Thread: Fishphone calling all rainbows

Default Fishphone calling all rainbows

Shot and edited some video today on the Vexilar Fishphone. Video quality improved as daylight improved and the camera made the difference in catching vs fishing - I caught about 15, but my partner hit an O4. Kept a limit of eaters and the big one went back.

Death is like an old whore in a bar--I'll buy her a drink but I won't go upstairs with her.

Very cool video. Are those rainbow fry on the bottom by the gravel? Or some other small bait fish?

Interesting stuff. Really shows you a lot about fish under the ice.

The sculpin almost getting the chomp at the end of the vid was awesome. Looked like you were using shrimp? Great post!

Cool Cool. Here's my first test of the fish phone. Like Milo said, the light makes a huge difference. I tried Big Lake today and it really never got light out. It was dark and dreary all day. The fish I caught was in 7 ft of water and you can't see the bottom. I was in a friends fish house but this was at noon!

The next set of camera "looking down" shots was in about 12 feet of water at probably the lightest part of the day.

I tried it from the side from about 4 ft away and I was actually surprised to see that it was probably too close. Its definitely not the go pro wide angle lens.

I guess you have to expect it from a cheap camera but the light gathering quality is not so good. It's definitely, in anything but the brightest condition, won't be anything I use in my videos too much. Especially since it records in 240p...terrible resolution.

I did try it with and without lights. The take away from the light test is that the water better be ultra clear. Otherwise its like driving in thick fog with your high beams on. I was surprised to see the fish didn't seem bothered when I flipped the switch on.

It ran from noon to 6 pm and I still had plenty of battery left. I also had the LED lights on from about 4:30 to the end. The thing that surprised me the most was that my iPad ran the same length of time with the brightness turned down and it was above 50% power at the end.

SO... Don't buy it if you are looking to post pretty underwater videos. BUT it worked well enough that my neck and back aren't sore from staring down the hole all day. It definitely added some "enjoyment" to the ice fishing which is probably all you can ask for in a camera under $200. I would say the delay is insignificant enough that you can still set the hook by watching the video. Still debating if this is the World's Best video game...or technology gone amuck cutting into what really is "real" fishing....

The video is NOT very good quality. But I wanted to post it in case people were wondering what it i capable of.

Not sure what all the little fish were - a few different kinds. Used shrimp mostly, but caught one on Berkley powerbait.

We were only in about 4-5 fow, set up in the dark this morning and fished till 1:00pm It didn't get enough light for it to kick into color video until about 12:15. I turned the led lights on twice and the rainbows did NOT like it.

... and make sure you have your 2014 license, troopers were out today. Just like last weekend.
    Death is like an old whore in a bar--I'll buy her a drink but I won't go upstairs with her.

I bet having one of these would clear up a lot of whats showing up on my vexilar flasher. I had fish around a lot today at Nancy but no hook ups.

Very cool so many bait fish. Chomp

Have you had any problems getting the camera to look the direction you wanted when under water?

Awesome videos

It was a bit of a struggle but the cable is rigid enough that you can twist the cable and it turns the camera fairly well. They include a rubber cork type of line stopper that helps. The LED light was very useful in getting it pointed in the right direction. I'm sure others may be able to do it better than I did, but it took probably a few minutes to get it pointed right. That's part of the reason my shots were from above. Saw fish right after I drilled so I didn't want to waste time adjusting.

AlaskaKayakFisher.com
    Guidesak.blogspot.com
    My personal pages...I'm not a guide.

It was a bit of a pain to line up. I thought the rubber stopper is a little cheesy, but functional. Slight adjustments can be made by pivoting the arm that holds the camera. I also used the LED lights to line it up because I could look down the hole and easily see which way it was pointed. I did not put my shanty up or it would have been easier.

Tried it again. Set up in 10 ft of water. Little brighter day so the camera worked a little bit better. I even got it to switch over to color for about 2 hours before I lost the light again.

Saw my first pike in Big Lake. I've seen pictures from reliable sources, of course the forum postings, and I did see one small one landed near me a few years ago, but this is the first time I have ever seen one in my hole. I can see why people spear them. Considering they are portrayed as aggressive killing machines, I have had more pike not hit a bait, then I have hit the bait once I have seen them even in other locations. Can't say that for Char, rainbows, or burbot in Big Lake. Very few times ever, have I seen one of those three come into my hole and at least not take a whack at my lure/bait.

So not super fast action but it sure beats sitting at home!!!!! Would recommend NOT maximizing the screen size as the resolution is just too poor on these cameras with low light. But the video is a lot more clear than yesterday's. Not sure why there is dead space at the end of the vid.