Thread: 375 Ruger

Default 375 Ruger

Is anyone loading 375 Ruger? If so, what kinds of velocities are you getting? I started reloading mine using RE17 and Nosler 300gr Accubonds before there was any published data. I began by working up loads with the RE17, based on minimum loads of IMR4350. I worked up to 80.5 grains of RE17, with no external pressure signs, and stopped there because I was getting over 2800 fps on the chrono.

Now that Nosler has released data for RE17, I am 2 grains over their max load and almost 200 fps over their max velocity for RE17. I'm a little concerned, but my primers are less flattened than the Hornady factory loads and the bolt lift is no heavier than working an empty rifle. The recoil is a little stiff, but it is a 375.

Has anyone else had this same experience?
    “Don't expect to build up the weak by pulling down the strong." ~Calvin Coolidge~

I use RE15 with 75.5 gr and a 260 gr accubond. Gives me 2850 velocity. Great load ! I used it in S Africa on eland and other plains game. It did a good job. On the eland I should have used the 300 gr Nosler partition or Swift A frame but got the job done. Eland are BIG animals.

Silver Tip
    "If we lose freedom here, there is no other place to escape to. This is the last stand on earth." ...Ronald Reagan.....please never forget this!!!

Your RE15 load is 1/2 grain below the Nosler max and your velocity is online with Nosler's published data. My load is 2 grains above Nosler's, no pressure signs and I really like the accuracy I get with RE17; I have several lbs, so I don't think I'll switch powders. My concern is: should I back off to the Nosler recommendation, or should I stick with my current load even though it above Nosler's max? No pressure signs with my current load and the rifle shoots cloverleafs at 100 yds.
    “Don't expect to build up the weak by pulling down the strong." ~Calvin Coolidge~

I'm not going to tell you what is safe and what isn't. I will say that I go with the pressure signs. If every thing looks and feels good and primer pockets are holding up, then I am good to go.

Here's a couple of threads you might find interesting.

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...SX-RL-17/page2

http://www.longrangehunting.com/foru...-winded-70917/
    "You will never know how much it cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you make good use of it."
    ~ John Quincy Adams

Thanks Montana,
    Marshall has always had some good info. I believe I may have ran across this thread when I first started looking for RE17 info. This is exactly the kind of info I am looking for. I think I'll get my hand on a micrometer and measure case heads the next time I get to the range. If there's no case head expansion, I'm gonna stick with my load.

OKELKHunter,

I worked this Ruger out pretty hard with over 600 rounds down range to date. I've run a lot of bullet powder combinations through it.

When I started working on RL-17 loads there wasn't any data with the cartridge at that time. Now Hornady has published data with a lower charge than mine. It is also a lot slower than their factory loaded offering available in retail stores. It has me scratching my head a bit but I feel my load is safe in my rifle. I'm positive my recipe would be to hot for a longer barrel, mine is the 20" Alaskan.

I've shot it in a variety of temperatures over the past two years with consistent success and no excess pressure signs at all. The primers are still round at the edges, the case doesn't stretch longer at the neck or swell the web. The bolt lift has been smooth with the finished RL-17 load. I also set up head spacing to .002" with my fired brass. This prevents the primer from moving out of the pocket and re-seating when the brass moves back against the bolt face. To much head spacing can give an over pressure indication.

I've been working on a wildcat design based on the Ruger case. Ruger / Hornady have applied the same concepts into the original 375 Ruger case design. They have reduced case taper to .0085 per inch of body length.

P.O. Ackley documented testing his designs with a case taper reduced to as little as .0075 per inch and claimed reduced signs of pressure and bolt face trust do to the case body grabbing the chamber wall. In other words cases with more body taper show high pressure signs sooner because they apply their thrust rearward against the bolt face. This may explain why the Ruger case design has shot so well without visual pressure signs.

I may reduce my final recipe powder charge to a 300gr factory velocity value (2660fps) since I don't have pressure measuring equipment to evaluate if my load is truly safe.

I am not a professional load developer. I did document the process I followed pretty well in the link below. Read it over and make your own decisions. Always use common since, calibrate your equipment and start the load process with a minimum charge and work up. Don't be shy about spending a little money shooting several recipes during testing.

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...SX-RL-17/page1

Thanks Marshall
    I made post #1 while at work and didn't have may final numbers. After looking at my last chrono readings, my 80.5 grain load averaged 2726fps from a 23" barrel. My first readings were high, over 2800, but I don't think the chrono I was using was accurate. I have since gotten my own and thats where the 2726 average comes from. Next time I get to the range, I'm going to test again and I may back down to noslers max, but if my accuracy falls off, I'm may stick with my my current load.