Thread: Small Tractor?

Default Small Tractor?

I was just looking at small tractors in Craigslist: http://fairbanks.craigslist.org/hvd/4226610895.html I was planning to do some leveling to put in a garage next summer along with a few other jobs around the house. Has anyone here found something that size the least bit useful for dirt work or is just an expensive toy? Thanks....Louis
    Louis Knapp

Its not a D8 but in the end it can do the same work,just takes more time.Handy rig for the handy home/property owner.I would get a bushhog mower and grading/snow blade to go with it.Dang don't forget a post hole digger.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

That's a great price with the hoe included. I found a set of forks to be very useful as well.
    Once you have a small tractor you will find lots of uses for it.

Is that a 4WD model?

Looks nice......
    BK

I used to have the John Deere version of that Kubota and really liked it. At the time I was a custom homebuilder and used it for all the things that I'd previously done by hand and it was great. I sold it when I moved to Alaska though and when it came time to take a piece of equipment out to our cabin I skipped the compact route and bought a full size backhoe. While the compact model is great for small jobs, and you can in fact pick at large jobs a little bit at a time, a Case 580 does in an hour what I did in a day with my compact one. Plus, it will do things that my John Deere wouldn't, like carry off the stumps and root balls that get dug up. Some of these stumps are big enough that I don't think the compact would even dig them up. I bought the Case used and in good condition and the price was about the same as a new Kubota. I would chime in with those that recommend 4wd too, as they are easy to get stuck and 4wd makes a big difference.
    Anyway, any piece of equipment is a bonus to have out at your cabin so good luck.

in the state seperated from the lower 48 by Canada

Get the backhoe thumb and a land leveler or box beam leveler.
    Hard to find used locally (to take out to a remote cabin) but there are Seattle shopping/shipping options.
    Freight forwarder wants $2000 to anchorage and AKRR wants $1500 to haul it across two narrow RR bridges. Och....

Tractors are either too big or too little depending upon what you are doing....err on the side of too big, 4WD and lots of attachments and a loader big enough to lift a moose.
    Somewhere along the way I have lost the ability to act politically correct. If you should find it, please feel free to keep it.

You said you want it to do some leveling in your OP. You need to get it with a box gannon on the rear. Seems to have the 3-PT hitch but didn't see the option listed below in the ad. You may not have much experience with tractors and if you don't you will have a heck of a time trying to do some grading with the front bucket. The ad says 0% financing for 60 months. That's darn good so would see if I could get any or all attachments voided in the financing. The gannon has many uses. The hoe is just a good additional option.

The biggest factor to decide on is overall size. Usually that's classified by horsepower of the engine. I've had a 24hp Kubota and a 30hp New Holland. The bigger size is more capable for heavier work. It really is that simple. I require 4WD. Hydrostatic tranny is nice but not required. I have a loader and backhoe. The backhoe is frame mounted and releases quickly but I've never removed it. Tractors are cool but don't overlook the utility of a mini excavator. Especially if you want to add a pile driver attachment, which I'd love. My tractor's hydraulic pump doesn't have the required volume rating for a rattle hammer. That's my only disappointment with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Pid View Post
    The biggest factor to decide on is overall size. Usually that's classified by horsepower of the engine. I've had a 24hp Kubota and a 30hp New Holland. The bigger size is more capable for heavier work. It really is that simple. I require 4WD. Hydrostatic tranny is nice but not required. I have a loader and backhoe. The backhoe is frame mounted and releases quickly but I've never removed it. Tractors are cool but don't overlook the utility of a mini excavator. Especially if you want to add a pile driver attachment, which I'd love. My tractor's hydraulic pump doesn't have the required volume rating for a rattle hammer. That's my only disappointment with it.
    What size mini ex do you have? I'm in the equipment business and we have breakers for machines in the 3000 lb weight capacity; real small mini excaators. Also, a thumb is very important on one as well.

I have a tractor. I often wish I had a mini excavator instead. There isn't much I've done with my tractor that a mini wouldn't have done.

Thanks, folks for your input. I'm still thinking. The price on the small tractor is good and sounds like it could be a very useful piece of equipment. One must always consider if he is wanting to buy something he needs, or inventing a need for something he wants. I may be better off looking for the right price for used equipment....or getting by without it. I saw this also advertised in Craig's list: http://fairbanks.craigslist.org/hvo/4291543588.html I'm thinking the price may be a little too good to be true....misprint? If not It probably sold in about 15 minutes. If the price is true and anyone here sees it and buys it....I don't want to hear about it!
    Louis Knapp

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Pid View Post
    I have a tractor. I often wish I had a mini excavator instead. There isn't much I've done with my tractor that a mini wouldn't have done.
    I have a 6,000 lb Volvo EC 25 mini excavator at my house and I will be moving it over to my cabin (which is built) for clearing the beach of boulders and digging the septic system. Small excavators are not good off road, you end up using your arm because the tracks often slip or sink into the ground (unless you have materials like trees and branches to make an equipment road). It may be small for lifting, but I have rolled some very big boulders with it. It is also great for tree work and firewood assistance. My neighbor has an old backhoe and that seems to be the better one machine to have having an excavator bucket and the front end bucket. Get something with a PTO and then you have a lot of options of things you can do.

Sobie2