Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question on E callers

Default Question on E callers

Interested in trying predator hunting. Considering an E-caller to start and was looking for feedback. Looked at several brands / models and am considering the "Foxpro" shockwave. Any feedback / recommendations would be greatly appreciated!

IMO, the shockwave is unnecessary. It's bulky and a little over kill. I wouldn't want to have to lug that thing around with all my other gear... Seat, caller, rifle, shotty?, pack, shooting sticks, etc. As for calling up here, I don't see a need for 4 speakers. I see that call and think it's meant for wide open prairies or open farmlands where animals are coming in from a good distance. Most of the calling I've done and where I've had most success is animals coming in around the <10min mark.

If I were picking up a fox pro, I'd check out the Fury 2. It's small and compact with everything you'll need for calling... Just my $.02 and you can determine what it's worth.

Just about anything FoxPro has a good good reputation, I have the wildfireII and I like it. The shockwave should be really cool!

And I wasn't knocking ya either, just giving my opinion on the shockwave but Limon had it right with any Foxpro product is a good one!

Go to www.gofoxpro.com and look in the classified section of the forums. There are some good buys on like new callers. I saved 100 bucks on a like new Firestorm that serves my needs well. I have a friend with a Shockwwave and for comparison it is louder, a bit better quality speaker sound, better remote, lithium battery option for cold performance, more $ and not as lucky as mine...haha! I think the E-callers are best at calling in sucker customers like me LOL. I had about the same success with mouth open reed calls that don't freeze up and don't eat batteries. I do like the E-caller 50 yards or so away from me though.

Both the FoxPro products and the Wildlife Tech sound real good. There is a huge argument on which is better and both companies obviously claim their products are tops. I own a FoxPro Firestorm cuz it was the most I could afford at the time (and used to own a fury) and love it but also like the variation hand calls give me from sounds everyone plays. As far as coyote vocalizations go I get far more responses to hand calls than I have electronics. Maybe that's just coincidence though. I agree with AK pred on the weight issue. My pack is getting pretty hefty with all the goodies already without adding a bigger caller. If its what ya want though go for it, you won't be disappointed. Good luck and hunt safe!

Thank you all for you comments and suggestions. It has given me some additional things to consider.

another good company to look at is the Primos dogg series. I have the apha dogg along with my mouth calls and I love it. Ive had decent success with it, its a large speaker system but it compacts itself nice and small and its not too heavy. I got mine off of amazon for $184.99 and its a $360 e-caller.

You might want to see if Luke still has his for sale..... http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...Fox-Pro-Caller
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

You can't go wrong with FoxPro stuff. I'm still using my scorpion from when it first came out. Their customer service is awesome. I only had to use it once in all these years for something I did and they fixed my call no questions asked and no charge. I would second nothing more than the Fury 2. You can even go lower and still do as well. Don't get hung up on how many sounds it can hold or what it comes with. I thought that was important years ago and have learned that for pred killing you will only need a handful of sounds to be successful. Same for bears too.

I bought the Foxpro Spitfire in the $150-$200 range. I am really happy with it. I don't seem to have a problem at all calling them in. It's the killing them part I have a problem with. I think I have a serious case of "predator fever". For whatever reason whenever I seem to get close enough to shoot one, something inevitably goes wrong. In my opinion, you probably don't need a really loud e-caller. The predators have such good hearing, that as long as you got a realistic sound, and you are in an area with predators, they will find it.

It's not about the critters hearing ability, it's about the range they are from your set. That is the reason for loud output from the E-caller. If you don't get anything at low volume, then there aren't anything close around. Give it some volume and wait for the critter that is a bit farther away.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    If you think you're free, there's no escape possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoyt-Hunter View Post
    It's not about the critters hearing ability, it's about the range they are from your set. That is the reason for loud output from the E-caller. If you don't get anything at low volume, then there aren't anything close around. Give it some volume and wait for the critter that is a bit farther away.

I'm not saying you are wrong, because I admit I am not an expert predator hunter, but I am not sure I agree with that logic. Bigger is not always better. Or in this case louder is not always better. If that were the case, I think you would see guys carrying around huge loudspeakers that were intended to call every predator in the state of Alaska. I think the limiting factor isn't how far you can project your caller, but how far a predator is willing to travel for a free meal. I would be willing to bet that my Foxpro Spitfire can project for at least a mile to the average human, but considering a predator's ears are probably 5-10 times better than that, well you do the math.

I have a Spitfire and yes it probably can be heard that far in the right conditions. I don't normally run it a top volume. However, depending on the layout of the land, vegetation and wind I have the volume I may need as an option. Why limit yourself?

If you think you're free, there's no escape possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoyt-Hunter View Post
    Why limit yourself?
    No, that's a good point. Better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it. There have been a few times when the wind was so bad I can see where more volume would be helpful I guess. Another advantage to the more expensive models is the ability to store more calls. Although personally I only use about 4-5 calls on my caller the same principle applies. Better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it. I was merely saying that the spitfire is a great caller for the money.

Jack and Hoyt, I agree with what both of you are saying. Belting out distress sounds at crazy volumes isn't realistic and would probably spook most critters outta there. But given high winds or wide open areas, that volume may be beneficial. Time on stand also plays in here bc let's face it, a fox digging through 3-4 ft of snow isn't going to cover ground very quickly unless they're digging in and pushing hard. So in my eyes, get in close and keep it low - medium.

On a side note... with my Fury I had the ability to build sequences switching up sounds and/or volume levels hands free through the stand. Having that function with a couple nice pre-sets was a good tactic I liked to run.

Ended up going with the FOXPRO firestorm. Just arrived today, I will be sending some time getting to know it while I am waiting for my new rifle to arrive. Was torn between the 22-250 and the .243. Ended up going with the the .243 A little more versatile for Alaska. Thanks for all the information. I will likely have additional questions as I move forward

I like my Firestorm but standard alkaline AA batteries die fast in the cold. Get some AA lithiums for better life. I ended up getting Foxpros NIMHI rechargeables and charger kit which I feel has been worth it. I now keep the AA lithiums for spares. They only had the Li rechargers for CS24 models or I would have gotten it. Keep the remote inside your coat under 15 degrees to keep it alive also, or tape a hand warmer on it. Best of luck.

Quote Originally Posted by anthonychenry View Post
    Ended up going with the the .243 A little more versatile for Alaska. Thanks for all the information. I will likely have additional questions as I move forward
    If your planning to save fur, particularly from fox or cats, I suggest doing a bit of searching and reading about how to make sure there is fur left after the shot using that caliber.

Limon32 ~ Do you feel a lighter caliber is better on fox and Lynx. I have several .223's as well as a 22 mag. Using the .223, I would likely use Hornady TAP. I have not decided on the what bullet I would use in the .243. Was considering the Nosler Ballistic Tip Varmint Bullet. Your thoughts or suggestions?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast