Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Rem 700 Mountian SS in .280 --- Any Thoughts???

Default Rem 700 Mountian SS in .280 --- Any Thoughts???

All,

So I am in the market to purchase a new bolt action rifle comparable to the above mentioned, and have heard some great reviews about it. But as with everything, there are some serious haters of the Remington Model 700 and specifically the Mountian SS model. Many say huge waste of money and there are much better options.....

Any thoughts on this?

What else would you recommend?

Tika T3 Stainless

Quote Originally Posted by Btgildea View Post
    All,

So I am in the market to purchase a new bolt action rifle comparable to the above mentioned, and have heard some great reviews about it. But as with everything, there are some serious haters of the Remington Model 700 and specifically the Mountian SS model. Many say huge waste of money and there are much better options.....

Any thoughts on this?

What else would you recommend?
    Remington has done a lot of stuff right over the years, but few better than a SS Mountain Rifle in 280. You don't say what you're intended uses are for said rifle, but it would be a tough combo to trump in a lot of scenarios.......
    Foolishness is a moral category, not an intellectual one.

Remington hater here, I like the .280 though, purchased a Winchester Featherweight in that caliber for my wife. I would opt for a Ruger or Winchester, or most any other manufacturer if a rebarrel or build was not in the cards.

Far for a waste of time, I,ve hunted with one since the first year Remington come out with it, thinking early 90's?..I had mine re-cambered to 280 AI maybe 10 years ago. Mine has taken sheep, moose, elk, whitetail, blacktail, mule deer, caribou, muskox, wolf , and some huge black bear......most using the 140 Barnes X bullet!

If I was buying a new rifle I would go with the Kimber 84L in 280AI, my two sons have them and they are an awesome rifle!
    "Mountains are not fair or unfair, they are just dangerous" ~ Reinhold Messner

My Remington's have shot as good if not better than any other brand rifle I have owned over the years. "Real guns" has done a review of the new ss mountain gun. They have a winner with this one IMO.

Another vote for the Tikka SS T3

+1 on the Kimber, the last few NEW Remingtons I have had were,,,, well lets just say I don't care for them. Their QC has NOT been very good latley, IMHO.
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Love the caliber...not the rifle. Kimber, Tikka, Ruger, Winchester, whatever - over the 700.

I'm a Remington fan, The mountain SS (IMO) is a one of their better rifles. Yes they do have some cheaper models but you cannot beat the 700 action in stainless. More custom rifles are built on the 700 action than any other especially in the Alaskan Ti, and the 700 stainless, they can be trimmed, or lightened and trued. Some on here have not liked them, as with anything else, boots, packs tents etc etc....people are going to like what suits them, and roll with it. .280 is a great caliber, especially for the mountain critters. A great variety of bullets and slightly flatter shooting than the 30-06, and when or if you get tired of it and want more out of it, get it re barreled with a nice Lilja or Douglas and re-chamber for a 280 AI.

There's alot of other brands of rifles that will chamber the .280, your best bet is to check on Gunbroker. There was a nice Remington custom .280 at Boondock a while ago I was eyeing, not sure if it still in there. It had had a Tan sand color stock and everything else was black teflon coated, but was slightly heavier than I would want, sweet lookin' rifle but it also had a price tag too.

I picked up a Remington 700 Mountain SS chambered in 30-06 a couple months ago and have been very impressed so far. This purchase was in response to lugging a 10lber up and down mountains on about a dozen trips this summer/fall. Never cared till I was successful and had a goat in the pack too, feel the burn!

I do not reload yet and have only run inexpensive factory ammo through it. The barrel is very thin and heats up quickly, which affects poi. But so far I'm getting 1 moa on cold barrels hitting at point A... And then 1.5 moa for all follow up shots hitting at point B about 1 inch high and slightly right. So a little finicky but I will be hunting with Barnes ttsx 150 factories which have taken more than a .25 moa off all of the guns I've tried compared to plain jane factories. Hopefully the same will come true for this gun. Regardless this gun will do fine out to 400-450 yards, which is all I'm looking for.

If you scour the internet there are good deals to be had. You don't have to pay the $1050 they're normally listed for.

I say go for it, I've found it to be well worth the money.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have an original 7mm REM EXP rifle in the classic 700 action.
    Despite being in poor condition after 30-35 years of harsh use in the Bush, Its my heavy hitter under 300.
    I love it, would rather have it than my old ruger '06. Still has iron sights and planning to use a weaver rail with see-throughs, makes a perfect Caribou, Moose, Walrus, and even planning on using it for a Polar Bear hunt next spring.

Nanuaq2013

I also have a 280 in the remington mountain rifle but mine is blued and it has been a great rifle. very accurate and light weight. I think it is a great choice in a rifle. I have taken deer, caribou, mountain goats and elk with the 280.
    Kodiak Island Adventures
    907-539-6474
    Shearwater 38' Allen Marine Catamaran
    Lana J 40' USCG inspected

I would have a hard time picking the Rem over a Kimber Montana. I have an 84L in 280AI and if I lost it in a river I would order a new one immediately. I am still working on finding the perfect hand load for it but it shoots factory Nosler 160 partition @ 1 MOA.

Well a lot of folks consider the c prefix 700 some of the best 700 made . So if you can find one at decent price snag it up

Indiana, only because that's where the check came from...

I had Lex Webernick of Rifles Inc. http://riflesinc.com build a 280 Remington for my wife 3 years ago. I had the rifle built on a Winchester Model 70 CRF action, Jewel trigger, Lilja barrel, and a McMillan stock. The rifle was built on his Classic line and comes in about 6 1/2#, no break. I built a couple of loads for that rifle, but my absolute favorite has been 150 gr. Swift Scirocco's. To date, she has taken 4 nice TX whitetails and a number of pigs with that rifle/load. It is one fine rifle and extremely accurate.

After tons of research I finally went with tikka SS in 7mm08. Freddy's has a sale goin on for $629. Just my 2 cents..

I forgot to add..if you haven't done so, it might be worth comparing the 280 to the 7mm08 (especially if you don't reload). Good luck with whatever you choose!

I bought a rem ss .280 for my wife, I restocked it, cerakoted, timney trigger, aluminum trigger converted to ADL, talley rings and a leupold vx3 2.5-8x36. It now weighs 6lb 11oz with scope, shaved off 12 oz by not using the bell and Carlson stock with bedding block. I shoot Handloads using 140 tsx Barnes, I would buy another one, I owned a kimber 84l 280 AI, put 90rounds of hand loads down the barrel, tried Barnes, accubonds 3 different powders and 30 to 50 thousands off LANs, best group was 11/4, that was my 4th kimber ever owned, and have one left in a 7 mm-08. I also have a forbes in a 30-06, which is lighter and that is my go to rifle shoots under 1/2 and for the money I'd buy the forbes before anything. Scheels in the lower 48 has a bunch, just have to have it sent to ffl.

Quote Originally Posted by Aksheephunter29 View Post
    I bought a rem ss .280 for my wife, I restocked it, cerakoted, timney trigger, aluminum trigger converted to ADL, talley rings and a leupold vx3 2.5-8x36. It now weighs 6lb 11oz with scope, shaved off 12 oz by not using the bell and Carlson stock with bedding block. I shoot Handloads using 140 tsx Barnes, I would buy another one, I owned a kimber 84l 280 AI, put 90rounds of hand loads down the barrel, tried Barnes, accubonds 3 different powders and 30 to 50 thousands off LANs, best group was 11/4, that was my 4th kimber ever owned, and have one left in a 7 mm-08. I also have a forbes in a 30-06, which is lighter and that is my go to rifle shoots under 1/2 and for the money I'd buy the forbes before anything. Scheels in the lower 48 has a bunch, just have to have it sent to ffl.

Thats Because you get to buy a new rifle every week.....

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast