Thread: Xtratuf boots

Default Xtratuf boots

The search for a good boot continues. Been researching, a lot, and getting a lot of positive input about Xtratuf boots. This is what I am looking for:

Mid height boot-12" would be perfect

Non maring sole

Not slippery on fiberglass boat deck

Enough traction that I could walk out of a muddy ditch, if I had to

Warm down to about 20 degrees

Xtratuf makes a 12" Legacy boot that seems to meet all of my requirements but it does not come in an insulated version. I am afraid the 15" Legacy would be a little too tall for me.

My question is....how good does the insulation in the Xtratuf's work?

I know, from my research, that lots of you guys are high on the Xtratuf's so I felt y'all would be the best outdoors men to ask for advice.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Charlie

They made a good boot in the past, now they are sourcing them overseas and they suck.
    Muck or Bogs are another option you might look into.
    BK

Quote Originally Posted by bkmail View Post
    They made a good boot in the past, now they are sourcing them overseas and they suck.
    BK
    Agreed. They used to be the best of the best. Now they're garbage.

I have 3 pair of the U.S. made ones and I am dreading the day the last pair dies....
    “Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.” ― H.S.T.
    "Character is how you treat those who can do nothing for you."

I think the bogs are the best ones going now. I gave up on xtratufs. I have a pair of muck boots. My kids have the bogs and they seem to be a better quality than the Muck brand. The kids feet stay warm in the snow in them... Mucks don't seem as warm....

There's actually a secondary market for old, US-made Xtra Tuffs here on the island and I snatched up another pair. New ones suck.

I'd go with Muck's. There's different models, with more or less insulation. I've got a few pairs of them for different uses throughout the year...including fishing in my glass boat.

Wore mine (tufs) today...all day on a roof in the snow @ 28* with a decent sock and felt insoles...no cold toes. As for on fiberglass, yes they work well. Can't comment on the newer ones as I haven't tried 'em.

Heavy Hitter Fishing
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Heavy...54441957966186

Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro-Staff

Every one says that the new Xtratuff boots suck, but mine have actually worked out great so far, no complaints yet. I know when they first started making them overseas the soles would delaminate. Apparently they have fixed this problem...

If your feet sweat in this style boot, look into "bama booties" or whatever they call them. Essentially they are lil blue "slipper" that you wear inside the boot. Wicks the moisture away from your foot and they dry quickly once you remove them.
    Just a thought.
    BK

If your feet sweat in this style boot, look into "bama booties" or whatever they call them. Essentially they are lil blue "slipper" that you wear inside the boot. Wicks the moisture away from your foot and they dry quickly once you remove them.
    Just a thought.
    BK

+1

(they're called Bama Socks)

“Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.” ― H.S.T.
    "Character is how you treat those who can do nothing for you."

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion on the current (Chinese-made) Xtra-Tuf boots, but I am satisfied with my latest pair. Like I stated in the other recent thread on this forum about boots for working on slick boat decks - the first XT boots from overseas were "junk" but the Company recognized that they had serious quality problems and they have been working the repetitive defects out of their boots.

I have been wearing US-made XT boots since they first appeared on the market years ago because they were very good for commercial fishing in tough weather on wet, bloody/slimey decks. After hearing all of the quality complaints I deliberately stayed away from the Chinese XTs, and I bought and tried a lot of different boot brands hoping to find a suitable replacement (including Bogs and Mucks). I finally wore my last US-made XT boots out and HAD to get a pair of the Chinese-made units. To their credit, all the local-area XT suppliers have had a policy of exchanging new for defective boots. I returned/exchanged 2 pairs of XTs (with no hassles or questions) over the past couple of seasons and so far I am satisfied with the last pair I have been wearing every day since mid-April of 2013. 'To each his own'.

BK
    If anyone gets sick of their boots I bought these Bogs as S.W. and I find them really nice - good traction, warm, steel toes, and seemingly well made. It an alternative if the ones the OP doesn't work out as planned.

bogs.jpg

First, I would like to thank everyone for your replies and advice. For the most part my research indicates the quality of the Chinese made Xtrafuf boots has improved significantly. That being said I am willing to take a chance on them since they have such a good reputation for their performance on slick surface. My question now concerns their uninsulated boots vs their insulated boots. As I originally stated Xtrtuf makes an insulated boot but it does not come in a 12" height. More like 15 or 16". Since I would not be using the boots for temps below 20 degrees, do you think I could get by with one of their uninsulated boots if I used a couple of pairs of socks.

Again, thanks to everyone who replied and I hope your new year is starting off well.

Charlie

Quote Originally Posted by CharlieM View Post
    First, I would like to thank everyone for your replies and advice. For the most part my research indicates the quality of the Chinese made Xtrafuf boots has improved significantly. That being said I am willing to take a chance on them since they have such a good reputation for their performance on slick surface. My question now concerns their uninsulated boots vs their insulated boots. As I originally stated Xtrtuf makes an insulated boot but it does not come in a 12" height. More like 15 or 16". Since I would not be using the boots for temps below 20 degrees, do you think I could get by with one of their uninsulated boots if I used a couple of pairs of socks.

Again, thanks to everyone who replied and I hope your new year is starting off well.

Charlie
    Take a look at the Dunlop boots, i have a pair, very light & quite warm and comfortable
    http://www.dunlopboots.com/en/produc...ir-pro/p184833

http://www.dunlopboots.com/en/produc...safety/c662933

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

Quote Originally Posted by CharlieM View Post

Charlie
    No problems with decent socks down to 20*. I have never been cold in mine in 6 years. Push it down to +5* and you will know you are wearing a boot that isn't insulated. lol

Heavy Hitter Fishing
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Heavy...54441957966186

Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro-Staff

Xtratuff has admitted their wrongdoings and will replace any old, china-made, clapped out boots, no questions asked. They're still made in china which is disappointing, but have righted the ship on the quality. There's a lot of loyal Xtratuff supporters (im one of em), but there is a lot of people who swear by mucks, bogs, etc... As for 12" vs 15", never had a complaint about an extra 3"

http://www.alaskapublic.org/2013/12/...ts-are-better/

xtratuf boots used to run a size large, which made it just right to wear extra thick socks or two pairs. Try the Smartwool Mountaineering socks, thickest I have ever found in a quality sock and make my xtratuf's fit just right for normal size. Those Bama Socks are great but add nearly two sizes to the boot you will need, they are so thick.

Unless you have a physical deformity, don't see why the extra 3" would be a deterrent to the insulated xtratufs. The insulated boots ARE heavier by a noticeable amount, but they provide a little more support, IMO, and they also protect the foot better than uninsulated, if you were to drop something that didn't require a steel toe for protection or kick a rock. Steel toes, IMO, can be a necessary evil, now THOSE will set you up for cold toes!!