Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Moose proof bumper?

Default Moose proof bumper?

I know this isn't hunting but in a way it is and it really doesn't fit any other forum. Just wondering what bumpers you have found that can help save your truck. I have a 2012 F-250 that I'm looking to protect and add too. Any thoughts or pictures would be appreciated.
    Semper Fi and God Bless

Is there any such thing? Even with a decent sized truck, if you hit a moose, it's coming over the bumper and onto the hood/windshield. You would need a bumper that is as tall as the truck which isn't all too practical.

Quote Originally Posted by tboehm View Post
    I know this isn't hunting but in a way it is and it really doesn't fit any other forum. Just wondering what bumpers you have found that can help save your truck. I have a 2012 F-250 that I'm looking to protect and add too. Any thoughts or pictures would be appreciated.
    Best advise is - Don't run into a moose.
    With their long legs, impact usually rolls the moose onto the hood. So, if you're traveling fast enough, they'll roll over the bumper & hood and impact the windshield. A bumper high enough to prevent them from gaining the hood, would probably have an adverse affect on visibility.

only abslolute moose proof bumbers- weigh too much to have on your truck any large amount of time.
    even a semi truck on the haul road with their over built bumpers will sustain some damage, limited with caribou, noticable with moose....

get a good looking bar type that has head light protection, and try to avoid hitting moose if possible...

the moose i hit in my F150 took out my entire left headlight asmbly.. and only bent the corner of my heavy front bumper..

Chris

8" well casing.

Ron
    "Equipped with his five senses, man explores the universe around him and calls the adventure science"

Edwin Hubble

Buck Stop make a super heavy bumper with a grill guard that would definately hold up to the impact. Mine is 1/4" thick and added close to 300 lbs to the weight of my truck, with the winch. But moose are probably gonna come over the top of your hood if you hit one at any speed, unless your truck has a super high lift and you are running tires that are over 4' tall.
    “Don't expect to build up the weak by pulling down the strong." ~Calvin Coolidge~

You could build one that's kinda like a ramp, that way if you hit a moose it launches it up in the air and lands in the back of your truck. Take home, butcher and enjoy!
    Some people call it sky busting... I call it optimism
    "Swans are a gift" -DucksandDogs
    I am a shoveler's worst nightmare!

Quote Originally Posted by duckslayer56 View Post
    You could build one that's kinda like a ramp, that way if you hit a moose it launches it up in the air and lands in the back of your truck. Take home, butcher and enjoy!
    You might be on to something there......a new way to "road hunt" if you will.
    BK

As already stated the majority of moose hits will result in the moose rolling over your hood so a bumper will not protect much of the vehicle. For a bumper to work it will have to hit the moose at its mid point, which means it will need to be about four to five feet off the ground.

I used to work with an old dude that owned a body shop when he was younger. He loved fancy grill protectors and off road brush guards that guys bolted on to their trucks. He called them damage multipliers. He had even seen them damage engines when the bolted on piping came loose and were forced through the truck body by the impact. Welded on pipes were not much better.

A snow plow in the raised position does wonders for keeping moose from damaging a vehicle, however it won't help your side panels or mirrors if you don't hit the moose square in the middle. It is pretty rare for a moose to roll up onto the hood or windshield of a big truck like an F250. I have worked moose accidents where the vehicle owner made a bumper out of heavy steel channel (it was a beach site truck) and there was no damage to the truck from the moose. Prevention is the best cure, get good headlights or auxiliary lighting and keep them clean.

None after market bumpers like road armor and others. Yes there going to hold up well to a hard hit but. The rest of frame is designed to Buckle. So when you put a strong built bumper on front and you hit something the only place to give is your frame....
    Do I give my friends advice? Jesus, no. They wouldn't take advice from me. Nobody should take advice from me. I haven't got a clue about anything..

Road Armor

Invest in good lights instead? Just a thought.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Default Moose proof bumper?

Good lights up high to see over the snow berms (ebay is your best bet. Get led and wire on/off to the high beams) . Snow tires and a custom bumper... Check the local machine / welding shops.

ARB bumper???

Herd, Ali Arc and buckstop come to mind. Get good lights and don't hit a moose works better.
    2007 Kingfisher 2825 - Stor Fisk

Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top. -- Hunter S. Thompson

Default cattle guards do work

Twice over the years I've had front end collisions while wearing a high end off the shelf cattle-guard on the front of my truck.

The first was with a Volvo sedan, whose hood was bent clear in half; the front and back of the hood were about a foot and a half apart. I had a few hundred dollars worth of minor ding work where the cattle guard bent back into my hood/fenders in about 8 places; no dent was deeper than 1/8th inch. The guard sprung back and was good as new. As was my truck of course.

The second was a low speed collision with a small/young moose. Zero damage to either my cattle guard or truck, but the moose did not fare so well.

But If I got into a high speed front end collision I'm pretty sure my guard would be a damage multiplier as one member mentioned.... for both my and the other vehicles. But in the process it would help protect my truck's occupants.

I would not own/drive a truck without a hell for strong cattle guard and a few million candlepower bolted to it. My largest worry has always been if a dumb little car jumps in front of me at an intersection; I would certainly do it great harm and also to its occupants. Hasn't happened yet and I hope it never does.

Another utility benefit is to use as a push bar. A few weeks ago I had to move a second truck 20 or so feet thru snow and up a small incline into a garage bay. No way 2 guys could push it by hand. I nosed into it until the rubberized front of my guard touched the other truck - and a quick press of my gas pushed him in pretty nicely. Zero damage to either vehicle, not even a scrape/scratch.

Not a truck, but interesting test by Volvo.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=98ZK_kknP9U

Cool video
    2007 Kingfisher 2825 - Stor Fisk

Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top. -- Hunter S. Thompson

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NnTfPs8SLnk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cPchAZzBrEA

^ ^
    Here's a couple that'll wake you up. Best advice is to run good lights, slow down, and not hit them, no matter what you're driving, nor how impressive your bumper.

A couple years ago a guy hit one just like in these vids, down on the Parks... Moose entered the road from the left side and the only impact was the animals head with the left mirror/corner post/windshield. The corner post was severed and the driver killed. These kinds of quartering impacts are common, probably much more common than head on impacts, and a big bumper isn't going to help you.

Slow down. Be wary.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

I will second the slow down and get better lights thought. Always drive to the conditions and not the speed limit. And drive while you are driving, not talking/ texting on cell phone or any other equivalent actions that takes your focus away from driving.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    If you think you're free, there's no escape possible.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast