Thread: Just go to go and shoot it now

Default Just go to go and shoot it now

Scope came in and it is ready to go to the range. Now if my loads, the Nikon and I will do their jobs. Will shoot it this week or next depends on weather and work.

A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Default Nice...

That scope looks HUGE with the sun shade, haha. I've really been interested in these guns and what type of scope you should get for one. I'm real interested in long range target / varmint shooting, but haven't taken the plunge yet. Look forward to hearing your results!!!

schmidty

Worked on four loads for my 22-250 using IMR-4320 and smallest group out of these four loads was .290" not bad but have three other powders to test. All powders are shot with the 55gr Sierra Game King SBT. Here is a picture of the best group out of IMR-4320 at 3691fps and this was my last group of the day after 2 hours of shooting the 22-250 and also my 300WBY.

group size .290"

I will post pictures of the best group size I get from IMR-4895, IMR-4064 and H380 when I finish testing them.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Beartooth,

The scope looks good. How's the glass? My 22-250 likes 36 gr of Benchmark and 50 gr. VMax. I find that Benchmark meters very consistently. I'm not as good a shot as you but I'm under half an inch. Looks like I'm going to have to do some experimenting with 4320. Good shooting!

Quote Originally Posted by Flyer55 View Post
    Beartooth,

The scope looks good. How's the glass? My 22-250 likes 36 gr of Benchmark and 50 gr. VMax. I find that Benchmark meters very consistently. I'm not as good a shot as you but I'm under half an inch. Looks like I'm going to have to do some experimenting with 4320. Good shooting!
    Thank you for the compliment. The rifle has I believe much more accuracy than I am shooting or loading. I am also going to use some 53gr TSX by Barnes and see how they do. I would really like to be down in the .190" range with my group so that I could have a accurate bullet for long shots. The TSX really shoots great in my 300WBY and I am going to assume they will in my 22-250 but will find out soon.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Quote Originally Posted by Flyer55 View Post
    Beartooth,

I forgot to address your question on how is the scope. I love the Buckmaster 6-18x40 SF BDC. The glass is great, clear, and the scope tracks just where I put it. I like it better than the Luepold Boone & Crockett I had on it. Truly a great scope for the money I spent.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Beartooth,

Thanks for the reply. Glad the scope worked out. The richochette off the barrel of my 30-06 that took out the scope on my 270 (see Strange Day post) started an obsessive compulsive quest to upgrade the glass on all my rifles. The 270 is now sporting an Elite 4200 3x9. I was able to make a run to Cabelas and find an exact replacement for the 30-06 and I haven't replaced the cheap package scope on it yet. Probably because I like experimenting, and I found some good sales, I ended up getting a variety of brands to do the upgrades. This is how I would rate the brightness and image clarity of what I purchased and installed. (Of course that means nothing if the darned things fog or won't hold zero) Sightron 3x9 SII is clearly (pun intended) the best, simply outstanding, Burris Fullfield II and Nikon Monarch are very close and excellent, Bushnell 4200 and 3200 3x9's are bright but image clarity is not quite as sharp as the Nikon and Burris scopes. Leupold VXI and a Rifleman I purchased before don't even compare in clarity. I have a Banner 4x12 Dusk and Dawn that is brighter and far clearer. In fact, to my eyes, an old Simmons 4x I bought in 1982 and Bushnell 4x Sportview have better image quality.

There is a pipeline marker about 500 yards out in a field behind my house. The top is a square orange plate with white lettering. At 9x you can almost make out the letters with the Sightron. You can can tell there is more than one row of lettering. The Nikon and Burris scopes let you know that there is lettering on the orange. With these three scopes the edges of the pole and square orange plate on top are sharp. The Elite scopes are not quite as crisp around the edges and you can tell that there is something on the square plate but it is not distinct like the Sightron. The 4x12 Banner Dusk and Dawn set at 9x is almost as clear as the Elites. The Leupolds are fuzzy by comparison, and on one of them (a 2x7) no amount of adjustment can dial in a crisp image equal to the Bushnell Banner from edge to edge. I can get the image clear at the edges and it is fuzzy in the center and vice versa. I'm thinking of send this one back. I chose the Leupolds for their reliability, warranty, and reputation for customer service. But, I think they should have better clarity for the price. Still at reasonable hunting ranges I don't think one would really notice much difference. I would rather have a Leupold on my rifle, if I took a tumble, or hunted in constant heavy rain than some of the others. I think the Burris Fullfield II and Elite 3200 are the best values, but if you can find 4200, Monarch, or SII scopes on sale they are worth the money. If absolute reliability is the #1 factor I would still go with a Leupold but probably buy the VX III.

I don't know how you handle your scope adjustment and I am sure with most that is the difference they think they see and each persons eyes are a little different which plays into our preception so that said - The reason I like Nikons is simple, you cannot find a brighter, clearer scope than the Nikon 6.5-20X44 Monarch is because there isn't one. At sniper's hide, there was a review from a German magazine where the Nikon was tested along with 7 or 8 other high end (read high $) scopes like Schmidt & Bender, Zeiss, Swarovsky and others. They tested these scopes in in a factory using optical equipment. They found the Nikon had the highest light transmission of all the scopes, bar none. Not what the eye thinks it see but what IS. Now my Buckmaster is not a Monarch but it is not far off. Infact I had a Boone & Crockett VX-III and I took it off the rifle and put on my Zeiss and then took it off and put on the Buckmaster SF BDC and have not looked back. Also took off a Zeiss off my 300WBY and put on a Buckmaster and have not looked back. I own a lot of top end scopes after 30yrs of hunting and shooting and I have found that Nikon truly gives you more for your money than most other scope companies if not all of them. Now the fact is the Nikon is better and this is also from my experience and that should count for something, at least it does for me. Now don't get me wrong I like and use my other scopes that are high end scopes, but on my everyday hunting rifles I now use Nikon. Just a few years ago you could not get me even to look at one much less buy one. I was of the belief that you get what you pay for. That is not always true in the optics field. later
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Beartooth,

One thing I do know about my dominant eye is that it is getting old and doesn't want to read anything less than 12 pt. type within arm's length. I had lasik surgery on it 8 years ago and it still registers 20-15 when I go for an exam. That means that I do have to adjust the ocular lense since it is factory set for 20-20 vision. Since the surgery I have also become rather sensitive to light, in that I need lots of it to see things clearly. So, brightness in a scope is something that really stands out to me. I agree that you can pay way too much for marginal improvements in clarity and light transmission or, actually be paying for performance that isn't there. The Nikon Monach is excellent and it has the added benefit of being lighter than most comparably priced scopes. I put the Monarch on my 338-06 Encore barrel since I bought the barrel primarily for hunting hogs which are most active at dawn and dusk. I figured the 95% light transmission would be just what I needed. I wouldn't hesitate to buy another one if the price was right. I also like that you don't have to fill out and send in a warranty card to have a guarantee.

I also think that individual scopes vary just like eyes. There are small variations in manufacture and assembly that can lead to one scope being outstanding while another of the same model is just excellent. That's why I'm still upset about my heavy old Weaver. Even after being shot into two pieces, if I put the objective lens back on it and turn the objective adjustment, the image is as clear as if nothing happened. I'm thinking about getting some JB Weld and and gluing it back together, even though I know it will fog, just to stick on a beater .22 lr. Given the materials and technologies of 35 years ago it shouldn't have been as good as it was. Now if I could just stop paying too much for car insurance.

Yes, you said a lot and I agree. If you can see good and the scope adjust and the click move the cross hairs to where you want them and holds when bumped during hunting, what more can a man want, so long as I just don't pay to much for it. One of the best light weight scopes for the money anywhere is the Nikon Monarch 3-9x40mm BDC. I hope you have good hunting and there is something that you might want to consider for your eye sight, I have used it to imporve my sight for shooting. I figure you could use any help you could get. It is Claroxan Avanced 45 phone number to contact them if you are interested is 1-877-677-EYES or www.Claroxan.com. I sure hope your hunting and shooting goes well and you have fun with it this year and alos during hunting season. Just me
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS