Thread: Mercury Outboards

Default Mercury Outboards

Does anyone know a bit about the quality of Mercury outboard motors? Was thinking about buying one, but don't want to get stuck with a junky motor. The particular one I am looking at is a 2005 40 HP 4 stroke.

I'm a Yamaha guy and always have been, but Mercs have an equal fan base and are as good as any other motor. There's only one motor brand that I'd sooner not own a boat than run, and Merc isn't that motor.

Only notable Mercs I know to avoid are the 01-03 (or so) Optis. They had a fuel rail problem or something to that effect...dunno, never had one, but have friends that have. 05 four stroke should be a fine little motor.

I have a 2012 Merc. 300 Verado on my 25ft C hawk (27.5' with pod). I love the engine, it's so quiet sometimes you cant even tell it's idling. Sips gas for it's size too. I burn around 11-12gph at 4300 going 27kts +/-. Never had an issue with the motor and I have almost 400 hours on it. I have a Yamaha 90 2 stroke on my 15' whaler, and also love that motor. Before that, I have a Evinrude 48spl on my 13ft whaler, that engine had some quirks. I think you'll be just fine with the mercury, especially if the hours are low.

I have a 15hp bigfoot kicker on my 23" Trophy and I have never had even the slightist issue with it.\
    Merc's are good motors in my opinion. I would certainly buy another.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

Love my 150 mariner 17 years old and going strong.
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming-----WOW-----what a ride!
    Unknown author

Check the rep of the Mercury mechanics in your area. If they're good, then a Merc will be good. If they're bummers, run as fast as you can away from Mercs. Same applies for Honda, Suzi, Evi, and Yami. It all boils down to the quality of service you'll get after the sale.

The Merc 40 is one of their best motors. My buddy has a 1990 Merc 40 two stroke that is still ticking. In an outbard shootout a few years ago the Merc 40 Bigfoot (four stroke) got the best fuel economy of the whole bunch.

Sobie2

I have a 50 hp 4 stroke that is 5 years old. No problems with it so far. I probably would have gone with Yamaha but I bought the boat from a dealer in OR who mainly sells Mercs. Sea Marita and a dealer in Soldotna work on Mercs.

I have a 2001 40 HP 4 stroke and have not had any problems at all. It sips fuel. I think the 40-50-60 is the same motor. I'd buy another.