Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Old hunters

Default Old hunters

Are there many "Old guys" 70+ still hunting in the Great Land? I live in Colorado and find it hard to find anyone to hunt with. My kids are doing their own thing and don't want to hunt any more.....so I generally go alone, but not as much fun and my wife worries about me. I have an "InReach", makes her feel a bit better. I can handle Muley's OK but elk are really hard for me to get out unless I can get the ATV close. I used to have horses and pack them out....but got rid of the 4 legged critters since they require work all year long.
    just wonderin' ?

Silver Tip
    "If we lose freedom here, there is no other place to escape to. This is the last stand on earth." ...Ronald Reagan.....please never forget this!!!

I'll preface it by saying that AK has fewer folks of that age bracket than most other places.

That said- I've hunted with a couple in the neighborhood of 70 and know several more 70+ that still hunt every single year.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

I know a few and can tell you being the young buck at 66 sucks. I hate hearing let the youngster do it. Up side is I can call them old farts and still learn some.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

I feel for you. I'm not 70 yet but will be 62 in 2014 and my son also likes to do his own thing so most of my hunting is done solo and the last Elk I got was also a solo hunt.
    Fortunately I was able to drive up to but that took some work getting in there. My last hunt (Coues Whitetail) was a month ago and I boned the buck out stashed the meat and went back to camp a bit over 1/2 a mile away to leave my rifle and empty the pack so I could come back for the meat which took about five hours.
    My BIL who lives up in your neck of the woods in Monument confided in me that he want to learn how to Elk hunt so I told him if he was serious I'd come up and teach him how so we are going to put in for the draw.
    I hunted behind Purgatory about 15 years ago but that was on horseback so I have been reading as much as I can find on where to hunt in CO by searching as may forums as I can. Any info you can send our way would be greatly appreciated.
    He inherited a few guns when his dad passed last year but nothing elk worthy. I happened across an old Savage 110E a few months ago at a pretty good price so I snatched it up.
    It was an old early 70's model with and old Weaver on it in 30.06 so I began the job of tearing it down. One thing led to another and a month or so later I had a newer composite stock on it and put a Limb Saver pad on it too. I didn't care for the scope and it was missing the rubber ring around the eyepiece so I put a newer 3x9 scope I had and replaced the old rings with some Leupolds I got in a trade.
    I had it to the range four or five times as I added stuff to it and when it was all said and done it really shot nice so I boxed it up and shipped it to him and he is loving it.

Being a pre war baby, I guess that I qualify. I have found that hunting in Alaska is a lot tougher than hunting in other places. Just getting to where you can hunt is tough and expensive. Since I turned 70, I have tried to fill my "Bucket List". Doves in Argentina, Water Buffalo and Pigs in Florida, Safari to South Africa and Quail in Georgia. Those hunts do NOT include "Armed camping in the cold and rain", clawing your way to the top of a mountain through Devil's clubs and thick alders while wearing hip boots, and if you are lucky 10-12 pack board loads to get the meat and horns to where you can get "transportation to". My next trip is back to Africa for a Cape Buffalo. As for the packing part etc. I have "People" to do that. One thing that I have learned is that I no longer have any taxidermy done. Heck, at my age; all that is good for is to impress people you might not even like. When you make that last Safari to the "Great Beyond", your kids are just going to throw the stuff in a dumpster. The money that you save can go a long way toward another trip. I have a wall in my shop with several 8x10's that provide all the memories that I need. Well that's enough of my musings. I hope that you other Septinagerions understand.

Quote Originally Posted by Nanook View Post
    One thing that I have learned is that I no longer have any taxidermy done. Heck, at my age; all that is good for is to impress people you might not even like.
    Now THAT was funny as hell...!!!
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Quote Originally Posted by PRDATR View Post
    I hunted behind Purgatory about 15 years ago but that was on horseback so I have been reading as much as I can find on where to hunt in CO by searching as may forums as I can. Any info you can send our way would be greatly appreciated.
    We too horses back into the Raggeds Wilderness Area back in 97'. It was in the Dark Canyon area above Crested Butte. I saw lots of elk back then. Of course I can't say how the hunting is now, but you may want to check into it. Beautiful country.....

I'm pushing 65 pretty hard and with a busted up body I feel 70+...does that count? I guess I'm lucky to have #2 son hunting with me and I certainly enjoy it more when he's with me but he works and I hunt a fair amount of the season. When I lived in AK I was in my 30's and 40's and didn't think a thing about hunting alone but then it sure was nice to have help hauling meat across knee deep muskeg. Now, a 50lb pack is about all I care to carry so that doubles the number of trips. A good friend of mine gave up hunting with a gun when he turned 66 and now uses a camera and he says it's a lot more fun to have someone else gut and haul while he snaps pix...I'm not there yet. My Dad hunted until he was 76 and he died after deer season the same year. Guess I'll try to make it that long.
    Somewhere along the way I have lost the ability to act politically correct. If you should find it, please feel free to keep it.

Got my last Alaska moose in the King River area last year. I was 81-yrs old at the time. Fortunately, I'm still "disgustingly healthy" as my father once said when he opposed my enlisting in the USAF back in 1950. After having flown and guided Alaska for more than three decades, I've decided to hang it up as far as the hunting is concerned. I'll NEVER give up flying, as long as I can still pass the Class II medical requirements.

I'm a near-geezer in terms of my big game hunting. I can understand something now that I couldn't when I was younger.

All the classic old hunters- OConnor, Keith, Aagard.... Take your pick and look at their history. At some point, sooner for some and later for others, they all turned into bird hunters and did little or no big game hunting. Natural course of events, now that I can see it from the back side of a big game life. I still love my hunting, but have less and less interest in poking yet another big animal. But don't get between men and my shotgun. Most of the geezers I know have done the same, rather than quit altogether. If the bird hunting isn't near and easy for them, then they're pretty much through hunting.

Mad props to all of you 'senior hunters'!!!!

http://www.urbandictionary.com/defin...rm=mad%20props

Here's an idea to keep you gentlemen out chasing big game. Put an ad on this forum or perhaps even on Craigslist titled "Elder looking to show young guys the ropes". I'm quite sure you'll get flooded with muscle to give you a hand.

I'd volunteer but I hunt with a 65 y/o friend that is much appreciative when I'm slinging his quarters thru the woods. Of course, not nearly as appreciative as I am with the wealth of knowledge I've gained from him over the years.
    I am serious... and don't call me Shirley.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KM2K7sV-K74

I guess I qualify as an old geezer, I turned 74 about 9 1/2 months ago. my problems are: I have all the free time in the world, but my Sons and Grandsons don't. Since it really upsets the wife if I go off hunting alone, I pass up a lot of hunting time, waiting for a son or grandson to get some time off to go with me. However, based on the wear and tear and abuse of my body, I just don't have the strength to pack out a moose anymore.. So it's very necessary that a Son and Grandson go with me. I never gave it much thought until Brownbear put it in words, but I've been using a beautiful 20ga O/U much more than I've been using the old 300 WM the last couple years.

Quote Originally Posted by akiceman25 View Post
    I'd volunteer but I hunt with a 65 y/o friend that is much appreciative when I'm slinging his quarters thru the woods. Of course, not nearly as appreciative as I am with the wealth of knowledge I've gained from him over the years.
    Kudos to you for sure...

Quote Originally Posted by Old John View Post
    I pass up a lot of hunting time, waiting for a son or grandson to get some time off to go with me.
    Although at 57 I won't put myself in the "old geezer" class just yet, (but the way I've been hurting myself the last few years it sure feels like it at times) and as I am still working so don't have all the free time I'd like, I sure was looking forward to hunting with my son......which unfortunately hasn't happened in a long time now. As soon as he was able to get into the working world our hunting time just ended. Hope that will change soon......

Quote Originally Posted by akiceman25 View Post
    Mad props to all of you 'senior hunters'!!!!

http://www.urbandictionary.com/defin...rm=mad%20props

Here's an idea to keep you gentlemen out chasing big game. Put an ad on this forum or perhaps even on Craigslist titled "Elder looking to show young guys the ropes". I'm quite sure you'll get flooded with muscle to give you a hand.

As a 45 year old just getting started in hunting I would be more than happy to pack a couple loads for some of the knowledge senior guys have.
    This is how I learned how to fish silver's when I was 10. This old man I met taught me everything I needed to know in exchange for helping him down to the river and carrying his fish back to his camp... He was in his 80's then and his wife did not worry about him when I was with him.
    2007 Kingfisher 2825 - Stor Fisk

Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top. -- Hunter S. Thompson

At 70, I went after Black Bear last year. Came across a brownie but it was in the wrong unit and I didn't have the right gun for it. Saw blackies but none of them were worth my trouble. I'm having surgery in a few days. After I mend, I'll be going to Zimbabwe and Namibia for my 5th African safari. 70 is not a plateau.

Good for you rainy day hunter Keep enjoying what you enjoy

Sent from my C771 using Tapatalk 2

My father is 74 and still hunts moose every year
    Is it opening day of duck season yet
    Member of Alaska Waterfowl Association

My grandfather turns 80 this spring and hasn't missed getting a moose each fall for as long as I've been around. He does it a little closer to home now though. The horseback rides were getting pretty rough.

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Quote Originally Posted by Old John View Post
    I guess I qualify as an old geezer, I turned 74 about 9 1/2 months ago. my problems are: I have all the free time in the world, but my Sons and Grandsons don't. Since it really upsets the wife if I go off hunting alone, I pass up a lot of hunting time, waiting for a son or grandson to get some time off to go with me. However, based on the wear and tear and abuse of my body, I just don't have the strength to pack out a moose anymore.. So it's very necessary that a Son and Grandson go with me. I never gave it much thought until Brownbear put it in words, but I've been using a beautiful 20ga O/U much more than I've been using the old 300 WM the last couple years.
    I understand completely.

My wife hunts with me, partly because she doesn't want me to go alone. AND, partly because we combine other activities with huning.
    As I get older, I'm not sure I should go alone.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast