Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Goat hunt

Default Goat hunt

I would like to go on a goat hunt before I leave Alaska, I know how everybody hates to give up there hunting spots. So i wont ask, but is anybody willing to point me in the right direction. I don't have the money to pay a guide. Although I can come up with the money for a pilot.

also if anybody has a good gear list that I can build off from I would greatly appreciate it.

Its a little too late for this advice, but put in for goat hunts by drawing. There are some great areas that are easily accessed on foot. I can't help with any general harvest areas though..good luck

Rent a boat out if Valdez, pull into a cove in a legal hunt area and start spotting. Beach and climb. Unless you know a pilot, it should cost less than a fly in. I know it's very vague, but you will have fill in the details with planning and you have over half a year to do so.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    If you think you're free, there's no escape possible.

In addition to Hoyt-Hunter's advice, look to the areas of Kodiak Island open to hunting by registration permit.

Like Brian said, RG480 on Kodiak Island. There's more goats down there than you can shake a stick at.

Pm me and I'll give you some specifics that are a lot cheaper than Kodiak.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

good advice, there are many registration goat hunts in PWS. I personally have a love hate relationship with that place, but **** its rewarding with effort. Bears, Goat, Deer you can do it all! get a water taxi or buy a boat if you have the experience ans time left.

RG480 on Kodiak. You can hunt there until March 20th.

There's a reason it's open so late and they have a two goat limit....
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Two words: South Kodiak

Anyone going to give this hunt a try between now and when the season closes on March 20th?

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    Anyone going to give this hunt a try between now and when the season closes on March 20th?
    Possibly. My brother and I are toying with the idea of the 2nd week of March, but have to figure out some logistics before committing. I know of another pair of forum members who are going the first week of March.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    gonna give it a whirl....worst comes to worst I throw a pile of $$$ trying get to be cold/wet and deal with Gulf of Alaska in the winter.....sounds like its gonna be a great time.

So been thinking of trying to move the hunt up to this year, I called down to adfg in cordova they said that the road was washed out at mile 27. So I think I will go with Plan B, And go to Kodiak. MY thoughts are maybe to charter a pilot and have them drop us off at alpine lake area, instead of walking in from the road. any buddy who has ever walked in from the road or have done this Please share your experiences. can anyone recommend a good charter. I called one and they said 2000 for a round trip with 1200LBS figured that wasn't a bad deal but haven't called any others yet. I would prefer the walk in to save some cash but I think gtting flow in would give us better odds.

The big three on Kodiak are Andrews, Island, and Seahawk. There is also a new operation (can't remember the name) that just got fired up and he operates some smaller planes, like a super cub and smaller cessna. He also operates on floats, skis, and wheels (tundra tires), might be worth a look see.

Quote Originally Posted by AK Troutbum View Post
    The big three on Kodiak are Andrews, Island, and Seahawk. There is also a new operation (can't remember the name) that just got fired up and he operates some smaller planes, like a super cub and smaller cessna. He also operates on floats, skis, and wheels (tundra tires), might be worth a look see.

The new one that I know is: North River Air, Taj Shoemaker. He lives in Kodiak flying as owner/operator. He is very knowledgable of the island. His folks runs Grizzly Skins of Alaska guide business on the peninsula. I wouldn't hesitate to fly with him. With his selection/configurations he has the ability to get you where all the other operations can go & can't go.

Flown with all the 3 majors many times. All were great and never any issues. Island air in convenient located at the airport. Seahawk/Rolan has gone above and beyond with little things several times and has the 1500 pound capacity on his beaver. Andrew I keep going back to with their great customer service on the ground, more planes to get caught up faster in weather backups and pilots that give you a good experience/help scouting/familiarizing from the air.

Also King fisher they operate bush hawks on floats.

Yep, we flew with Kingfisher when we went deer hunting a couple of years ago. When I make it back to the island, Kingfisher will be the first call I make. We were very pleased with their service, their aircraft, and their price.

Default king fisher

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    Yep, we flew with Kingfisher when we went deer hunting a couple of years ago. When I make it back to the island, Kingfisher will be the first call I make. We were very pleased with their service, their aircraft, and their price.

king fisher was the outfit that I called, they told me like 2000 round trip with 1200 lb weight.

wheres the best place to rent a sat phone from.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    In addition to Hoyt-Hunter's advice, look to the areas of Kodiak Island open to hunting by registration permit.
    This thread is a bit old but, Kodiak has them running around like dogs. I think it was 4 years ago I posted a video of my hunt off Frazer lake. From the air I caught a herd of over 50 which can be seen in the video........................
    This year I get my revenge. As the video shows me taking a goat which took a death leap and tumbled 2000' or so down the mountain. By the time I got to it a big brown had claimed it. This year (11 Days from now) I am heading back to Kodiak and Frazer (DB242) with a bear tag in hand to get my revenge on that brownie. This area is now a registration hunt. When I hunted it was the last year for the draw. It's gonna cost ya though. 2k for about 800#s of gear to be flown in and out of Frazer from Kodiak.
    I use Seahawk. The folks down there are great to work with and Rolan knows his stuff. I get to fly down from Anchorage mid week to hit Kodiak F&G just to pick up my permit which you must do during business hours. The ferry I am taking gets in on Saturday and I am not going to wait until Monday to get my permit and will do a quick round trip (Thanks Alaska Airlines Mileage Plan). The folks at Seahawk offered to pick me up from the airport, drive me to F&G, then back to the airport. Jo at Seahawk was great on giving me info on all kinds of stuff that saved me hours of headaches.
    Fish IT! Hunt IT! or *#%@ IT!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast