Thread: Fairbanks area Anyone seen any moose on the road from fairbanks south

Default Fairbanks area Anyone seen any moose on the road from fairbanks south

Ok so I came up to fairbanks and tried to fill my dm783 tag in october and spent 4 days hitting it hard but never even seen a moose, and for as much hiking and brush beating as we did we seen very little sign. I'd like to try and come back up and see if I can fill my tag. The hunt is from just outside fairbanks down the Richardson highway to banner creek. And it is within a half mile of either side of the road. I'm hoping that maybe the snow has pushed some moose into the area. But before I make the 10 hour drive north again it would be great to hear that there are at least some moose sighted.
    Thanks

Life is too short to pass up a day of hunting

yes, seems to be a few more on the west side of road thouhg...

evening is better for seeing on the road...

plus there are a couple of woodcutting AO's in that area that road is "open" (please use that word very loosely- as you need 4 whl drive, and chains be good idea... as well as a cell phone with VERY good friend's phone number)

Good luck,

Chris

I was flying this week and saw about 30 on the flats behind fort wainwright to North Pole . The snow hasn't moved them much the numbers have been the same on the flats for the last 90 days or so hope this helps .

I've been seeing quite a few more moose around lately. I put in for that tag each year and would love to hunt it. Seems like it would be a slam dunk. Just gotta get here and get out there at first light.

I also have DM783, Tony, and after hunting it last fall I don't think I'm ever going to apply for it again. I spent a ton of time looking for moose and I didn't see a single one. That tag seems great at face value. Extremely long season, easy access, and any moose whatsoever is legal. The harvest rates tell a different story though. Success last year was only 27% for people that actually hunted, and only one bull was taken. Sorry I don't have any intel for you Tony; just wanted to show you're not alone in being disappointed with that tag.

I had the same tag last year. I spent 4 days in October without seeing a single moose, which I thought at the time was probably due to the rut just wrapping up and nothing had moved back close to the highway yet. I then spent 3 days in January with only 3 spotted. Unfortunately, the wind through that area (between Salcha and Delta) keeps the snow to a minimum, so the moose I was able to locate I couldn't get close enough to loose an arrow. There was so much dead brush on the ground that it was impossible to make a quiet stalk, and the closest I could get was around 80 yards. Almost made me wish I had taken up black powder....
    Good luck to you if you do go this month. Hopefully, the weather will agree with you and not be in the usual -40 range

seen two cows yesterday right on the road..

they seemed to have stayed there for quite a while, due to the fact still there three houirs later..

just south of moose creek bluff/creek.. befoer Eielson main gate

Chris

Thanks guys for the replies if I come back up I'll be coming up closer to the end of the season in February it sounds like there are at least some moose being seen around there.

Life is too short to pass up a day of hunting