Thread: Hunting Maps

Default Hunting Maps

Where is the best place to get maps in Anchorage? I would like a quality map of a spefic hunting area.

If your hunt happens to fall into one of the specific parks or areas captured by one of the popular maps sold at REI,that's your easiest and cheapest option. Not likely though, so next stop would be USGS located over between UAA and APU. They can get you maps of any area of the state. Honestly, though, I would suggest buying a piece of mapping software. You only need to go on about three different trips for it to pay for itself, and you have a lot more customizable options. You can use larger-scale maps to encompass the entire surrounding area for traveling into the hunt area, and then use smaller scale maps with more detail for the area you intend to hunt. I use TOPO! (The ! is part of the title of the program, not me being enthusiastic about my mapping software.) but there are several out there to choose from.
    My signature is awesome.

Default Hunting Maps

Go to the ARLIS section of the uaa library. They have the entire usgs collection of the whole state sand if you bring a flash drive, you can scan whatever you want for free.

PM me if you need any help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Born in Alaska: The boundary lines have fallen for me in pleasant places; surely I have a delightful inheritance. Psalm 16:6

If you're comfortable using Google Earth, you can download the KML files from here

http://www.alaskamapped.org/

and have USGS topo maps overlaid for the whole state in Google Earth for free.
    Jason
    http://www.troutnut.com -- Fly fishing photos & insect hatch encyclopedia.
    http://www.daltoncorridormap.com -- Exact 5-mile Haul Road corridor boundary for GPS & Google Earth

Quote Originally Posted by Gr is for Greg View Post
    If your hunt happens to fall into one of the specific parks or areas captured by one of the popular maps sold at REI,that's your easiest and cheapest option. Not likely though, so next stop would be USGS located over between UAA and APU. They can get you maps of any area of the state. Honestly, though, I would suggest buying a piece of mapping software. You only need to go on about three different trips for it to pay for itself, and you have a lot more customizable options. You can use larger-scale maps to encompass the entire surrounding area for traveling into the hunt area, and then use smaller scale maps with more detail for the area you intend to hunt. I use TOPO! (The ! is part of the title of the program, not me being enthusiastic about my mapping software.) but there are several out there to choose from.
    I second the National Geographic Topo! software, however, you are limited by the size of your printer on how large of a map you can print. The maps sold at the USGS store are MUCH better than anything I have ever printed using Topo!, even though they are the still the same map. What Topo! Is really good for is planning and the portability of having every map in the state on your laptop. It's also good if you want to print on waterproof paper. Also, if you go with Topo! Don't bother with or be fooled by the 1:24k map printing. I learned from the guys at the USGS store that there are very very few maps of AK in less than 1:63360, and those that are, are of urban areas in or near Anchorage and Fairbanks. (Although there is a current 10 yr plan to create new 1:24k maps of the entire state with all new map data.) The 1:24k maps in Topo! Are essentially the same as taking a 1:63360 map to Kinko's Copy Center and having it scanned and "blown up" to a larger image. The image is larger, but you have no more information on a given size sheet of paper than the original. (No greater detail)

The other thing Topo! Is good for is duplication. If you have multiple folks in your hunting party, you can print maps for each of them, in case you're separated. You can also import waypoints to and for your GPS and Topo! will print that in red letters right on your map. You can actually print your entire route on your map, on multiple maps, and distribute the. To everyone in your party, and to a responsible person at home with your hunt plan. Makes a heck of a good tool in case an individual gets separated or the State Troopers have to come looking for you.

caltopo.com
    myfreetopo.com