Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Long Lake (Glenn)/Bonnie

Default Long Lake (Glenn)/Bonnie

Hi all,
    A few of us are planning to hit Long Lake on Saturday for the first time, coming from Eagle River... I've done a lot of searching in the forums here and just wanted to know if you all thought it was worth it right now. The consensus seems that it gets fished pretty hard. I can tell you we're all fishing for the sport, wont take any Lakers if we get them (unless its the new record, of course...), just want to catch some! Burbot and char would be a bonus too.

Also, I can't find much info on Bonnie Lake... Good fishing in there and what species? Does the road back there get plowed?

Thanks!

Devin

Quote Originally Posted by cptmorganusn View Post
    Hi all,
    A few of us are planning to hit Long Lake on Saturday for the first time, coming from Eagle River... I've done a lot of searching in the forums here and just wanted to know if you all thought it was worth it right now. The consensus seems that it gets fished pretty hard. I can tell you we're all fishing for the sport, wont take any Lakers if we get them (unless its the new record, of course...), just want to catch some! Burbot and char would be a bonus too.

Also, I can't find much info on Bonnie Lake... Good fishing in there and what species? Does the road back there get plowed?

Thanks!

Devin
    therevare grayling in bonnie
    Long lake always has fish. Burbot are deep deep usually. Fish at night you'll get um. Char are readily available.

Release Lake Trout

Sounds good, thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fished Bonnie in September and caught a lot of smallish rainbows. Didn't get any grayling. I don't think it's plowed in winter.
    I am no longer surprised at what I am no longer surprised at ---Bill Whittle

I read some people use whitefish as bait for burbot... What exactly is that? I haven't been able to find it in any bait cooler yet. Just some cut up herring maybe? (Sorry for my ignorance, fairly new to this type of fishing)

We've done well with herring and lamprey for burbot, which you should be able to find in the bait cooler. Also, frankly, I've done extremely well with Gulp Alive on burbot (and all sorts of other fish) although I understand if people don't like to use artificial baits.
    Mushing Tech: squeezing the romance out of dog mushing one post at a time

Quote Originally Posted by cptmorganusn View Post
    I read some people use whitefish as bait for burbot... What exactly is that? I haven't been able to find it in any bait cooler yet. Just some cut up herring maybe? (Sorry for my ignorance, fairly new to this type of fishing)

And you wont find whitefish in the cooler....it cannot be sold but you can catch it and I was told I could barter for it too. people like it for bait because its oily and skin is shiny. excellent laker bait! I catch a few from time to time in the kenai middle river area but the trick is small bait for those guys they got tiny mouths....like a 10mm bead would be on the big side.

Great info, thanks guys

Long lake? I was thinking of heading to Red shirt tomorrow. How is the pike activity at long lake? Who knows might just end up at lower fire.

No pike in long. You can get whitefish at sportsmans in anchorage. I saw it in their cooler today. Cut it into strips and attach the strip like you would a worm. Jig repeatedly. Get bit.

Get down, get deep, get snagged, fish on!
    "The North wind is cold no matter what direction it's blowing"

I was at fire yesterday, a lot of holes out there, but no action. Never really caught anything over a 12" pike there anyways, although I've seen others get some big ones

I took my 4 year old to fire on the first. We fished for about 45 minutes got a 15" and a 17 inch pike. I'm really considering heading north.

Where did you fish on fire?

We started near the public access area, then headed closer to the grassy part by the refuel dock. It was more of a test of new equipment than it was a legit fishing trip, and it got cut short by some light rain (rain, in Alaska, in Jan?!)

I live literally a stones throw away from that lake, so if you ever need someone to go with...

Sounds good, I headed to nancy lake as of now. Good luck at long lake

Quote Originally Posted by Andy82Hoyt View Post
    I took my 4 year old to fire on the first. We fished for about 45 minutes got a 15" and a 17 inch pike. I'm really considering heading north.

hes talking about fishing the Glenn hwy long lake, not long lake in willow. There should some pike in the willow area long lake. There are none in Glenn hwy long lake.

Release Lake Trout

Thanks for getting me back on track to slaying pike!

There use to be some large Rainbows in Bonnie lake but that was years ago. Been over 10 years since I fished it last, lots could have changed in 10 years.

And good luck trying to get back there in the winter. Even if they plowed the road, the down hill side would be darn near suicide in any thing but a snowmachine in the winter. I have seen Trucks pulling small trailers have serous problems getting back up in in the summer lol.

how did yall fair at long lake? Nancy lake, well at least I didn't spend 5 hours at home sitting around.

Well'p, not much luck today. Just one tiny burbot between the four of us. I didn't make it over to sportsmans before heading out so I don't think we had the right bait (just shrimp, squid, and jigs) for the day.
    Regardless, it was a good day out on the ice with friends!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast