Thread: Sierra game king hpbt?

Default Sierra game king hpbt?

Picked up a box of 165 gr. has anyone ever used these in a 3006? If so, on what game and how'd they do? Many thanks!

Release Lake Trout

The 165 Sierra's are about all I use in both my 3006 and 308. While some may state that the 165 is light for moose, I have not had one get away from me. I have shot several caribou with my BAR-10 in 308 and have not had any problems. This last spring I went on a pig hunt and used my 3006, shooting the 165 Sierra's. I got a nice boar at about 180 yards with one shot.
    As with any thing else it is all about shot placement!

Quote Originally Posted by Hunt&FishAK View Post
    Picked up a box of 165 gr. has anyone ever used these in a 3006? If so, on what game and how'd they do? Many thanks!
    Probably the worse decision you ever made. Everyone knows 1. 30-06 is inadequate for everything in AK 2. Premium bullets in Ak 3. Sierra bullet explode in flight 4. Buy a 280 AI and shoot 160gr accubonds

Quote Originally Posted by 323 View Post
    Probably the worse decision you ever made. Everyone knows 1. 30-06 is inadequate for everything in AK 2. Premium bullets in Ak 3. Sierra bullet explode in flight 4. Buy a 280 AI and shoot 160gr accubonds
    ive been shooting a 3006 for 20 years. Have not lost one animal. have never had anything run off or walk off. Have never had any problems with my favorite all around bullets that I usually shoot, but wanted to try something new, so grabbed a box then once I got home with em, realized I had grabbed the hpbts instead of spitzers. Oh well.
    To anyone who claims that the 3006 is inAdequate for alaska game, is to make themselves look like completely ignorant fools.
    The .280 AI is a great cartridge, but not my thing.

Release Lake Trout

Quote Originally Posted by AK Bearcat View Post
    The 165 Sierra's are about all I use in both my 3006 and 308. While some may state that the 165 is light for moose, I have not had one get away from me.

As with any thing else it is all about shot placement!
    I fully agree! Shot placement is far more an important factor than the caliber or bullet.

Release Lake Trout

Just did some researching on some other forums, and seems that the 165 Sierra GK HPBT performs excellent when loaded hot for caribou, sheep, whitetail/mule deer and even elk and black bear. Excellent penetration and extremely accurate when given a muzzle velocity of at least 2600 fps. From what I've read, this particular bullet was created due to popular demand from shooters who wanted a hunting version of the 168 gr. Sierra match king.

Release Lake Trout

Just FYI, I'm pretty sure 323 was being sarcastic. He rolls that way.....

Took me awhile to figure it out too....

Found what seems to be an excellent combo. 50 grains of IMR 4064 ( which I've got!!!!) will get you 2800 fps. Seems like it's worth a try. Time to consult the lee manual

Release Lake Trout

Quote Originally Posted by dkwarthog View Post
    Just FYI, I'm pretty sure 323 was being sarcastic. He rolls that way.....

Took me awhile to figure it out too....
    Yes i was being very sarcastic. the 165gr sierra bthp gameking is an excellent bullet! Would i use it on brn bear probably not. The std 165gr btsp is a good one as well. Sierra is the only one not jumping in the bonded bullet game.

Quote Originally Posted by Hunt&FishAK View Post
    Found what seems to be an excellent combo. 50 grains of IMR 4064 ( which I've got!!!!) will get you 2800 fps. Seems like it's worth a try. Time to consult the lee manual
    Imr4350 is the go to powder if you can find it. Rl17 is another good one

Quote Originally Posted by 323 View Post
    Imr4350 is the go to powder if you can find it. Rl17 is another good one
    I'd use it if I could. For some reason, my rifle does not like 4350. I do have RL 17 and may try that. I loaded up 5 rounds with 50.5 of the 4064 and will shoot them tomorrow for a test. If I like it and the pressure looks good, might jus work up another grain. If not ill def try 17. Thanks for the confirmation that it is a good bullet. I was kicking myself in the ass for grabbing the wrong box but it apparently is a very common mistake amongst reloaders that they quickly learn to not regret.

Yeah brown bear are a bit outta my game for that bullet weight. I use 200 grain hot cors or 180 AB or partitions for the bruins.

Release Lake Trout

I can report nothing but good for that bullet in my 308, but that is in killing of paper only at this point.

A few years ago I was going on a black bear hunt and I was shooting 140 gr. BTSP Sierra's out of my 7 mag and was wondering if it was enough bullet. I called Sierra and asked there opinion and they recommended there 150 gr. hollow point. I checked the local gun shops and could not find any in stock. I was short on time to get a load worked up and ready to go hunting so I called Sierra back to get a list of there distributors so I could buy the bullets. They give me a list and told me that they would just mail me a few in case I was unable to find any. They put 65 to 70 bullets in a package and mailed them to me free. I did not kill a bear on this trip but was able to get a load worked up and my gun sighted in because of there good customer service. I shoot other bullets also but I shoot a lot of Sierra bullets in several different calibers. They did not owe me anything but went out of there way to help me and I do not forget. I think you will be pleased with your purchase.