Thread: 55gr Hornady V-Max

Default 55gr Hornady V-Max

Was going to try some calling this year, was curious if any one has used these bullets? I have just recently read an article on them in a magazine, guys were shooting coyotes with them and said they did pretty good, according to article they enter then fragment rapidly and do not exit the critter. Anyone up here used these, and if so, good or bad? Thanks
    "The man who reads nothing at all is better educated than the man who reads nothing but newspapers."
    Thomas Jefferson

I have not used them so I can't speak from personal experience. I have read lets of posts and heard how they handle so this is all "hear say". I've heard they do well with coyotes but blow lynx and fox up. Within the past 3-4 years I've shot 6 coyotes, 20+ fox & 6 lynx. I noticed in the areas I call I tend to get quite a bit more fox action and wanted a more fur friendly round for them while still being able to take down the larger critters. I have shot the 55gr Barnes TSX and from time to time if get a blow out on my fox but typically there's small entrance/exit wounds from this round.

I have not shot anything with them but paper. They do shoot nice. Also, midway had them on clearance last time I looked. I think they were about $16/100 which is a bit cheaper than you can get them locally.

You have to shoot the V-Max fast to get the action you describe from that bullet, there are at least half a dozen threads on this topic on this forum alone.

If your shooting coyotes, go for it, anything else, no good.

Ok thanks, guess Ill stick with the FMJ that I have
    "The man who reads nothing at all is better educated than the man who reads nothing but newspapers."
    Thomas Jefferson

I have experiemented with vmax loads and have had decent results. you have to load them hot, and i was using a 42gr vmax.. killed a few coyotes with this load and had the small entrance no exit result... depends on the shot placement.
    I have switched to a hot loaded 42gr nosler ballistic tip varmit lead free. these bullets are fully fragmenting and i love em. i have never had one of these loads exit a critter, always nice on hides if thats what your looking for. they kill relitively fast as well.
    “We abuse land because we regard it as a commodity belonging to us. When we see land as a community to which we belong, we may begin to use it with love and respect.” - (Aldo Leopold)

I would have to agree with you there joefish00000 Especially considering that I was the one who loaded them. A small correction however... They are 40 grain nosler ballistic tip varmint lead free bullets and they are hard to come by locally right now. But they definitely get the job done with no exits anywhere. So if you reload or know someone you trust enough to reload I would suggest at least trying these bullets out if you can get your hands on some.

joefish,
    Have you shot a fox or lynx with those 40gr Nosler's? I'm interested in how they did on fur? Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by joefish00000 View Post
    I have experiemented with vmax loads and have had decent results. you have to load them hot, and i was using a 42gr vmax.. killed a few coyotes with this load and had the small entrance no exit result... depends on the shot placement.
    I have switched to a hot loaded 42gr nosler ballistic tip varmit lead free. these bullets are fully fragmenting and i love em. i have never had one of these loads exit a critter, always nice on hides if thats what your looking for. they kill relitively fast as well.
    Interesting to hear your success with these, i have a couple boxes but I couldn't get them to shoot well out of my 1x8 barrel, I didn't try very hard though so maybe i'll give them a more honest try with some different powders.

Any idea how yours are loaded?

rocketman is my friend who makes these laods.
    Quote Originally Posted by rocket man View Post
    I would have to agree with you there joefish00000 Especially considering that I was the one who loaded them. A small correction however... They are 40 grain nosler ballistic tip varmint lead free bullets and they are hard to come by locally right now. But they definitely get the job done with no exits anywhere. So if you reload or know someone you trust enough to reload I would suggest at least trying these bullets out if you can get your hands on some.
    “We abuse land because we regard it as a commodity belonging to us. When we see land as a community to which we belong, we may begin to use it with love and respect.” - (Aldo Leopold)

Quote Originally Posted by snowcamoman View Post
    joefish,
    Have you shot a fox or lynx with those 40gr Nosler's? I'm interested in how they did on fur? Thanks.
    I have yet to have that load exit on a varmit.. My buddy shot a median sized porcupine and there was a small entry and no exit if that gives you any idea of fur dammage. these loads are amazing and if your looking to save hides the nosler bt lead free is the way to go.

the v-max 55gr you are asking about groups very well on paper but....makes huge holes in fur from my personal expierience. ive shot some fox with the v max and the holes were terrible, i wouldnt use them again on animals. the 55gr fmj are wayyyy better in my opinion but they dont group quite as well out of my .223.

Quote Originally Posted by snowcamoman View Post
    joefish,
    I have shot three lynx with 40gr ballistic tips every one stayed inside. Really nice bullet.

Quote Originally Posted by akomppa View Post
    I have shot three lynx with 40gr ballistic tips every one stayed inside. Really nice bullet.

What kind of velocity are you pushing with your reloads?

Rocket Man, would you be opposed to sharing your load data on this round? For some reason PM is disabled on my account or I'd contact you that way. I've got the bullets but am wondering what the powder info is you use for this load.

Quote Originally Posted by Angler021 View Post
    Rocket Man, would you be opposed to sharing your load data on this round? For some reason PM is disabled on my account or I'd contact you that way. I've got the bullets but am wondering what the powder info is you use for this load.
    Check forum rules. You need a minimum number of posts to use the pm function.

My favorite Iowa coyote rifle over the last few years is a recent production Ruger Mini 14. It shoots 40 grain Vmaxes or 40 grain Ballistic Tips into an inch and a half at 100 yards and that's good for a Mini 14. 29 grains of CFE223 runs those little pills 3560fps out of the short barreled Mini. They do not exit but they sure turn the motor off if you hit them in the boiler room. I can't say that i can see much difference in performance between the Hornadys and the Ballistic Tips. You get a little back splash with either if you hit a rib and that usually makes the entrance hole visible.... otherwise you have to look for it. You get about the same expansion from a 55 grain Vmax out of 22-250 and since the ftlbs are bigger they make a mess when they come out the back side. They don't always get all the way through but when they do it ain't pretty. If they are hit in the paunch with that 22-250 round then it needs to happen way before or way after lunch!