Thread: Anolog or HD video?

Charterboat Operator kodiakcombo's Avatar

Default Anolog or HD video?

Anyone using a HD underwater camera? I need to pick between HD and anolog for underwater trolling footage. Seems high resolution is the advantage of HD but when the plankton bloom I'll pick up alot of plankton? I have the regular Aquavu and it is crapping out on me, just trying to get a more reliable system. HD is twice the money as anolog, just wondering if I would beable to pick up the different characteristics on a fish if I filtered out the plankton if I used HD. We rigged a HDgopro up for trolling and the sound underwater was interesting but the amount of plankton on review was overwhelming, anyone figure out how to filter the fine stuff on screen and keep the detail of the targeted object?
    Providing trips for multilpe species for over 20 yrs
    www.kodiakcombos.com

Hey Jeff, I don't have one yet but I think the HD should be the way to go but maybe someone else has hands on information. Let me know when you get the camera and how you think it works as I would also like to get one. Maybe bring it to town when you come or maybe I can make a run your direction to check it out. Thanks

Mel
    Kodiak Island Adventures
    907-539-6474
    Shearwater 38' Allen Marine Catamaran
    Lana J 40' USCG inspected

Quote Originally Posted by Mel Roe View Post
    Hey Jeff, I don't have one yet but I think the HD should be the way to go but maybe someone else has hands on information. Let me know when you get the camera and how you think it works as I would also like to get one. Maybe bring it to town when you come or maybe I can make a run your direction to check it out. Thanks

Mel
    I'm waiting for the quote on the analog with 150ft cable, color, DVR recorder, IR lighting and standard FOV. My CFO say the HD is NOT in our budget. Cant wait to load up some footage!
    www.kodiakcombos.com

Show us some video when you get it set up. Thanks

Mel
    Kodiak Island Adventures
    907-539-6474
    Shearwater 38' Allen Marine Catamaran
    Lana J 40' USCG inspected

Analog was $2700!! for a color camera with 150ft of cable, IR lighting, 10" moniter, DVR recorder, and batteries with case. We chopped the cable to 100ft and cut the IR lighting and moniter. Waiting for response.
    www.kodiakcombos.com

Default received underwater camera today

Quote Originally Posted by kodiakcombo View Post
    Analog was $2700!! for a color camera with 150ft of cable, IR lighting, 10" moniter, DVR recorder, and batteries with case. We chopped the cable to 100ft and cut the IR lighting and moniter. Waiting for response.
    analog color seaviewer drop camera with: IR lighting, 150ft cable, 10in monitor, DVR-sd, 18ah battery, pelican cases. All setup today and ready for the ocean tomorrow!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    www.kodiakcombos.com

analog color seaviewer drop camera with: IR lighting, 150ft cable, 10in monitor, DVR-sd, 18ah battery, pelican cases. All setup today and ready for the ocean tomorrow!

Cool, post some videos if you can. I'm building a housing to use a go pro on my downrigger, so can wait to try it out. That system is really cool.

Quote Originally Posted by Swifterz View Post
    Cool, post some videos if you can. I'm building a housing to use a go pro on my downrigger, so can wait to try it out. That system is really cool.
    We made a gopro setup out of pvc and had issues with clarity and battery life, the wifi doesnt work under water could not see bait. Good luck with it.
    www.kodiakcombos.com

We made a gopro setup out of pvc and had issues with clarity and battery life, the wifi doesnt work under water could not see bait. Good luck with it.
    Yup +1 on the wifi. I may have a solution at ice fishing depths for the wifi, but the delay is too long to make it worth anything other than "framing" the shot.

Battery issues? it didn't last as long as above land? Mine (Hero 2) seems to last every bit as long under the ice as it does in summer which I thought was very strange.

If you are using the hero 2 or prior, a flat lens takes the vignetting out of the shot (the dark rounded corners) not sure how the hero 3 and above works. But they hard to beat for the price if you just want to record something and watch it later.

A friend suggested I just strap my gopro to the bottom of my Fishphone...I laughed...then I thought, hey I got both, that'll work.