Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wouldn't this make buying a Hunting License easier?

Lightbulb Wouldn't this make buying a Hunting License easier?

So I was filling out my online PFD application today and checking off all the appropriate boxes, and muttering to myself.

I've long wondered why the State of AK doesn't include a box to deduct the price for Hunting/Fishing licenses, DMV tags, etc. from my PFD and either mail, or allow me to print off the required forms. Likewise with hunt draws and other such nickle and dime fees.

It'd be far simpler to make it a once a year process, and likely the State would benefit from such a policy as well.

Just thought I'd toss it out there for some mid winter discussion.....
    “Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.” ― H.S.T.
    "Character is how you treat those who can do nothing for you."

Wadda ya trying to do Hippie, save trees or 'sumpin? It does sound like a good idea...

Quote Originally Posted by trailblazersteve View Post
    Wadda ya trying to do Hippie, save trees or 'sumpin? It does sound like a good idea...

*Checks the woodstove*

Nope, the only trees I'm saving are stacked and split. -grin-
    “Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.” ― H.S.T.

That would save on dealing with the vendor nazis who think they have a right to check my I.D. when getting my hunting license.

Maybe because you can buy them online at the ADF&G website...? :hmm:https://www.adfg.alaska.gov/store/

Quote Originally Posted by ak_cowboy View Post
    Maybe because you can buy them online at the ADF&G website...? :hmm:https://www.adfg.alaska.gov/store/
    Well aware of that.

But I know that I for one would cheerfully check off the boxes for Hunting/Fishing licenses, DMV tags etc and just have it taken out of the PFD at the first of the year as opposed to paying for all of those same things piecemeal over the course of 12 months.

I'll pass on letting the government handle my $. You know, 'cause they do so well at all the other stuff they manage, LMAO!!
    Its already pretty simple to do it on-line.

Seems it could get a bit confusing trying to take care of all my registrations. Heck, I have trouble keeping up with them all. Couldn't imagine some one else doing it for me, let alone deducting money from my account!
    BK

I think it would just end up being more complicated. You are dealing with all sorts of different resident/non-resident qualifications and different recurring schedules. Too many places for the system to get mixed up. The hunting license/permit system is very quick and simple to do at the same time right now online (no vendors to worry about, so that's not an issue).

Seems like a good idea to me...

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaHippie View Post
    But I know that I for one would cheerfully check off the boxes for Hunting/Fishing licenses, DMV tags etc and just have it taken out of the PFD at the first of the year as opposed to paying for all of those same things piecemeal over the course of 12 months.
    And if someone is later found to not be eligible for a PFD? They've already got their license in hand, so the state is going to be out that money. It's a minor inconvenience to buy the license separately, but due to the reasonably serious prevalence of PFD fraud, I wouldn't support this idea - unless it was to purchase the following year's license. (You check the box this year to have the cost of the 2015 license deducted from the 2014 PFD.)

Look at all the money handling crats in each department that would be out of work
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Quote Originally Posted by Amigo Will View Post
    Look at all the money handling crats in each department that would be out of work
    That's what I was thinking Will. I started counting the different SOA depts I pay separately and individually in this tax free state and it took both hands before I gave up and said sheesh.

Property tax aside I certainly pay less fees than the money they send me every year. I would check a box to have the following years recreational area parking pass deducted.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    And if someone is later found to not be eligible for a PFD? They've already got their license in hand, so the state is going to be out that money. It's a minor inconvenience to buy the license separately, but due to the reasonably serious prevalence of PFD fraud, I wouldn't support this idea - unless it was to purchase the following year's license. (You check the box this year to have the cost of the 2015 license deducted from the 2014 PFD.)
    Then the State makes up the difference by prosecuting you for buying a resident license you don't qualify for. lol
    An opinion should be the result of thought, not a substitute for it.
    - Jef Mallett

power commuting twixt the valley and anchorage

Quote Originally Posted by bkmail View Post
    I'll pass on letting the government handle my $. You know, 'cause they do so well at all the other stuff they manage, LMAO!!
    Not trying to go off on a political tangent, but this statement seems ironic. The pfd is government money, we receive it because the government has handled it.

Mike, your idea seems similar to having my estimated property tax included with my mortgage. It simplifies life for me.
    My only gear sponsor is the salvation army - Dick Griffith

Quote Originally Posted by bkmail View Post
    That's kinda funny in a way, because your money IS government stuff.
    Death is like an old whore in a bar--I'll buy her a drink but I won't go upstairs with her.

The original intent of the myalaska portal was to create a single sign-on portal for citizens to do business with the state. Various departments have been slow or just not interested in partcipating -- ADFG, Commerce, DMV, etc.
    Death is like an old whore in a bar--I'll buy her a drink but I won't go upstairs with her.

WHAT!!!!! You mean people have to pay for hunt and fish lic. I've been getting mine free for the last almost 9 years. Bud
    Wasilla

Better yet, if you ask me, they could step up and get with the program like a whole bunch of other states and offer a Lifetime License. It would be expensive of course but it sure makes life easy with one less thing to forget when you head out to the field. Heck with my lifetime from my home state they don't even have to print tags for me to use, upon harvesting and animal on a general season hunt the license holder just writes his or her name, and license number on a piece of paper and uses that for a carcass tag. I bet the state would sell scads of combo hunt/fish/trap licenses for 1000$ a piece I know I would grab one.

Lots of chances for abuse from those that move out of state but still "Claim" residency
    2000 Bayliner Ciera Express 2452
    5.0 Mercruiser Alpha 1

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast