Thread: Marine radio suggestions???

Default Marine radio suggestions???

Hello I am looking to add a stereo system to my trophy 2359. I am looking to install a Bluetooth system(to stream music from phones) with at least 2 speakers inside the cabin and 2 speakers outside the cabin. What have you found that resists corrosion the best for outside speakers and also what would you recommend for an interior setup? Any help or suggestions will be much appreciated.

I have found that in the protected cabin just about any stereo of your choosing will do just fine. If there is a chance of it getting wet, go marine grade. If not and the spot you are putting it will be dry all the time, it makes no difference. On the outside, I have never found a speaker that will stand the test of time in the salt. I finally gave up and now just turn up the cabin speakers. On small boats like ours that works just fine - unless the wife is in there trying to read a book, cook something, or just escaping the relentless rain we sometimes get. If that is the case, just turning it up is a bad plan.

Anyway, I installed a run of the mill Sony with (2) 6X9 three way speakers in my CD 22 a number of years ago and the sound is very good with no troubles at all. It is not marine grade, but where it is at is at least as dry as it is in my truck so I don't spend anytime worrying about it. I would like a small sub, but I don't really have the room to give up for it.

We have a Sony stereo system in the cab with 2 Sony speakers. Also installed 2 exterior marine grade speakers on the back deck from West Marine, the system rocks! The West Marine speakers were a bit spendy and we purchased the extended 3 year warranty, hopefully won't be necessary as they seem pretty tough so far.

The Sony stereo face drops down and an I-pod slides inside the stereo with plug-ins and all, pretty slick set-up. We load the I-pod and plug it in and have enough tunes to last all summer.
    BK

I have a 2359 as well. We considered a stereo but in the end decided on a SkullCandy Pipe, the boat just isn't that big and the pipe does just fine without the expense and installation of a stereo. With the Plethora of new bluetooth speaker setups out there now, we will probably upgrade but yea, I'm happy with our setup.

Fusion has a lot of really nice marine stereos these days. Im pretty sure all of their new models are Bluetooth and they sell an adapter to add Bluetooth to their older models. Sound quality is really good too. I agree with BK that just about any stereo will work in a protected cabin, but one thing that's nice about the marine stereos is that the CD is dampened better to absorb the shock of waves. That's if you still listen to CDs....

I put some marine grade kicker 6" speakers on my old boat and they rocked! Again though, this is an area that you could use any speaker inside and put marine grade outside if you are going for different zone setups.

Ive been looking at the Fusion products as those seem very appealing. On over night stays or raining days I have moisture build up inside of the boat, do you think that would affect a non marine grade radio? Thanks for all the suggestions

Hi Joe hey make sure that stereo has lots of power so you can blast the music and mask all those noises the engine makes before it stops Seriously, i had the same Pioneer auto stereo on my bowpicker for 20 years(yeah it was a cassette player) and it worked fine, never took it out of the boat in the winter. I'm sure you could find a nice one at your work then just get some good speakers for it.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

I've always loved Bose and they have a really nice pair of marine speakers. When I had my 24' seasport, I put an older-model pair of bose "environmental" speakers inside the house and you could hear it just fine when out on deck. You could probably hear it just fine in the next bay over, too ;-)

If you want to mount on the exterior, here's the link
    http://www.bose.com/controller?url=/...kers/index.jsp
    "Fishing relaxes me. It's like yoga, except I still get to kill something." --Ron Swanson