Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: S&W Model 69 in 44 mag

Default S&W Model 69 (not 629) in 44 mag

Have not seen anything posted about this gun. As much as I love my redhawk, if I find one of these at the gun store, it is coming home and the redhawk will become a safe queen.

http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/w...layErrorView_Y

L-Frame
    5-shot 44 magnum
    37 oz.

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Quote Originally Posted by saint_nick3 View Post
    Have not seen anything posted about this gun. As much as I love my redhawk, if I find one of these at the gun store, it is coming home and the redhawk will become a safe queen.

http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/w...layErrorView_Y

L-Frame
    5-shot 44 magnum
    37 oz.
    It sure looks pretty.

What is the appeal for you over the 629?

OR, the Redhawk?

Smaller Frame?

Less weight?

Assuming the frame is smaller and it weighs less.

SOTN
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Interesting. A 44mag built on an L frame with a 5 shot cylinder. Lighter, smaller than the N frame guns. Much smaller than the Rugers. Easier to pack around. However, the trade off will be increased perceived recoil.
    "A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise, and independence to the mind."

I think it might be a good compromise between a 629 and a 329. It weighs in heavier than the 329 and this extra weight would cause it to lose some of the recoil snap the 329 has.

Quote Originally Posted by gunbugs View Post
    ...the trade off will be increased perceived recoil.
    I'd sure Magnaport it. My 4" 629 might be slightly heavier, but it's a tradeoff for 6 shots rather than 5. Plenty light for all day carry, so I'm pretty sure the Mod 69 is safe from my checkbook.

BTW- Shooting them side by side with the same loads, my Magnaported 629 has no more perceived recoil than my 7.5" Redhawk. I'm betting the Magnaport job will make the 69 downright pleasant to shoot, considering the weight. I don't expect the Smith action to take loads as heavy as a Ruger, so there's that too in controlling recoil. It'll be a great and popular carry gun for guys who don't have or don't like a 4" 629 or the 329. Speculation on the 329, because it was safe from my checkbook, too. It would take a lot to move me away from my 629, and clearly I haven't seen it yet, 69 or 329.

Maybe they'll shrink those holes to .41 I would buy one for the Wife and get my 657 back.

Quote Originally Posted by LeonardC View Post
    Maybe they'll shrink those holes to .41....
    Now you're on fertile ground!

Maybe they'll shrink those holes to .41
    Was thinking that very same thing myself.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Interesting but my question would be will this take the same loads that a Red Hawk will take? I know that they 629 that the wife has will not handle the same loads that my Red Hawk or my Super Black Hawk will handle, mainly my 300/310 hot loads that I use for hunting.

Quote Originally Posted by AK Bearcat View Post
    Interesting but my question would be will this take the same loads that a Red Hawk will take?
    If so, it will be the first Smith I've ever seen that will do so. Changing to a smaller frame and 5 shot cylinder won't make any difference, so unless there were some other changes in the action I sincerely doubt you'll see improved performance. I love both my 629's and my Redhawk, but I label my reloads accordingly and keep them well separate.

I agree about keeping the different loads labeled for different guns. Bring that we have Super Black Hawks, Red Hawks, S&W 629 and a Marlin 1894 in 44mag, it is very important to keep the ammo labeled for each weapon.

I kinda hate to bump an older thread, but there are some good perspectives in here already. I just heard about this gun this week. FWIW I am sticking with .45 Colt personally, but I am thinking about my future grandkids. I got young adult nieces and nephews and kids scattered all up and down the west coast.

I am hoping one or two of the next generation will be outdoorspersons, but I do want all of them able to defend themselves.

I have been thinking for over a year now, "What would be one gun that can do 'everything' from CC in hot weather to reasonable sidearm for once in a lifetime hunts in Alaska or Africa?"

The SW model 69 is the closest thing I can think of, ass/u/me/ing it is at least as good as other current production Smith and Wessons.

The Fbx Sportsmen's had one on the shelf today @$799. Not bad considering BIN on gunbroker is $700, plus shipping to AK plus transfer. A little muzzle heavy empty, probably balances pretty good when loaded.

At 5'10" and 190# I would have a hard time CCing one of these at 3 oclock in a high rise Mernickle in shorts and a baggy Tee shirt, but at 5 oclock in a Simply Rugged Pancake I probably could. Once it cools off enough to wear a flannel shirt either holster would work fine for me.

