Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cordova

Default Cordova

Hi everyone! I posted a little while back about Kodiak which we decided would not work for our family. I am excited to be traveling to Cordova in 2 weeks for an interview. We have been looking at moving options and I have some questions for anyone that has moved to Cordova.

We have been planning on driving a U-Haul and one of our vehicles. The issue with Cordova is that we do not know if it will be better to just take the U-Haul through Canada or take the ferry from Bellingham. If anyone has done either, can you please give me some advice?!?

Thanks you guys!

You will have to check out ferry schedule for trips to CDV and then the cost per foot.

CDV is a great little town. Kind of expensive, though.

AK Ray - I checked out the ferry from Bellingham to Cordova. It is super expensive. They don't give prices online for a large Uhaul, but I did an estimate for one that is 25'. About $8,000!

True about the price of the ferry but worth every penny in my book. You are going to need to put the uhaul on a ferry to get it to Cordova anyways so why not take the whole trip that way? Its a nice relazing ride on the ferry, lots of pretty scenery, and you are not sitting behind the wheel of a bug uhaul for 3500 miles.... Besides, when you look at what gas is going to cost you along with hotels for the night, the price of driving it the whole way doesnt really save you that much. Thats just my opinion though.

Ron

If you have a truck, it's much more cost effective to buy a fully enclosed 14-16' trailer or 4 place snowmobile trailer and use it to move. You can buy one for about the same what uhaul will rent one to you and often sell it for what you paid for it. I generally suggest when moving up to sell off as much of your stuff as possible to make the move easier, but in a smaller community such as Cordova you're not going to have as easy a time replacing items.

There is no inexpensive way to move from the lower 48 to an off the road system Alaskan location.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

Barge stuff from Seattle to Anchorage. Drive/fly yourself. AK marine ferry from Whittier to Cordova.

Probably saves money. But of course is dependent on your travel times and barge availability.

Thank you so much for the replies. I wish we could fly ourselves but we are too big of a family. I have 5 children. 1 is grown, but might be moving with us. The next is starting college after this school year, but she is also making the drive with us to check out where we will be living. So, it is more economical for us to drive all the way or take the ferry route. I hope that we can take the ferry because it sounds amazing!!!

Quote Originally Posted by S&TV View Post
    Hi everyone! I posted a little while back about Kodiak which we decided would not work for our family. I am excited to be traveling to Cordova in 2 weeks for an interview. We have been looking at moving options and I have some questions for anyone that has moved to Cordova.

We have been planning on driving a U-Haul and one of our vehicles. The issue with Cordova is that we do not know if it will be better to just take the U-Haul through Canada or take the ferry from Bellingham. If anyone has done either, can you please give me some advice?!?

Thanks you guys!
    One thing you should look into/consider is that if you are renting a U-Haul, I doubt you can do a one-way rental to Cordova. You will likely have to return it to somewhere on the road system Anchorage, maybe Valdez. If so, you will have to factor in additional ferry trips to drop off the truck and return to Cordova. It might be cheaper and easier to drive your stuff to Tacoma WA and drop it off with a barge company that makes stops in Cordova (Samson Tug and Barge is one). You could return the U-Haul truck there and then continue on with your personal vehicle. Once in Cordova, rent a local truck to get your stuff to your new home.

You are right - there is not a return place close. What we have been looking at is buying an old U-Haul truck outright. We have looked at a few of them locally and it is the same as renting one for the distance. So far, that seems to be the best bang for the buck. My husband is a car person, so that is not an issue (thank goodness).

I am getting an estimate from Lynden as well. I can only imagine what that will cost, but it might surprise me!

We looked at that option (buying a panel truck) when we moved up. In the end we decided to go with a trailer and towed it up and sold it after we got settled in. Sounds like you are already looking at it, but sticking the whole truck on a barge in Tacoma and picking it up in Cordova may not be a bad way to go logistically.

When we were planning our trip up, everyone said we should go see this and stop and see that. We didn't do much of that because I was never comfortable leaving all of our stuff sitting in a parking lot or at a trail head. Plus, we were towing with an old Bronco and had more than our share of mechanical issues to deal with on the way up.

I just received our estimate from AML/Lynden for picking our stuff up in south Georgia and taking it all the way to Cordova and dropping it at our new residence. It was only $11,000. That is a 40 ft container. I have to say I am pretty excited about that price. It would cost at least $10,000 to buy a panel truck and get it there at 10mpg!!! The ferry would cost us $9,500 for us and a U-Haul from Bellingham to Cordova. I'm voting the container route!

Check onto ak logistics

Thanks you guys!
    What part of ga? My wife and I have made the Alaska trip to atl four times and flown every time. We've only paid for four tickets at a time and since we live in the bush we feel that flying is more cost efficient (time is worth something).

I just received our estimate from AML/Lynden for picking our stuff up in south Georgia and taking it all the way to Cordova and dropping it at our new residence. It was only $11,000. That is a 40 ft container. I have to say I am pretty excited about that price. It would cost at least $10,000 to buy a panel truck and get it there at 10mpg!!! The ferry would cost us $9,500 for us and a U-Haul from Bellingham to Cordova. I'm voting the container route!
    This would be worth it.

That sounds like a viable option. Although, one thing to consider with the panel truck option, is that if you were able to get a good deal on a new panel truck, you could likely turn around and sell it pretty easily here for what you paid for it.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

We are in Statesboro, which is about an hour west of Savannah. Did you come here to visit?

Yeah, I have mixed feelings, but the container route might be the cheapest and allow us to take more of our belongings. A panel truck would definitely sell in Anchorage, but not so sure about Cordova

We had to rearrange my interview, but tickets have been purchased and I have a reservation at the Reluctant Fisherman in Cordova. I am super excited to get to visit and explore. I have a question for you boaters (don't laugh haha). Does anyone ever take their own boat from Cordova to Valdez or Whittier? I know it is a hop, skip, and longgg jump but just wondering???

I haven't boated from Whittier to Cordova yet, but it's feasible with a good ocean going boat, sufficient fuel and calm water. Same as Whittier to Valdez.

So if you're planning on getting an ocean going boat with the thought that you could use it to get out once in ahile, it's feasible. That said, Valdez would be the better option of the two in regards with what you'd be able to do when you got there and likely a better chiance of finding a transient slip.

BTW, the suitable boat I'd consider for such a trip would be a 24-26' minimum with a pilot house. The trip could be made in a 20' skiff or 16' zodiac, but it would be sporty.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

We are in Statesboro, which is about an hour west of Savannah. Did you come here to visit?
    I'm from the Rome/Cartersville/Dallas area. I grew up west of ATL.
    As a Georgia Boy...Alaska is way better. Except for the biscuits.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast