Thread: King of the Mountain Wool

Default King of the Mountain Wool

Has anybody used it? What is your opinion on it? Is it worth the money?

I have one of their hats it works well. It is very expensive wool and I've found that my Weatherby set works just as well at about 1/2 the cost. I would look seriously at the Cabella's wool too. If you are going to buy King of the Mountain I would rather spend the money and buy the best - Filson. Jim

I'm not much into camo, so not personally interested in King of the Mountain. I do wear a lot of wool, though. Mine is all Filson, Bemidji, or various military surplus.
    We are right to take alarm at the first experiment upon our liberties.
    James Madison

I own a pair of KOM pants, two shirts, a vest, a bowman jacket, a boonie and a kromer style hat. I've owned them for about 15 years now and they look like I just bought them. (except I won most of them in archery tournaments) They are very high quality and very expense and a pain in the butt waiting months and months for delivery. Yes, you can wash them over and over as long as you follow the instructions. It is by far the best quality wool I've ever owned and will last me a lifetime. Part of the reason is I rarely wear it. It has to be dang cold for me to bring out the KOM. Most of the time I wear OD green military surplus wool pants I picked up new from Sportsman Guide for $7 a pair. I've had them 20 years and they just keep getting better. I usually wear a Filson washable wool shirt and the KOM vest. If you have the money, want the best and aren't in a hurry then KOM is hard to beat. If you're on a budget then KOM is not necessary. Wool in general, no matter what color, camo, plaid, or solid will help hide you in the field because it diffuses light instead of reflecting it. Sleeping Indian makes a comparable product for less money. My only recommendation in what ever brand of wool you choose is look for machine washable if you can.

Are they still in business? I have a full set that I have had for years.....very expensive. I don't wear it much anymore because it is so heavy. The new synthetic materials today pretty much blow it away in terms of weight. If I had to do it all over again I would go with a full set of Sitka gear. I also have some Filson wool clothing that I like but again...it's heavy compared to some of this new stuff.

I've had a pile of it all since 1992 , chit wears like iron hard to beat this product if your in the market for wool and have the scratch.

Indiana, only because that's where the check came from...

I have close to every piece made by KOM. Love the stuff and like previously stated it lasts forever if properly cared for. I have my favorite pieces that I grab for every trip, however, some of it is best suited for stand hunting vs moving around because of weight. The first time I hunted the haul road I took a number of pieces of KOM wool up there. It was simply awesome sitting around in camp because it's extremely warm and comfortable but out stalking caribou I found myself stripping down and caring much of it back in my arms.

Last year at SCI in Reno I paid a visit to the KOM rep exhibiting a new line of lightweight KOM pants, shirt/jacket and hoodie. I bought all three pieces and simply love them for active use. I used them in the bow season in the midwest and they were perfect. This new line is much lighter than the original designs.

Expensive, yes, worth it to me in terms of comfort and versatility.

KOM is top notch stuff and so is Sleeping Indian but they are now out of business. Ted Ranck and King Cavalier started KOM together. Ted had some business issues with King and left. He started Sleeping Indian up in Jackson Hole. Also great stuff - which I own. Ted died this past summer and the company is out of business. Whether someone else picks it up is unknown. There certainly is a ready made market for quality wool, whether you
    hunt in AK or MN. Like in other comparisons, KOM and SI were considered - alpha wool hunting clothes. But don't discount Columbia, Filson, Gander knock-offs and others. Whether you dislike camo wool and choose earth tones, that is fine. The bottom line is basically you get what you pay for.
    Take care of this and it will last a long long time.