Thread: wanting to volunteer with conservation programs

Smile wanting to volunteer with conservation programs

My wife and I would love to get involved and volunteer with outdoor conservation programs now that we are in Alaska. Previously we have been involved with The Mule Deer Foundation in Colorado and enjoyed it immensely. Any organizations that our fellow outdoorsmen and women could lead us to would be greatly appreciated. Our passion is the outdoors and want to be involved as much as possible.
    Thanks
    Adam and Alissa

Ducks Unlimited can always use volunteers
    Some people call it sky busting... I call it optimism
    "Swans are a gift" -DucksandDogs
    I am a shoveler's worst nightmare!

The hunter education program is a great way to give back to the hunting community. You need to get fingerprinted and submit a background check. They have a packet at F&G.
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Thanks for the feedback. I am waiting to hear back from du and good call on hunters safety with F&G

Good call on the Hunter Ed program stid. After sitting through the class with my son many years ago I realized I needed to give something back to the hunting community. I have met a lot of great people through these classes.

You need to go through the instructors training and Fish & Game is always looking for new instructors. The Southcentral coordinator is Gina Smith and her email is: ginamaria.smith@alaska.gov

The StreamWatch program on the Russian River can always use new volunteers. My wife and I have been doing it for almost 20 years now, and really love the program. You'll get training in dealing with the public and with the local bears, and when you volunteer you get a free campsite at the campground, a very nice perk. It's a great spot, and a beautiful river. Have a look here: http://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/chugac...telprdb5406170 See you on the river!

Trout Unlimited has also recently started up a chapter in Anchorage. I know they do some local stream clean ups in the spring...
    Tomorrow isn't promised. "Never delay kissing a pretty girl or opening a bottle of whiskey." E. Hemingway

I know Alaska Waterfowl Association is looking at doing some hen houses for the spring too. They could probably use all the help they can get. Contact Duckhunter01 or akblackdawg on the forums here, they can get you hooked up with some details.
    Some people call it sky busting... I call it optimism
    "Swans are a gift" -DucksandDogs
    I am a shoveler's worst nightmare!

Thanks man. Already contacted Hugh with AWA. He messaged me back after his afternoon duck hunt in Texas. Look forward to getting involved and outdoors

My wife and I have volunteered with Becoming an Outdoors Woman for several years now… great group of people doing great things.

AK BOW is ran in conjunction with ADFG and the Outdoor Heritage Foundation- you can contact Nancy Sisinyak in Fairbanks or Tracy Smith in Anchorage ADFG for more information.

http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/index.cfm...owcoordinators
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

Do you have a raft? Every year I take my fellow USAF co-workers on a trip down the Gulkana to experience Alaska. Lately the fishing has been bad but the beer has been cold. We try to go the last of June. We could always use an extra raft. The food is on me.
    My child was inmate of the month at Mat-Su pre-trial Correctional facility.

Quote Originally Posted by Mkay View Post
    Do you have a raft? Every year I take my fellow USAF co-workers on a trip down the Gulkana to experience Alaska. Lately the fishing has been bad but the beer has been cold. We try to go the last of June. We could always use an extra raft. The food is on me.
    I'd be interested in this trip. I have all the required gear and a fair amount of rafting experience. My Levitator will be room enough for me and 2 more.
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Being Army, you may want to check with the JBER Natural Resources Office. When I was active duty, they had a volunteer Wildlife Conservation Officer program. Training by AK Troopers and ADFG were part of the gig. Once certified, you could respond to things like nuisance bear calls, etc. Also helped with conservation programs on base.

Quote Originally Posted by hodgeman View Post
    My wife and I have volunteered with Becoming an Outdoors Woman for several years now… great group of people doing great things.

AK BOW is ran in conjunction with ADFG and the Outdoor Heritage Foundation- you can contact Nancy Sisinyak in Fairbanks or Tracy Smith in Anchorage ADFG for more information.

http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/index.cfm...owcoordinators
    +1 The Outdoor Heratige Foundation is a great organization. Our local Safari Club International chapter does a lot to support them and their mission. The Alaska chapter of SCI is also a great and very active organization here in Alaska. We're always looking for new members. Especially active members.

Brett

Thanks for all the information everyone. This will definitely assist my wife and I in pursuing our passion and that's spending time and helping out in the outdoors. Also as an added bonus we look forward to meeting new ppl who are passionate about hunting, fishing and conservation. Once again thank you all