Thread: September Hunt Report - Boar & Bull

Default September Hunt Report - Boar & Bull

Happy New Years! Finally got around to pulling a hunt report together - pretty good trip.

Part 1
    I had killed a monster bull moose five years ago and had booked to go back to that spot this past September. My buddy Dirk had established Alaska residency after moving up to Anchorage, so he was able to join me on this hunt. Someone was in “my” spot the morning we were to fly out, so we ended up at another location – in the long run, we would not be not disappointed.

Dirk killed this very nice brownie late on the first evening; he had to scramble and run around a 1/2mile to cut him off, but eventually got to within 80yds of the boar and made a good off-hand shot. The bear fell within 30yds. We spent most of the night rolling around the tussock tundra with this guy just trying to get him skinned. He fell in a hole and we couldn’t roll him out or roll him over. We got back to camp at 3:30 the next morning. NOTE: The dates on the pics are not accurate.

Part 2

He was an honest 8ft bear and we spent part of the next few days in camp fleshing the hide. Late in the afternoon of day three, I stood up to stretch my back from being in the fleshing position – i.e., hunched over – and spotted a nice bull across the valley about a mile from camp. We guessed him around 60”, maybe a little bigger, but it was too late to reach him.

In the early afternoon of the fourth day, it happened again. I got up from fleshing to stretch and saw him across the valley. While we were gearing up he disappeared, but we had the area marked. We paddled across the lake and down a creek till we were even with the spot, got out and went straight at him. The wind kept flipping and quartering to us from both directions, so we had to be careful to try and approach the area straight-on to keep him from winding us. It took us a while to get close to our mark, but as we approached the area, working through head high willows, we caught movement to our left at 20yds. He was getting out of his bed. As he got up, he grunted and I immediately grunted back. He thrashed the willows then turned to face me. Dirk and I quickly realized he was a bigger than 60”. We proceeded to have a pretty intense couple of minutes of interaction – I got him fired up; he was calling, thrashing, and I got him antler-rocking as he circled us at 20yds, all while I tried to find a hole to shoot through. The kill is a story in itself, but it took 3 shots (all within 20yds) to anchor him and a coup de gras once he was down – it was a bit of a rodeo.

Part 3

We spent the next 2 ˝ days getting him back to camp - and they were long days.

The last trip…

We were pretty tired at this point.

We had a blast doing this trip and it was great having Dirk as a hunting partner; we made a pretty good team.

well done...sounds like a hell of a combo hunt. congratulations! that's a smoker of a bull! and a beautiful rug for your buddys den...good job.

Nice bull & boar! Sounds like a good trip to have your buddy on. }:>
    Live life and love it
    Love life and live it

Great pics, sounds like an awesome hunt! How heavy would you estimate those antlers to be?

Quote Originally Posted by Anythingalaska View Post
    Great pics, sounds like an awesome hunt! How heavy would you estimate those antlers to be?
    Dirk lifts alot and said they were at least 100lbs. I've weighed a similar sized euro mount and it was a over 100lbs - I think around 110lbs?

Wow looked like a great hunt you took some awesome photos thanks for sharing your hunt

Sent from my C771 using Tapatalk 2

Awesome, simply awesome. Thanks for posting the pics.
    BK

Congrats on a couple of really nice animals.It does not get any better than that.

WOnderful story and great results. Thanks for sharing and making us drool! Maybe I missed it, what did he tape?
    Semper Fi and God Bless

Quote Originally Posted by tboehm View Post
    Maybe I missed it, what did he tape?
    No fair, you have to make your guess first........lol
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

The bull measured 70.75".

Great hunt and good report. I love the pictures in Part 3.

Randy

Okay, a 71 inch moose and an 8 foot bear? Go buy a lottery ticket and see how far you can ride this thing. Awesome hunt. Yet it was your last trip were you shot the monster bull moose.......must have been a giant to top,this one!
    “I come home with an honestly earned feeling that something good has taken place. It makes no difference whether I got anything, it has to do with how the day was spent. “ Fred Bear

Quote Originally Posted by Sollybug View Post
    Okay, a 71 inch moose and an 8 foot bear? Go buy a lottery ticket and see how far you can ride this thing. Awesome hunt. Yet it was your last trip were you shot the monster bull moose.......must have been a giant to top,this one!
    From where I sit, this bull is a monster. But, in fact, the previous one was bigger. He was an older bull with a bigger body, a little more mass, and was a little over 73". They're both XXXL!

Great hunt and nice pics! Congratulations!

I kinda know what you mean about the bear falling in a hole. I killed an Elk on the side of a mtn once.
    After I got the top side skinned and quartered, I had a heck of a time rolling him over to do the other side.

Thanks for sharing-awesome hunt and pics! Now just PM me the numbers and I'll safeguard the area next fall
    I have such a hard time trying to decide which outdoor activity to do every chance I get!! Living in AK is a mental challenge