At the other end, having handled it for two minutes at the LGS, I don't think I would want to load more than 250 grains to more than 1200, maybe 1400 fps - and not actually fire very many of those.

But everything in between, this gun should be able to do. 230 grains at 750-800fps steel target load (45 ACP territory) for practice and muscle memory should be no problem. I raised my eyebrows when I got the Hodgdon tables for the Skeeter Skelton load. Given that I find Hodgdon's velocity predictions to be wildly optimistic, duplicating Skeeter's 250 grains at 1000fps in 44 Special for law enforcement use nowadays requires a 44magnum.

So grandkids, maybe 7-10 years old visiting grandpa, take em to the range, stick a _____ in their hand, tell them this will be their personal gun someday, start them off with 180 or 200gr bullets with a pinch of TrailBoss...

Except for it being such a new product - I am done being the first on my block to own a thing- I can't think of a better current production handgun that could be the one handgun for life solution from hot weather CC to Africa safari sidearm.

Since none of my descendants are even married yet I can sit on the sidelines for a couple years, but if you can think of a better option for the "one handgun for life" I would sure like to hear about it. Certainly if one or two of the little rascals get serious about hunting I can get a Redhawk to them before it is too late, but most of them will probably go to college and live in condos and never eat an animal they killed themselves.

swmn, I bought one a few months ago.

Carries nice , accurate and the recoil isn't what you would expect. 2 oz. lighter than a 629 mountain gun 44 mag.

The recoil has less barrel rise than a 629 MG. Not much different, but I prefer the #69 recoil. Must be the hand being closer the the barrel center line.

The difference in width isn't much, but it seems to make a huge difference in carry.

I also have a 329. I like the mod 69 better, enough so that I'll sell the 329.

I put a set of grips from a S&W 500 on it before I shot it. The 629 MG I have also has the same grips. So it's an apples to apples comparison.
    "The older I get, the better I was."

Thanks for the review, travelers. Nice to hear from someone that's got one. I'm not shopping right now, but may in the future.

69...4.25", 37.2 oz., $849

629..4", 41.5 oz., $949

329..4", 25.1 oz., $1159

I ran into one of those Model 69s recently. It is surprisingly compact and light for a .44 mag. I have not fired one, but expect the recoil to be substantial. For a revolver that gets carried a lot, and shot infrequently it is a step up from the other choices out there.

629..4", 41.5 oz., $949
    That's been my standard carry gun (Magnaported) for over 20 years, and it's just not a burden, even in a belt rig. You just don't know it's there.

I've carried and shot 329's a fair bit, and even Magnaported, they give up too much in handling for DA shooting for me to consider them. Yeah, they're lots lighter on the belt, but that's "fixing" a problem that isn't really a problem. Controlling them for fast and accurate DA most certainly IS a problem.

Bear,
    I have a 629 and it is not bad to carry at all, especially after packing around a Ruger SBH for 30 years. The Model 69 is the next step in the evolution of carrying large calibers revolvers. It is worth it to handle one just to see what the fuss is all about.

Quote Originally Posted by ppine View Post
    The Model 69 is the next step in the evolution of carrying large calibers revolvers. It is worth it to handle one just to see what the fuss is all about.
    Nah. Got what I want and I'd rather save the $829 for another hunt.

Quote Originally Posted by BrownBear View Post
    Nah. Got what I want and I'd rather save the $829 for another hunt.
    It is funny how we find a gun we like and stick with it! For years my favorite .44 mag to shoot was a 5" 629 as it just felt good. For the last couple of years my favorite has become a 3" 629 Talo I got from another forum member. It carries easily and shoots well too. Even wear it in a Dimond D when felling trees. I admit that I would like to handle one of the 69's though...

Yeah. At some point you just have to say NO to newer and better, and use the tools for the things you bought them for.

Lots of tool polishing, tool admiring and tool arguing on the web, and guys that don't do much else. But never enough hunting trips or the money for them.

I'm set on doing a lot less polishing, admiring and arguing, with my money going for hunts rather than more guns. Guys can entertain themselves as they see fit, but I find the hunting a lot more entertaining than the jawing.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast