Thread: Snowmachine Trailer Advice

Default Snowmachine Trailer Advice

I am looking into buying a snowmachine trailer. I have about a $2,500 budget. I went to several places and the two trailers that I am most interested in so far are a 12' Triton and 12' Aluma. They both seem very comparable to me. The Aluma is a little less expensive and seems like the better deal, but I am not a snowmachine trailer expert and I was wondering if anyone could let me know their opinion. I will be using it primarily for towing two snowmachines in the winter, but also for carrying my raft in the summer. Any opinions on what I should be looking for? Also, I am not sure what size tire is on the Triton, but I know the Aluma comes with a 10" tire. Is that a bad thing? Should I look for something with bigger tires? Thanks

I will jump in here, Many years ago we had a two place snow machine trailer and it was more trouble then it was worth. But having said that, we were over loading the trailer. For me, I want a steel trailer, yes they are heavier but they are repairable if one has an issue. We also had the 10" tires on that trailer and they also caught h**l. Being 10" they spin much faster then the 13-15" tires and they seem to come apart easier. The trailer that we have now is a 16' steel trailer, with 14" tires/wheels and rated for 7000 lbs. In the 12 years that we have had this trailer, other then normal maintenance, the only this I have done is the replace the wooden deck.
    If one has the time, there are some good deals out there on used steel trailers.

I will second the steel trailer. My brother has a 4 place aluminum Karavan trailer, and after only 4 years, it's on its 3rd trip to the welder. I have a 3 place steel, and doesnt feel much heavier behind the half-ton than the aluminum, but I've got 8 trouble free years on it.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

If you want Aluminum, I had a Triton and really liked it. I sold it when I got a Rhino and needed a longer trailer to hold the Rhino and an Otter trailer.

The Triton was nice, light and I really liked the clamp down ramp that didn't rattle.

Now I have a tandem axle steel car hauler trailer that can carry anything I need. I love having tandem axles, much safer if you get a flat and electric brakes are nice for heavier loads. Only thing I don't like is it is not a deck over so it has less clearance at the tail and drags entering my steep driveway.

Aluminum just doesn't hold up to the constant flexing going over bumpy roads as well as steel. Steel is much easier to repair and typically a lower cost up front. Bigger tires/wheels are always better. Those 10" will be screaming going down the road at 65mph.
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

heavy trailer an randem Axels the heavey the better it will not bounce as mudh an large tires 14"/ 15" / 16" they will hold up better ,an most Axels
    Tandem will have elect breaks some will be HYD. , if you can't walk on the deck with out it flexing I would look for some thing different
    had a 16 FT Alum an the tung gave up , had it re welded , that is where it gives out frist or the corrners , I think SID

i have had a sled bed 4 place, a triton 4 place and a triton 2 place. all are great trailers.. if i was you buy a trailer that has 2 axles which will end up being used to fit your price range. but get a 14', 2 axles trailer and you have room for a buddy or tow sled and you are always under loaded not at capacity or over. and if you brake a hub you can limp home on 3 wheels (done many times) nice to not leave your stuff on the side of the road.

10" tires are a money pit too. $125/each. Yes, you can buy the tire only, but nobody will mount it. I'd stay away from 10" tires at all costs.

Tim