Thread: ATV Electrical Modification

Lightbulb ATV Electrical Modification

My 05 Honda Rancher's battery can't seem to handle the constant use of the winch for the plow. Battery is fairly new. My idea is to put a larger conventional car battery on the rear rack, run two leads to the ATV battery, and after a plowing, back up to an outlet and charge the rear battery with a tickle charger. In the summer, remove it.

Anyone think this is a good or bad idea? Or, something different that might be better.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Yeh sure, you can piggyback to get more amp hours.

Maybe upgrading your primary battery and your charging system would be an option too.

I would consider putting in a battery disconnect and wiring a pig tail for a trickle charger into it. For more juice batteries plus usually has stronger batteries in the same size or at least a size close enough that it will fit in the factory location.

Quote Originally Posted by Daveinthebush View Post
    My 05 Honda Rancher's battery can't seem to handle the constant use of the winch for the plow. Battery is fairly new. My idea is to put a larger conventional car battery on the rear rack, run two leads to the ATV battery, and after a plowing, back up to an outlet and charge the rear battery with a tickle charger. In the summer, remove it.

Anyone think this is a good or bad idea? Or, something different that might be better.

Daveinthebush It's a very good idea if you use only one big car battery. Putting two batteries in parallel that are not the same cause problems when you try to charge and discharge them. Run big cables going to the atv battery (+) cable and ground connection. The battery also needs to be charge using a good battery charger not a tickle charger. Trickle charger are low current charger and can not supply enough current to properly charge a battery. If the atv is left outside in the cold I would insulated it and add a battery blanket to keep it warm this will also help in recharging the battery.

I found some information on other ATV forums. Will probably put a marine battery on the rear rack, run cables to the other cables and pull the ATV battery for the winter. Will have to look into a bigger charger too.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Just get a better battery for the atv, I have an Odyssey that has been plowing for years with no problems. I would check the charging system on the atv as well.
    2007 Kingfisher 2825 - Stor Fisk

Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top. -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sometimes when I plow with my ATV I get a pretty hard jolt. Like if you clip a log/tree/rock/etc that is frozen to the ground, or put a tire up/over same, or maybe I'm just rough.

But in any regards, I'd put some padding between the battery and the hard rack so you don't crack the battery's case.

Towards the end of a high snow season ATV plowing is difficult when the snow berms are a few times taller than your blade. In these cases I hit the berm hard to get the pile higher; its quite a lot like being in a front end collision. So, I would also double tie down that battery to the rack so that the front end collision thing doesn't throw that battery right into the driver's back.

Be safe and happy plowing. It's way more fun that a snowblower.

Dave,
    Here is what I have done and required no electrical mods at all.
    1). I installed a snowmachine battery. (More reserve amps and fit right in battery box.)
    2). I installed a battery pad heater.
    3). I installed an oil pan heater
    4). I installed a battery tender for like an atv.
    5). I changed oil to mobile 1
    I wired all of this into a 4 way box and keep the 4 wheeler plugged in when not in use. I did that back in '08 and have had no problems at all. Machine has even started as cold as -38. I had to plow snow then as it was an emergency!. As you know we do get a lot of wind here in Delta so I have a need for breaking drifts. I hope this helps. Oh fyi my wheeler is an arctic cat 400.
    Last edited by Jeremiah55; 01-10-2014 at 10:22. Reason: spelling

I did exactly what the original post suggests on an 800 Sportsman. A full sized car battery in a marine battery box attaches to the rear rack with a bungee. The wheeler battery has a quick connect battery cable attached permanently that easily stuffs under the seat. The battery in the marine box has the same. Connect the quick connectors, plow, remove. Polar Wire in Anchorage made my cables using Arctic Flex wire and quick disconnects they keep on the shelf. Works great. Especially handy after months of storage when the wheeler battery is weak.
    http://www.summitracing.com/search/P...Connect-Plugs/
    Since then I've had the stator plate replaced, changed the winch, and switched to an Odyssey battery. I'll do some quick plowing without the added battery but for lots of plowing I still add it on and at the end of the day the battery needs charging.

Interesting did you replace the stator because it went bad or to increase charging current?
    If so how much of an increase did you get? When you added the bigger battery did you disconnect the ATV battery or leave it connected in parallel.

My stator was failing. I killed a couple of cheap batteries along the way before fixing it. My added battery's cables are attached to the stock battery terminals so the batteries work together when I choose. The cable quick release plug is capped and stays attached and tucked under the seat when not plowing.