Thread: looking for a log cabin kit builder on the Kenai Peninsula

Boat and Condo are in Seward, but I live in Centreville, VA most of the year

Default looking for a log cabin kit builder on the Kenai Peninsula

I'm planning on putting a log cabin on property I own near Petrof Glacier. The closer to the property the easier and cheaper it is to get the kit on site. I have contacted a couple of kit builders in the area, but I have some concerns. Most of the associated web sites are defunct and the phones have been disconnected. This suggests that a lot of people start up these types of businesses and fail. The ones I have been able to contact talk a good story and I will visit them in the spring to see first hand the milling operations.

So, I'm soliciting recommendations on reputable log cabin kit builders on the Kenai Peninsula. I'm not looking for a builder, just the kits.

Perhaps not exactly what you want, but my cabin (20x24) was built by the Keizer brothers in Whitehorse (http://www.keizerlogworks.com). Their website isn't the most elegant, but they do great work at a reasonable price. They build the log part of the cabin on their lot in Whitehorse and then deliver and assemble on your location (took one day to assemble mine in far NW BC). Might be a bit far plus the whole border thing, but if it might work for you, have a look at their website. Really nice guys as well.

I'll check it out anyway. What I want is about the same size as yours. Mind telling me what it cost? Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by NeverLand View Post
    I'll check it out anyway. What I want is about the same size as yours. Mind telling me what it cost? Thanks.
    Cost for the logwork was $27k. Link to our photo page where you can get an idea of the quality of the work. More photos than you probably want, but some of them might be useful.

https://picasaweb.google.com/gregarehart/AtlinCabin

Greg

Quote Originally Posted by Atlin View Post
    Cost for the logwork was $27k. Link to our photo page where you can get an idea of the quality of the work. More photos than you probably want, but some of them might be useful.

https://picasaweb.google.com/gregarehart/AtlinCabin

Greg
    That's impressive. Also, a very competitive price. It's really going to get down to transporting. Thanks.

Check out Turned Logs of Alaska, he does great work!
    Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day,
    Teach a man to fish and he'll also learn to drink, lie, and avoid the honey do list.

Quote Originally Posted by Ak Bird Brain View Post
    I'll check it out, thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Ak Bird Brain View Post

Well, they were probably the best deal in Alaska. But their web site is shut down and the phone number I found in an old listing is no longer in service. Anyone know how to get ahold of them, or have they gone out of business? They were located in Soldotna, which would have been a very good location, for my purpose.

Quote Originally Posted by NeverLand View Post

Well, they were probably the best deal in Alaska. But their web site is shut down and the phone number I found in an old listing is no longer in service. Anyone know how to get ahold of them, or have they gone out of business? They were located in Soldotna, which would have been a very good location, for my purpose.

His name is Larry Needs you can check for a listing. I have another idea that could work for you if you're interested, PM me.

Quote Originally Posted by logman 49 View Post
    His name is Larry Needs you can check for a listing. I have another idea that could work for you if you're interested, PM me.
    Thanks. PM sent.

There is a log cabin builder in Cooper Landing that is quite good.
    He built Alaska Troutfitters new store a few years ago.

There is a guy on the corner or Swanson river road and Robinson loop that builds cabin kits. I don't know the prices I just see him build one or two a summer and then sell them off. He has one sitting there right now. I think he builds them and when they sell he disassembles them. From the road it all looks tight but have not looked up close.

Life is too short to pass up a day of hunting