Thread: Resurrection Pass Saturday...Hope AK

Default Resurrection Pass Saturday...Hope AK

To the group of mountain machines that ruined the trail conditions on Res North...thanks alot! There was a large group of machines (yes we were riding mountain sleds but didn't ruin the trail conditions) ahead of you who broke trail, kept it smooth, and did not leave a bunch of trash as you did. We picked up your 12 pac of mountain dew, packaging from smoke copper river reds, and other junk so we know where you turned around...the trail conditions also indicated where you turned around. It is folks like you who ruin the name for all snowmachiners. With the Forest Plan being currently rewritten, it would behoove all of us riders to not leave a bunch of trash or whoop the trails on the CNF. This is the second weekend in a row that I have picked up large amounts of trash from other riders (Johson Pass last weekend).
    Lets try and be a bit more respectful to other riders by NOT leaving trash or trying to leave huge mogals. you not only mess it up for your ride out, you ruin it for everyone else too!

I agree. There is nothing worse than being out in the wilderness and seeing trash to ruin it.
    We are actually headed down that way tomorrow to stay in the Fox Creek Cabin. Plan on going in from the Hope side. How was the trail(other than it being torn up)? The Forest Service website said there may still be some trees across the trail. Do you think we might need to bring a chainsaw?

aksnowmo, not sure who was out there Saturday, but myself and others broke trail to the fox cabin on Thursday night. We broke it right, no moguls, no burnouts on the trail, and certainly didn't leave any trash (did lose a pair of goggles though). We were all on mountain sleds, but were respective of the trail and when we came out on Friday, all was well with the trail.

wingshooter - I would definitely recommend bringing a chainsaw. There are about 5 trees across the trail, 3 that we had to maneuver around and 2 we had to go over... I had my chainsaw but left it in the truck. Regretted that!

I agree though, ruining the trail is not cool. Leaving trash is even worse. C'mon people.

Quote Originally Posted by gpaul99 View Post
    aksnowmo, not sure who was out there Saturday, but myself and others broke trail to the fox cabin on Thursday night. We broke it right, no moguls, no burnouts on the trail, and certainly didn't leave any trash (did lose a pair of goggles though). We were all on mountain sleds, but were respective of the trail and when we came out on Friday, all was well with the trail.

wingshooter - I would definitely recommend bringing a chainsaw. There are about 5 trees across the trail, 3 that we had to maneuver around and 2 we had to go over... I had my chainsaw but left it in the truck. Regretted that!

I agree though, ruining the trail is not cool. Leaving trash is even worse. C'mon people.
    Thanks for the trail breaking. You guys did a great job. The guys who messed it up were in after us on Saturday afternoon. We went to Devils Pass then back out but the trashers rode a bit past Fox and whooped it up for us to follow back. Still smooth beyond Fox on Saturday. We got around all the trees fine but it would be nice to get em out...I cut all day last Sunday on JPass North wagon road.

Thanks for the heads up guys. How long do you think it takes to get back to the Fox Creek cabin?

Depending on how much your haulin...about an hour to hour and 1/2. That being said there were times I did not make it to Caribou Creek and had to walk out (blew clutch on one machine after mechanical fail on first (Phazer clutch/arctic cat kill switch. The sidehilling can be a bit challenging with heavy sled right now...take your time. Saturday we were up to Devil's Pass Cabin and back out with a bit of messing around in 3 hours RT. We stopped at Caribou Creek, East Creek, Fox Creek and Devils Pass cabins.

It was 36F windy and raining when we got to the trail head. We planned to take four people on three machines (two towing sleds and one ridding double), but we couldn't get one machine started so we ended up with two machines, two sleds and four people. We left the parking lot around 4:45pm and it took us about 2 hours to get to the Fox Creek Cabin. Ridding double and towing a sled wasn't very fun on the side hills at night time. Luckily the trail wasn't ice but mostly slush. The going was pretty slow due to the trail being fairly bumpy. We brought a chainsaw and cleared most of the large trees.

Luckily we brought a good amount of dry wood with us but we barely used half due to the warm temps. The ride out yesterday was much better due mostly to the daylight and the lack of rain. The temps were still in the low 30's.

The drive from Hope to the Highway was the worst road conditions I have ever seen. Complete ice rink the whole way! We left around 3:30 and the sander/gravel truck at not been out yet. We never made it above 20 mph.

If the trail freezes anytime soon itís going to be really bad. We also struggled with overheating issues(mostly due to the outside temp). I have a '04 RMK with scratchers and we had to stop every 20-30min to let it cool. But if the trail freezes I think the overheating would have been a lot worse due to the lack of snow I would have been able to get on my heat exchanger.

Just my opinion, I wouldn't plan on going out there until they get at least 6 more inches of snow.
    Last edited by wingshooter12g; 01-02-2014 at 11:03. Reason: spacing