Thread: POW Anchorages

Default POW Anchorages

Well be out on the POW coast next summer fishing in mid-July for about 7 days and Im looking for suggestions on anchorages near the fishing grounds. We will be on a 32 footer and wanting to stay in Craig a bit (hopefully when the commercial fleet is out of town) but Id also like to find some convenient spots closer to the grounds for several nights since our boat is speed challenged.

Its been 20+ years since I fished the coast of POW (commercially on a seiner). I can recall anchoring in Steamboat Bay which seems to be a good location for fishing Noyes as long as its not full of seiners and tenders offloading all night. Port San Antonio also looks like a decent and protected spot for fishing Baker, as long as the weather allows rounding Cape Bartolome. Comments on these spots or any other suggestions would be heartily welcomed. Thanks!

Steamboat isn't used too much anymore. A SE wind rips through that valley and seems to intensify in steamboat bay, so beware of that if you seek anchorage in there. It'll make for a long night. In tight behind Cape Ulika is a good anchorage and the bigger boats use it often. Should be plenty of room. Kelly Cove, further S down St Nicholas Channel. Port Real Marina seems to be a popular anchorage for the mega-yachts. They are usually on the baker shoreline. I see trollers anchored up on that flat on the N side of Cone Island. Seems to be one of the better places to anchor. I've spent the night anchored a few times in Little Veta bay too, on Baker island.

Good luck. I'm sure you have a coast pilot?

Great feedback. Thanks 270! I wondered about Port Real Marina. That, Cone Island, and Little Veta would be really convenient for fishing Baker. I'm only going to consider anchoring as long as the weather forecast is promising. I've spent my fair share of nights on anchor watch; and that's definitely not part of the itinerary.

And yes, I'll have the CP, Coastal Explorer and Douglass' Exploring SE. I find it amazing how these have opened Alaska to the general boating public. In the 70's and 80's we had to survive with our paper charts and Capt. Hansen's Handbook.

Quote Originally Posted by jwl View Post
    Great feedback. Thanks 270! I wondered about Port Real Marina. That, Cone Island, and Little Veta would be really convenient for fishing Baker. I'm only going to consider anchoring as long as the weather forecast is promising. I've spent my fair share of nights on anchor watch; and that's definitely not part of the itinerary.

And yes, I'll have the CP, Coastal Explorer and Douglass' Exploring SE. I find it amazing how these have opened Alaska to the general boating public. In the 70's and 80's we had to survive with our paper charts and Capt. Hansen's Handbook.
    There is also a float in Hole in the Wall. It was in pretty rough shape the last time I saw it, but I heard they had funds fix it up. That's a good place to be in a good blow. I've seen multiple trollers tied up to it. I'm assuming you'll be trolling for salmon with a trawler? Lots of good "drags" all around noyes, and don't think you have to go out in the open ocean to catch fish. The backside of St Josephs is good, as well as the north side of Noyes. You can troll from Ulika down to Steamboat too on those shallow flats on the Noyes shoreline. Steamboat bay can have some very good king fishing in it. A few years ago it was one of the hottest bites going for a couple of weeks. Only 2 of us knew about it too. That entire Hole in the Wall area is good fishing too.

Veta bay, granite point, and right on the outside of Little Veta can be good salmon fishing. It's exposed though, so it can get a little lumpy. We don't fish the E side of Baker much, but there are some good spots right at the Cape Bart and down towards Pepper Point. Suemez is good fishing, outside of Port Santa Cruz up towards Cape Felix. (Santa Cruz is a good anchorage, and can be good king fishing) Arboleda is a good spot to fish too, and remains flat calm on a SE gale.

Good luck. It's a very fishy area.

Love the thread, very interesting reading for myself. hope to be needing the same information next year. I have one question ( don't want to interfere with the thread ) . What is the coast pilot when used in reference within this thread ?

Coast Pilot is a book that lists all anchorages, and other points of interest. It's a USCG requirement to have on board for all commercial vessels above a certain tonnage. It's handy of venturing into parts you haven't been before. SE AK is coast pilot #8.

http://www.nauticalcharts.noaa.gov/n...t_w.php?book=8