Thread: Help, stuck jag in barrel

Default Help, stuck jag in barrel

I know there have been others that have had this problem so I'm hoping someone has a solution. I'm very new to muzzleloader hunting and shooting. I just acquired a 45cal thompson center hawken style muzzleloader and decided to clean it real good before I put it in the safe. I oiled a patch put it over the jag and ran it down the barrel to see how clean it was to start with and got the jag stuck all the way at the breach end then the wood ram rod broke right at the muzzle end. I was able to get the ram rod out but the jag is still in there. The patch is now covering the threads and I can't get anything screwed onto it.... How can I get it out? There is no breach plug so I can't push it all the way through. Can I put a small bit of powder through the nipple and shoot it out?
    Any advice,
    Thanks
    Tony

Life is too short to pass up a day of hunting

Remove the barrel and push it out the breach end.

Quote Originally Posted by 0321Tony View Post
    I know there have been others that have had this problem so I'm hoping someone has a solution. I'm very new to muzzleloader hunting and shooting. I just acquired a 45cal thompson center hawken style muzzleloader and decided to clean it real good before I put it in the safe. I oiled a patch put it over the jag and ran it down the barrel to see how clean it was to start with and got the jag stuck all the way at the breach end then the wood ram rod broke right at the muzzle end. I was able to get the ram rod out but the jag is still in there. The patch is now covering the threads and I can't get anything screwed onto it.... How can I get it out? There is no breach plug so I can't push it all the way through. Can I put a small bit of powder through the nipple and shoot it out?
    Any advice,
    Thanks
    Tony

Yes you can shoot it out... It'll take awhile but you can do it. My dad had the same issue this year and jus kept putting a bit of powder in and firing till it came out

Release Lake Trout

Careful with shooting it out. If it's jammed at a cant, all hell will break loose.

In fact that barrel does have a removable breech, but it's pretty much a gunsmith job to remove it and replace it without cobbling up the works.

Here's an alternative that's worked great for me. Remove the nipple and replace it with a zerk fitting with the same threads( 1/4-28 ). Now snap your grease gun onto the zerk and grease away. Pushes obstructions right out. You'll have a bit of a job getting all the grease out, but it's a small price to pay compared to a smith job.

Works so well that I got zerk fittings with threads to match all my nipples.

Another alternative, and one I carry with me when ever I am shooting or hunting with my muzzleloader, is a C02 dispenser. I have one that uses the small C02 cartridges that are common and it attaches to a trigger/valve wnd rubber tip, press it against the nipple and discharge. It is great for unloading without burning powder and for clearing obstructions.

That's a good one when it works. In my experience though, it's pretty futile with stuck jags, if in fact they're jammed so badly that they resulted in a broken rod.

One precaution when using the CO2 unloaders for removing any load with loose powder. It can leave behind quite a lot of powder, which gets shoved back down into the breech when you swab after unloading. Bud of mine found out the hard way when the next morning he decided to pop a cap before reloading for our hunt. The noise, flash and smoke startled heck out of us, but that was nothing compared to what his wife had to say when she came boiling out of the house to investigate!

I have no experience with this, but just an idea that came to mind (may not be feasible, but figured it doesn't hurt to mention). Is there a way you could burn off the patch material that is interfering with getting something threaded onto it? If you could burn off the patch material, you might be able to get another rod threaded on to help free the piece.

Do you know for sure the gun was not loaded when you started? If so stick another rod down the bore and mark it. Snap a cap on it then recheck with your mark to see if it has moved. If it will move like this a few grains of powder in front of the nipple will blow it out. Keep it pointed in a safe direction at all times while working with it. Let us know when you get it out and how you done it.

I would try the CO2 cartridge before attempting to shoot it out. I like BrownBear's idea as a follow up. I would even take it to a smith before trying to shoot an obstruction out of a gun barrel (even black powder).

Would it be possible to blow it out with an air compressor?

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    Would it be possible to blow it out with an air compressor?
    Worth a try if you have a good fit. Did it once with dry ball (patched ball rammed home without any powder under it) with rubber tip installed on my comressor, then pressed it into the bolster after removing the nipple. That's cuzz I was out of CO2 carts. My concern is what jammed the jag in the first place. Zirk/grease gun will move lots more than compressed air.

Between mentally adjudicated and cybersapce

Had the same problem once, my Thompson Renegade barrel did have a removable breach. You have to look very closely, but you can see where the two parts separate. It did take a gunsmith with the right tools to get the job done. Lesson learned was to not use an oversized cleaning swab that would double over and bind inside the barrel.

I recommend taking it to a gunsmith to have the jag removed.

I'm curious what you ended up doing. and or did you get it out?

We need a update. Did you get it out and if so how did you do it?

After I got the jag stuck I had to leave the next morning for work and then immediately left for a duck hunt in the states. Now I'm back at work. I will try and get it out when I get back home on Thursday. Thanks for all the replies and ideas as soon as I get a chance I'll give all an update so hopefully someone can learn from this as well.

Sorry it took so long to get back to everyone but I got it out.. I tried first using just a cap to get it out but that didn't have enough. Next I sprinkled a little powder down the nipple and shot again, still no luck but I couldn't get hardly any in the nipple. Next I took the nipple out and was able to get just a few grains into it and shot it one more time and that did the trick. I shot it into a snowbank behind my house. I hope this will help anyone else that ever has this problem. Thanks again guys

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Good go.

I had composed a reply suggesting that you go ahead and SHOOT IT OUT, but I failed to send it.

I've shot lots of Dry Balls out successfully. I really don't see any potential for harm considering the small amount of powder you can get under the nipple.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.