Thread: Alaska Artic Hare

Default Alaska Artic Hare

I've tried this before with no luck so I'm back at it again. Does anyone know of a place that I can hunt artic hare? I know that trappers sometimes take them in snares accidently. This is not the typical snow shoe hare but the much larger version. Idealy, I would like to to hunt them myself but if that's not realistic than I would like to purchase one frozen whole from a trapper or hunter for taxidermy. I'm willing to pay, of course for the oppotunity to hunt them too. Any help would be much appreciated. Greg

i've seen a few since ive lived here but not many. ive never seen them enough to plan a trip to specifically hunt for them though. i have a good pic of my wife skinning one ill post it if i can find it. strangerinastrangland might be able to help you target them specifically. just not something you see all that often plus nobody i know is spending any time looking for them just run across them by accident. you might try the buckland area. they are pretty darn big when you see them you know its not the typical snowshoe.

Where do you live? Are you on the main road system, or do you live in the bush? I doubt you are going to find them anywhere along the road system. Possibly up by Prudhoe Bay, although I have never heard of anyone seeing them up there. From what I have read about them, they are only along the Arctic Coast of Alaska. That means you will have to fly into one of the bush villages to find them. Supposedly they are about 12 pounds. That is 3-4 times larger than the snowshoe hare with is about 3-4 pounds on average. There is a river north of Delta Junction that I used to hunt for moose with a friend of mine. I know they are not Arctic Hares, but I used to see these very large snowshoe hares on that river for some reason. Call me crazy, but they looked like they were about twice the size of the ones we have here in the Matanuska Valley. I have read about different species of animals having larger body sizes in colder climates (Bergmann's Rule). I often wondered if that is why those hares I saw up north seemed larger than average.

i'd have to add they arent too bad to eat. we cooked one up and it was better than i thought.

Many years ago, when I lived in the King Salmon area, I would get Arctic hares. One thing that I noticed was how big they were and yes they were good eating. There was enough there for a couple days meals. Since leaving King Salmon, I have not seen got gotten any.

I've seen a couple near Togiak back in my herring fishing days. Big boogers.
    An opinion should be the result of thought, not a substitute for it.
    - Jef Mallett

We watched one everyday on the Nush this July at King camp. He was huge

Quote Originally Posted by goosehunter51 View Post
    Does anyone know of a place that I can hunt artic hare? Any help would be much appreciated. Greg
    Here is a link to a map of their range.

http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/index.cfm...ahare.rangemap

Quote Originally Posted by MTguy View Post
    We watched one everyday on the Nush this July at King camp. He was huge
    Yeah I saw a toad of a hare on the banks of Nishlik Lake two years ago! Saw a flash of white that caught my eye. Didn't realize it was probably different species than the snowshoe until I later.

I didn't realize that's what we had down here on the AKPEN.
    Now what ?

We see lots around the Paxon Lake area but they are on the down side of their cycle. I have not seen many in about 3 years?

Join trapperman.com and post on their wilderness forum. There is a fur buyer in Mountain Village and he is on there. There are some around Nome usually.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Arctic jacks are around most of Alaska.

I hunt them on sorta steep hillsides , rocks and willows. On the Tundra, I set 220's Connabears along a lakes edge by the willows , and usually get Fox, but the Jacks must love the same trails, and about the same size as a small Fox. They travel ALOT in groups, and I catch most while Caribou Hunting , because they follow the Caribou and eat easy from the Caribou's cleared tundra. In years where theres only a little snow, they still group up with out the caribou haveing to clear the food for them, and dodge to rocks and willows for cover. Mt sides and tops, ridges where the snow is blown clear, or if its a year with deep snow, along the edge of Willow thickets. They do not live in the thickets like the smaller snowshoe's, the Arctics are about 3X's larger, and are usually found on the outter edge of the Willow thickets, where they graze and move on, the snowshoes have warrens and stay local like.
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

Quote Originally Posted by strangerinastrangeland View Post
    Arctic jacks are around most of Alaska.

I hunt them on sorta steep hillsides , rocks and willows. On the Tundra, I set 220's Connabears along a lakes edge by the willows , and usually get Fox, but the Jacks must love the same trails, and about the same size as a small Fox. They travel ALOT in groups, and I catch most while Caribou Hunting , because they follow the Caribou and eat easy from the Caribou's cleared tundra. In years where theres only a little snow, they still group up with out the caribou haveing to clear the food for them, and dodge to rocks and willows for cover. Mt sides and tops, ridges where the snow is blown clear, or if its a year with deep snow, along the edge of Willow thickets. They do not live in the thickets like the smaller snowshoe's, the Arctics are about 3X's larger, and are usually found on the outter edge of the Willow thickets, where they graze and move on, the snowshoes have warrens and stay local like.
    Hi! Thanks for your very detailed response. Is there any chance to buy one from you? I'm happy to pay you for your trouble. Thanks! Greg

Where are you?

If your wanting to hunt them, the Selawik wildlife refuge is at my back door, about 1/2 an hours ride to legal and good Jack hunting.....theres some back that way to my east, but , if you want to trade for my next one, Ill keep you in mind and should I get one eventually, we can trade or something, but getting a frozen Bunnie to you depends......you just need a Skin and skull? Any weird or twisted legality realitys? gotta be good, ya know
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

Hi! Ideally I'd like to hunt them but it's starting to sound like the odds are stacked up against me. I'm not sure what you're interested in trading but that sounds good to me. We can work something out. I live in Michigan and my friend in Wasilla has sent frozen things to me in the past and it worked out fine at this time of year. It was 15 below here this week. Thanks a lot for your help on this. Greg