Thread: Small reflex sight for 1911

Default Small reflex sight for 1911

I am currently building a para ordnance 1911 in 460 rowland and cannot find an adjustable sight set for it. So I am considering a burris or leupold micro red dot for the job. Anyone have any experience with these holding up to heavy recoil?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Burris Fastfire or Trijicon RMR. I've seen both mounted on the FNX (never shot one myself). Both seem to handle the recoil fine. I would think they could handle the 1911. As for the Rowland, not sure. That's a good question.

If you're just looking for a site to add and don't really need it mounted to the top of the rail, you could look into one of these:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Tactical-Pis...p2054897.l4276

It mounts to a rail on the fram and gives a rail on top of the gun without mounting to the slide. In this case, the recoil is irrelevant to the optic because it never moves.

They also make them where you can replace some of the pins and add the scope mount without a rail on your gun.

That's a lot bulkier than I was interested in doing.

Default Small reflex sight for 1911

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1389040822.368894.jpg this is the pistol in current state. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1389040956.801972.jpgThis is the optic and I would like to mount the same way as in the picture.

Quote Originally Posted by barber8605 View Post
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1389040822.368894.jpg this is the pistol in current state. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1389040956.801972.jpgThis is the optic and I would like to mount the same way as in the picture.

Ah, well then you need one of these instead:

http://www.brownells.com/optics-moun...prod41850.aspx

Just pick the one that fits your rear sight mount. The drawback being that you lose your irons completely. Since the mount replaces the rear sights and the front post would be too low. These mounts put the sight higher on the slide than the standard irons would be. Which is why you don't see a front post in that second picture.

Of course, that's no big deal really, just be aware that no battery means no sights.

I've seen people who pay to have their slide milled so that the optic is recessed into the slide. Then pick up a set of taller suppressor sights for the back-ups. Doing that co-witnesses the dot with the irons and gives you a back up in case the battery dies.

http://www.bowietacticalconcepts.com/pictures.html

Check the bottom of that page and you'll see some examples.

I don't know anyone that has mounted optics to the slide of a 1911 but I would think it would beat apart anything fixed to the slide.

Quote Originally Posted by rbuck351 View Post
    I don't know anyone that has mounted optics to the slide of a 1911 but I would think it would beat apart anything fixed to the slide.
    Just fyi, the Tirjicon RMR and the Burris Fastfire are both made to be on the slide. They have been tested a lot and can handle the recoil. Not sure about the Rowland, but I've seen both installed on the slides of several semi-autos. Very popular in the competition realms.

Most comp shooting is done with light bullets not going to fast but that still doesn't mean there aren't optics that will take the recoil. The Rowland is going to have pretty fast slide speed going both ways and stopping really quick. That has got to be hard on stuff. But, I don't personally know anyone that has tried slide mounted optics on a Rowland. It may work, but I'm not mounting that kind of money on one to find out.

I've ran this c more on my glock 10mm with hot hand loads with no changes to point of impact after thousand rounds. This is mounted in the dove tail mount which I was a little nervous about but has been totally solid. Of course your talking a fair amount more recoil I'd email cmore and ask their opinion

Sent from my C771 using Tapatalk 2

Most comp shooting is done with light bullets not going to fast but that still doesn't mean there aren't optics that will take the recoil. The Rowland is going to have pretty fast slide speed going both ways and stopping really quick. That has got to be hard on stuff. But, I don't personally know anyone that has tried slide mounted optics on a Rowland. It may work, but I'm not mounting that kind of money on one to find out.
    Oh yeah the Rowland is certainly an unknown. I was just saying that reflex sights are available for semi-auto's. They can take a decent beating. I know some are tested to take the shock of large bore revolvers, but that doesn't represent the motion of a semi-auto slide. So it's definitely an unknown.

C More Systems makes very good stuff. I have one of their older Holo sights but I'm still not going to mount it on a slide. I have it mounted on a Buckmark but it mounts to a replacement grip panel that extends up over the top of the gun. It's not as compact as a dovetail mount but it's not bad.

C More Systems makes very good stuff. I have one of their older Holo sights but I'm still not going to mount it on a slide. I have it mounted on a Buckmark but it mounts to a replacement grip panel that extends up over the top of the gun. It's not as compact as a dovetail mount but it's not bad.
    That's kind of why I was thinking initially install it on a static mount above the slide. Then the slide action is taken out of the picture. But OP said he didn't want that bulky. Oh, I searched C More and found a pretty interesting option:

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/228...ver?cm_vc=U111

Again, probably too bulky, but not a bad way to go if bulk isn't an issue.

Not sure I want to be the one to find out either. I'm changing directions and looking to get the slide machined to accept normal dovetail sights. Any suggestions on a good set of adjustable night sights.

I would bet Andy could fix you up being close to ya and may have something laying around all ready
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Quote Originally Posted by Amigo Will View Post
    I would bet Andy could fix you up being close to ya and may have something laying around all ready
    Which Andy are you speaking of?

Quote Originally Posted by barber8605 View Post
    Not sure I want to be the one to find out either. I'm changing directions and looking to get the slide machined to accept normal dovetail sights. Any suggestions on a good set of adjustable night sights.

The adjustable requirement takes out a lot of good names in sights. Novak seems to be a really popular one for 1911's, but they don't make an adjustable. Maybe these?

http://www.brownells.com/handgun-par...108-61206.aspx

But I've got no experience with them. I prefer Trijicon HD, but they aren't adjustable. One thing that might be useful is that there are very few makers of the tritium inserts out there. From what I recall, even the cheaper brand name sights use the same inserts as guys like Trijicon do. SO you don't need to spend that kind of money if you don't want to.