Thread: How was the 2013 Shrimping season for you?

Default How was the 2013 Shrimping season for you?

Our second season shrimping out of Valdez was good. Although not as successful, numbers wise, as our first season (probably beginners luck) we still had a great time. Would be interested in hearing how others did this past season and if they cared to share any tidbits or pointers for those of us still perfecting our efforts to find those tasty critters.
    "Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away."

they are all being tight lipped so it must have been good a lot of folks i've talked with said it was ok but not as good as years ago. In my opinion there is a LOT of gear being fished all summer and the pie is getting sliced thinner and thinner. The comm guys never caught their quota so don't blame it on them, we're all guilty.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

Quote Originally Posted by potbuilder View Post
    they are all being tight lipped so it must have been good a lot of folks i've talked with said it was ok but not as good as years ago. In my opinion there is a LOT of gear being fished all summer and the pie is getting sliced thinner and thinner. The comm guys never caught their quota so don't blame it on them, we're all guilty.
    Agree with Potbuilder. We have to work harder and longer to get the same quantity that was easy to obtain 5-6-7 years ago.
    BK

I did my part. I only went once and even then someone cleaned my pots out in Passage Canal. ( I know cause they were rigged way different then when I dropped them. at least they didn't steal them)

So my total was like 40 shrimp in all
    2000 Bayliner Ciera Express 2452
    5.0 Mercruiser Alpha 1

The shrimping is getting hit harder closer to Whittlier and Valdez. People are just not going out as far as they were when they could afford the extra cost. I went a few more miles out of two trips and did a lot better than closer to whittlier. Or it could be my bad luck who knows .

Quote Originally Posted by Alaskanmutt View Post
    I did my part. I only went once and even then someone cleaned my pots out in Passage Canal. ( I know cause they were rigged way different then when I dropped them. at least they didn't steal them)

So my total was like 40 shrimp in all
    We likewise lost one pull to thieves not far out of Valdez. Due to the large number of commercial guys out during our second trip, middle of August, we tried some different spots much further out and were just sorta guessing on spots to drop. We were skunked on a couple of pulls but still had a great time. Any time spent on the water in PWS is a treasured experience.
    "Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away."

On the way to depletion, just as it was back in the 80's. Poor management again. Enjoy it while it last.

Quote Originally Posted by Soundfisher View Post
    On the way to depletion, just as it was back in the 80's. Poor management again. Enjoy it while it last.
    Glad its not just me that feels that way Jerry. Did ya sell your boat ??

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

Sold my gear as I never could get into any #s that could condone the expense. It's a shame IMO that it is just open with no limits. Some go crazy and take thousands while some are happy to get a hundred a season. If the good fishing was near the pots I would keep doing it but I have to come home with something more valuable than 50-150 shrimp to cover the expenses....not to mention the worries of losing hundreds in gear if you leave it to fish.

Heavy Hitter Fishing
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Heavy...54441957966186

Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro-Staff

We had a good season on the water this year, to me shrimping is just something suplimental to being out on the water and if I have a few bags of shrimp in the freezer all the better. I cna never justify the cost of a boat and gear whether it be for fishing or shrimping. The reason to do it are for experieces you simply can't have any other way. Such as shrimp that is less than an hour out of the water for dinner.

I don't know how the shrimping has been in the greater sound over the past three seasons as I simply haven't had the opporunity to shrimp outlying areas season after season as I have in Passage Canal. If I'm going out for a day trip of fishing I drop my pots on the way out and pull them on the way back. From that perspective, the catch rate has definately dropped significantly over the past three years. I'd say the days of pulling your five pots and and a 5 gallon bucket not being big enough to hold your catch are gone, but two to three gallons of shrimp per pull are fairly reasonable. Some of the areas further out from port or qood and some are dismal. One spot I've done fairly well I haven't been able to visit for the past two seasons so I'm anxious to try and get back out there this coming season.

Overall I'd rate it a very successful season. Whenever I took friends or family out on the water they were fascinated to watch the shrimp gear being set and pulled and we always cooked up more than enough fresh shrimp and fish for dinner.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

We did our part as well...didn't get a single pot wet last year. We had plenty of trips planned, but weather and life took over.

Way fewer shrimp than past hauls until we started dropping 600 feet instead of the usual 300-350 feet, then picked up to 2/3 or more of what we got years ago. We tried that deep back then and got nothing. Shrimp were larger than usual, and only 10% or less had eggs in August, usually the majority do. Bigger shrimp could mean that reproduction is down, but that is a shaky conclusion without a lot of data. Deeper and later egg bearing for sure...not sure what that means, but try deeper in the same areas that produced before. We also got more and larger coonstripe shrimp than ever before. This is all on the Eastern PWS side, well out from Valdez. We bait solely with Potbuilders shrimp pellets. Sometimes in the past we added fish carcasses but that seem to just attract more sea maggots, sculpins etc. and doesn't result in more shimp. OH YEAH....almost forgot....almost ZERO sea lice last year, YAY...but what does that mean??