Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Suppressors on Kodiak

Default Suppressors on Kodiak

If shooting a rifle is like ringing the dinner bell it would stand to reason that reducing the volume of the dinner bell would invite fewer guests. Kidding mostly. But thought it would be an interesting topic of discussion. I haven't checked the regs but I'd be willing to wager it's a violation of some sort.

nope, no voilation here-

I took five deer this November with mine.

The main reason I used a suspressor is the recoil reduction- I'm in the middle of eye surgery.

Plus, due to my physical limits... i had a young gentleman as a guide/packer.
    He appreciated the "no ringing of the ears"...

Chris

How bout that?! I got to thinking about it after watching Wild West guns last night. A gal on the show had a "custom" gun built for a deer hunt on Kodiak and they kept going on about how the bears would start circling once a shot was fired. I remember similar worries while elk hunting in Montana not too far from Yellowstone. I think ol' Wild West should have probably put threads on the end of that custom gun barrel. Although, hmmmm, TV is all about creating drama.

lots of pluses if you use the right one..

I had (wanted????) to make a running shot, and the extra 34 ozs out at the end of the barrel let me have a nice swing, follow thru, and the ability to watch the buck tumble forward head over heels twice!!!!

Chris

and even though there where bears in the area....

none has yet come in to a shot where I hunt down in the south end... with or with out boom quieters

I have even seen one creep away, and kept turning head back to try and watch me.. that is way high on the cool factor- till it got in brush just above me, and then every noise close by turned up the pucker factor...

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by bigskyguy View Post
    If shooting a rifle is like ringing the dinner bell it would stand to reason that reducing the volume of the dinner bell would invite fewer guests. Kidding mostly. But thought it would be an interesting topic of discussion. I haven't checked the regs but I'd be willing to wager it's a violation of some sort.
    I kinda wondered what our stance was on that in AK...never had a client show up with one, and i'm not at all sure what I think of it. last year I guided a well known taxdermists from new Zealand and we've become fast friends...he mentioned a few times that suppressors are very popular with the kiwi hunters...what I got from the converstation is that their use became popular with culling operators (they don't have predators and the government hires cullers to compensate...more so with whirly birds these days, but mostly on foot in the past...and to hear him tell, theyre are a few cullers in certain areas, and for certain species that work in boots still) they liked em for the obvious noise reduction and availability of follow up shots on unalarmed herd animals.

also...since were on a related topic...how many guys here believe that bears come to gun shots on Kodiak? or anywhere else? I don't have an opinion as I haven't hunted the island...but I know a couple guys that have hunted that island every year for quite some time, that have not observed this, and just label it common bull****....and if indeed its true...do they also come running when another bear gets shot? ptarmigan? ducks? (or maybe they can tell if its a shotgun...bears ARE smart ).......just wondering. half heartedly.

Quote Originally Posted by akgun&ammo View Post

I have even seen one creep away, and kept turning head back to try and watch me.. that is way high on the cool factor- till it got in brush just above me, and then every noise close by turned up the pucker factor...

Chris
    now that sounds like normal brown bear behavior....

It is actually considered impolite to NOT use a suppressor in many countries in Europe.

I'm curious why some might consider it inappropriate?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've never had a bear come in on a gun shot, I've had one coen in on me on a bow kill deer....Pretty sure he didn't hear that. Personal opinion, animal dies, bear crosses downwind, smells dinner and walks in. If bears always came to the gun shot you'd be hearing bear hunters just sitting on a hill, firing a round and waiting for every bear to come running.

Quote Originally Posted by Abel View Post
    I've never had a bear come in. My personal opinion, bear is downwind and smells dead stuff, I've had one coen in on me on a bow kill deer....Pretty sure he didn't hear that. If bears always came to the gun shot you'd be hearing bear hunters just sitting on a hill, firing a round and waiting for every bear to come running.
    I was not a believer till it occured to us on Montague a few years ago. He came in fast and very vocal within a couple minutes of shooting two deer. We had not even opened them up yet so I doubt it was the smell that brought him in. We were in an old growth forest on the southern end on Montague. Just my observation.
    BK

Suppressors are 100% legal everywhere in the state. . It's hard to find a gun above 300wm that is factory threaded for one. The extra length and weight may deter a few guys as well

Quote Originally Posted by limon32 View Post
    It is actually considered impolite to NOT use a suppressor in many countries in Europe.

I'm curious why some might consider it inappropriate?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I will leave it at this; consider the political stance of the anti-gun crowd and the "implications" one might "imagine" a suppressor would be used for.

A sarcastic hint: the AR15 can not possibly be of use to a hunter, it is only good for killing p***le. Now include "suppressor" in that erroneous statement.

proper loading of ammo, barrel trimmed to a more managable length, the appropreate suspressor choosen, and they become much easier to use than the old stand by of a threaded 24 inch barrel and a 14" can...

If you have a reason to use one, if you like to use one, if it is legal to use one..

As I have stated before- there is a LARGE recoil reduction, as well as a reduction in barrel lift and an improvement in handling..
    not just the boom quieter part

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by Abel View Post
    Personal opinion, animal dies, bear crosses downwind, smells dinner and walks in.
    That's my experience too, and I've hunted supposed "dinner bell" hotspots like Uganik Island a lot. Even hunted ptarmigan and snowshoe hare in the "hot spots" with lots of shooting. Next someone will be telling us how to make rifles sound like shotguns so the bears won't be attracted.

It sure seems to be all about smell and little about noise, but everyone is different. More power to them.

I've never had it happen to me, but that it does happen is obvious.
    I think it would have to be "learned by experience" for the bear doing the deer hijacking. A sow may show cubs how it works, but if it isn't a constant factor during their last year with Mom, I'm not sure how long they would remember it. I really do not believe it happens all that often (on Kodiak). It's a big island with lots of bears & deer & hunters (in season). I believe that of all the deer a bear eats, very few of them are triggered by a rifle shot. Obviously, if it happened to you, it would be an often retold story.
    How would a sound suppressor work for someone in trouble, firing "3 shots" for a rescue team to locate him? Say, he had a broken arm & was unable to remove the supressor.

I think it's logical that some bears can learn and be conditioned to respond to a shot. However, on the un-reality shows there's a "Kodiak grizzly bear" outside circling everyones house...it's all part of the script.

I'm with AKG&A - if you want or need one, it's legal - go for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary View Post
    How would a sound suppressor work for someone in trouble, firing "3 shots" for a rescue team to locate him? Say, he had a broken arm & was unable to remove the supressor.
    Now there's a marketing opportunity for someone:

A one-handed suppressor wrench for survival kits.

Read about it in all the shooting mags.

Coming to a store near you.

Choice of colors- Rescue Orange or Survivalist Camo.

On the dinner bell theory I have to make this statement , although you must remain aware of your surroundings while in bear country I don't believe the dinner bell thing is as prevalent as people think. If that was the case every bear hunter could go out fire a round into the air and wait for the bear to come running. Just not that common, hunted Kodiak alone this last fall and fired several times. just me and freezer fillers after shots went out, but I still made sure to clean em up quickly and go.

My head is on a swivel and looking up more than down while processing deer on Kodiak. The rifle is within arms reach at all times.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary View Post
    same as a bow hunter shooting his three arrows up

but realistically- the suspressors are not 100% noiseless--
    just "quieter"

Bigger factor would be the lack of signature from the shooting position if necessary to be found

Chris

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast