyyyy more sarcastic than mine!

Quote Originally Posted by cod View Post
    QUOTE.....It was refuge we were on hidden lake.....fyi lots of overflow and about 8-10" of ice. UNQUOTE......By ''MRGSHOLLY''

From another post on a different thread.

Hidden and skilak can get spooky

Release Lake Trout

I bet it will the end of the month before we get out there with our trucks feeling safe.8"- 10" of ice I feel safe with snowmachine, but I need more for the truck . I can hardly wait to get out there . 8"-10" of ice and truck makes me feel uneasy ,sorta sick.

Quote Originally Posted by love em and leave em View Post
    ... 8"-10" of ice and truck makes me feel uneasy ,sorta sick.
    Yes, especially on that deep lake.

I still get the heebie jeebies driving my truck on the valley lakes where we have 20" or more now. Seems that your insurance card is a good fire starter once you drive on the ice, that's all it's worth. And I always imagine the bill would be enormous to get a 3/4ton ford removed from the bottom of a lake!

question is who are you going to call to actually pull a 3/4ton truck out hidden lake at say 60 to 120 feet... Thanks for the updates, thinking that kind of minimal ice this time of year means Skilak is probably way worse... such a weird winter.

Any reports from this weekend. Maybe gonna hit it up Hidden tommorow, or try anyways
    Responsible Conservation > Political Allocation

Please let us know how it is, the ice any ways I want to fish hidden very badly but Im scared .

Why the heck would anyone drive a truck on to a frozen lake? Especially the likes of Skilak and Hidden? Park and walk or bring a snowmachine!
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

Fished Hidden today. 10-12 inches of ice. No overflow, snow 6-8" on the lake, but it was snowing hard when I left

Quote Originally Posted by hoose35 View Post
    Fished Hidden today. 10-12 inches of ice. No overflow, snow 6-8" on the lake, but it was snowing hard when I left
    Ha, I thought about going out there today, but after running errands and the snow I was driving around in I figured I would just wait... glad someone went. how far back did you go? just curious if the ice is fairly consistent or if you were just close to the launch.

Quote Originally Posted by JOAT View Post
    Why the heck would anyone drive a truck on to a frozen lake? Especially the likes of Skilak and Hidden? Park and walk or bring a snowmachine!
    Well since you can't drive on Skilak it doesn't much matter. Sometimes it is just easier for a quick day run to drive out fish and drive home... but again it is not always the safest of choices and there have been more than a few break through. But driving on a frozen lake in general, happens on lots of different lakes in different places. Heck I-5 on Big lake is just that, and ice highway so people can get to there cabins and enjoy the lake in the winter.

I do have friends that still won't do it, freaks them out and I totally get that, so to each there own

Quote Originally Posted by akwchil View Post
    Ha, I thought about going out there today, but after running errands and the snow I was driving around in I figured I would just wait... glad someone went. how far back did you go? just curious if the ice is fairly consistent or if you were just close to the launch.
    I fished around the big point across from the first islands, then i went across to the big island, same ice thickness in every hole i drilled

Sent from my MB865 using Tapatalk