Thread: Receiving Odd phone calls, wonder if its TSA?

Default Receiving Odd phone calls, wonder if its TSA?

Recently I have had a rash of odd phone calls with people claiming to be from various countries who claim they want to obtain their private pilots license here in Homer.

The phone numbers are always blocked from my phone and when they claim to be from Germany or Italy they do not seem to be able to respond in those languages when I start speaking it to them. They hang up soon after that point.

Minutes ago I had another one where the guy made sure he said " I am calling from Paris, you know , in France ! " but his phoney accent sounded more like East Brooklyn.

I wounder if the TSA is making calls to see if I am taking foreign students or if it is some other scam...
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

Terrorist Training camp in Homer... they might be over thinking that one...a couple of years ago a strange character showed up looking for an airplane to rent on the East ramp in Fairbanks. He left our place, heading for the competition down the road. Next thing you know the airport police were over there looking for this guy. They seemed a bit excited about the whole thing...never did hear what the outcome was....at least somebody was keeping tabs on this guy....

It is a dream for a lot of people from around the world to fly in Alaska. For the most part it is free airspace and a lot cheaper to fly here than over there. Alaska is still the last wild frontier to most.

Terrorist Training camp in Homer... they might be over thinking that one.
    No, that was not my thought...The TSA requires all sorts of background checks and fingerprinting for non-US flight students. And they require instructors to take a childish security course every year as well. They checked the logs and paperwork of one of my brother flight instructors a few miles north.

At one time I used to offer all sorts of training deals to Germans since I speak that language. ( Not to mention all the Aussies, Irish and South Africans, I used to see...) However that revenue stream dried up when the feds became too involved.

Since I am NOT training any non-US folks these days, they may have been calling to verify just why I do not file paperwork with the Reichs Ministry while still having a couple old tourist web sites in German.
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

It's just targeted spam. I get it all the time for my profession because my email is published on the Internet. Dozens a week probably. Specific to my job.

Hey I'm calling from Paris, France, fugittaboudit.