Thread: Kodiak goat question

Somewhere between lucky and extremely lucky

Default Kodiak goat question

I am beginning to plan a trip to Kodiak next year, late sept-early oct. I am going to bring my bow in the hopes of harvesting a goat or 2 and a few deer. I am planning to hunt the registration area on the south end of the island. I have hunted kodiak several times, and know what to expect weather wise. I have a couple questions that I would appreciate anyone's insight on.

1. What have you found to be a successful method of hunting goats with a bow? Pattern them and ambush? Stalk from above? Same question for deer.

2. Any high alpine lake recommendations from Spiridon River south would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
    Experience is the name every one gives to their mistakes. ~Wilde

Stay out of site. Approach from above. Wear white clothing. Most of the time, goats are too far from the lakes too hunt in one day. Set up a base camp on the lake, and spike out for a few days closer to the goats. Expect extreme weather; rain and wind. The goats have much better coats at the end of October and the deer are coming into rut.

Chugiak, AK.

In regards to deer hunting, I've found that if they can't smell you, you can (in a lot of cases) almost walk right up to them. I have stalked deer on several occasions, with no intention of killing, and they've let me casually walk to within 10-15 yards all the while I was in plan sight. On all of those occasions, I was down wind of them. These were taken with my iPhone a couple years ago. This was obviously a doe, but I've done it with bucks also.