Thread: Any Info on Kantishna?

Default Any Info on Kantishna?

Hello All,

I am inquiring about the Kantishna River. How is it in the moose hunt season. I have heard on the powerboat forum that it is doable in june, but i am thinking if it is doable by power boat then there will be tons of people out there. Any info would be great, just looking to put around in that area in the later end of sept. thanks.

It's been over hunted in recent years (<10 years). The lower end is hit pretty hard by motorboat traffic, and several groups float it each season. Expect less than 50% success rates for moose. Wolves and bear likely.

larry

Side note as well - All the rivers in that area have extreme heavy boat use on the lower end including the Cosna.

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...84-Cosna-River

Not only does the area have land parcels for sale from here to you can't see it is a well used traditional use are from Nenana etc.

A more viable option might be a drop camp on some of the more remote lakes with an inflatable canoe.

Sounds like someone is telling you to stay out of there hunting area.

All the more reason to find out just how good it is.

All I can say to that is HA! Really! OK call our bluff! Run on up! Enjoy the sights! Great place to hunt. Heck only used by little old ladies on Sunday. heck there are more Moose and opportunities to hunt there than I can shake a stick at. Nothing but trophy bulls. Ok I have had my fun sorry MacGyver. Honestly the upper portion of the area sees traffic the lower is a traditional use area and the better hunting with less traffic is on the remote lakes in the area.

Took a trip up there in 2011 and only saw a calf. tons of sign, we made it up about 20 miles in before we turned and headed back. saw lots of boat traffic. lots of high banks, and burns. i would go back but with a 4 stroke vs 2 stroke.

I use and hunt the Kantishna ever year. The river is easily navigatable up past river mile 100. I have personaly only been up to about river mile 60 or so, just above where the Toklat dumps in. My cabin is about river mile 40. A freind of mine has had his prop boat up past the Bearpaw. Considder that during the Kantishna Gold rush they used to run sternwheel steamers to the Toklat, Bearpaw and Lake Minchumina. While its true that there used to be more traffic on the lower river that has not been the case for the last few years. Price of gas maybe? Last year I didnt see any camps from the mouth to my cabin, usually I see between 1-3. And only 1 camp up by the Toklat, but those guys are like me, they go every year.

Anyhow, good luck on your hunt.

Have you been out there in the last few years? Would you say much has changed in the last three years in terms of the amount of people on the river during moose season KantishnaCabin? I'm interested in hunting out that way this year. Thanks.