Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: .260 rem?

Default .260 rem?

Hello All!

First off, Happy holidays and a happy New Year!

Now, does anyone use a .260rem? I was raised on a .270win, and now own a .280rem and use it for my bigger game, and just bought my honey a .243. but want to know about a .260?? I use my .223 on everything from beaver to Ugruuks and want to go reindeer hunting, but would like to eventually own a .260 for longer range reindeer and even ice seal hunting with a potential back up for moose if need be.

Anything about it is appreciated!

nanuaq2013

I was reading about this yesterday and I think the manufacturers stopped chambering for them.

But there's 25-06 and 7mm-08.

Premium Member

It is an excellent round. I use it extensively for hunting and competition. Given the ballistics of heavy-for-caliber 6.5mm bullets, it handles well at longer ranges, and is perhaps ideal for reindeer/caribou/deer sized hunting.

A ballistic twin, the 6.5x55 Sw, has been used for quite a while to hunt larger animals in Scandinavia (their moose), but it does require excellent shot placement for our moose and elk.

It is still chambered by rifle manufacturers, but in smaller numbers. I just picked up a Savage for my son, though I shoot a Remington 700 that was custom barreled. I've seen Kimbers and Tikkas recently, too.

.260 Remington is still chambered and a very nice light rifle. I don't know that it will do much your .243 and .270 won't do but the 6.5s have good sectional density and hold on to velocity pretty well.

Ballistically its a twin of the 6.5x55 (as someone pointed out) and that's got a very good record on caribou, deer and even moose all around the Arctic for a very long time now.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

I have a few buddies who have a .260, they love the it!...two have the 260 AI..there are some very high BC bullets in 6.5!..the 140gr Berger with a BC of .612 is a dandy! Another buddy just build a 6.5-WSM and shoots the 140 Berger with awesome results...some bullets are so good they are worth building a gun just for them!
    "Mountains are not fair or unfair, they are just dangerous" ~ Reinhold Messner

Wikipedia says Remington doesn't chamber it anymore but still makes ammunition.

Who produces a rifle in .260? Am interested.

Quote Originally Posted by mike h View Post

Savage chambers it in several models and it's in Remington's 2013 catalog as a standard offering in the M7 so they're out there at least. Steyr chambers for it in the Prohunter. Tikka has chambered for it as well as Sako. DSA will even produce an FAL type with a .260 barrel and DPMS puts it in the AR10 types.

On the high- Nosler chambers it in their M48 TGR and Custom rifles as well as making several flavors of ammunition and Cooper offers it on several models.

A .260 can be had on pretty much any short action rifle by screwing a new barrel on it.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

I have used a 260 on Bou and Deer size game for 10+ years and have a Model 700 LSS Mountain Rifle and it is by far, my favorite round for Bou/Deer size game. I use 90 grain AccuTip for whitetails and Barnes TTSX Boat Tail for larger critters. I have yet to have any critter run more than 50 yards. I have hit critters right in the boiler room and the 90 grain pill totally destroyed the internals. Nosler makes a premium partition in 125's that shoot <1" out of my Mountain Rifle.. Great Cartridge as long as the bullet is properly placed you can't go wrong.

I think some European moose hunters killed many a moose with a similar round, so with a good bullet it should do the same in North America. I have wanted one for awhile now, but the 7-08 Rem. also has my attention.

I have a 260 on my "tactical" rifle set up - a Remington 700 with a custom barrel. It is super accurate and it is a great cartridge, but for a hunting rifle I went with the 6.5x55 Swede. It is easier to get factory Swede ammo with good bullets and there is a lot more good Swede brass as well. So far, the .260 hasn't caught on with the hunting community, but is doing well with the F-class, long range competition shooters.

Most of the major gun makers made a rifle in 260 a few years ago, but it has been since dropped. Most still carry the 6.5x55 in their lineup.

Quote Originally Posted by mike h View Post

Kimber Montana makes a .260 rem., Bought one for my son back in 2008 as his first rifle. I had to special order it at the time and delivery was about 6 weeks. Not sure if they still make it in that caliber anymore, but the rifle is really sweet, and very lightweight.

It doesn't show as an option on their website anymore. I did find one Remington model still available, but not the 700.

I'm going to agree with others on this one. 6.5x55 Swedish Mauser is a great caliber with factory ammo available. I have a 6.5 Rem Mag and it is quite the performer, but it hasn't been chambered by a factory since Remington did in the early 2000's. But the 6.5x55 is a great cartridge.

Kimber did make it in a .260 but not anymore. At least not in a Montana. Seems to me like too good of a caliber to drop.

GA Precision will make you a 260. I have a 308 AR by GA Precision. With my hand-loads I can normally keep <1/4 inch at 100 yards center-to-center. I've met a few folks that own a bolt action GAP and they have told me that they shoot as tight or tighter groups than what I can do.

MyTime
    MyTime

Savage makes several rifles chambered in 260 Rem. Plan to buy one myself soon for 500-1000 yard target shooting and practical rifle (bipod prone) competitions. The longe range hunter is a model you should take a look at. The 260 has great reputation for accuracy. Also, the barrel will last longer than the 6.5-284. If you reload or know someone that does, it would be of great benefit. I doubt you will find ammo readily available or affordable otherwise. The guy at Nome Outfitters should be able to put you in touch with reloaders if nothing else. Maybe you could buy the dies and components and come to an agreement, trade services or something. Most reloaders are very helpful I have experienced. I wouldn't buy a 260 if I had to rely on store bought ammo. Surely not in Nome at any rate.

Dan
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Shot a Remington M7 in the .260 for a few years whenever the cartridge was first introduced. It is a wonderful cartridge and IMO is in a whole nother realm than the 243/6mm cartridges. It uses bullets weighing 20-60% more at about the same speeds with higher BC and SD. The better constructed 140gr bullets give penetration that is nearly unbelievable. I have pushed them through deer and hogs lengthwise with an exit, one buck was shot in the chest as he faced me and had his tail blown off when the bullet exited, range was a shade over 100yds. I prefer the 260 over the Swede because of its ability to fit in a short action. My only recommendation would be to shy away from the factory load using the 140 Corelokt, I had several give little to no penetration on deer, especially when bones were involved, in two instances only a surface wound was produced when large bones were encountered.

Thanks Everyone!

I'm planning to reload later in the year after I buy a start up kit and order and airfreight supplies here when I travel to ANC (Cheaper to order and ship with HAZMAT when you send a pallet since its $30 extra) and even trying to use a caravan on a barge order to save on shipping.
    I'm thinking I'll go for a .260 for reloading and trying SP as this would be for hunting purposes only.

Remington is bringing the 260 rem. back in 2014 in their 700 SPS models. 1-8" twist, too.

The amount of game taken across North America with the 308 family of cartridges, is far greater than people realize. The success, could be attributed to the milder velocities where bullet failure occurs less frequently, the accuracy potential due to mild recoil, and the light weight, trim characteristics of the rifles chambered for 308 based cartridges. What's truly shocking, is the extended range that some folks have shot game with these cartridges too. Ranges that I wouldn't personally shoot, but still impressive none the less.
    Five round capacity, weighing in at 6-6 3/4 lbs, and generally only needing a 20" barrel. I don't find anything needing "improvement" in case design either. The 20 degree shoulders offer some smooth cycling. The case taper is about perfect too IMO.
    I enjoyed handloading for the 260 rem back in 2000-2005 when I had one. Mine liked all 160 grainers, usually 1/2" groups after glass bedding.

Attached Images Attached Images

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast