Thread: Willow Trail Report WPC. 12/30/13

Exclamation Willow Trail Report WPC. 12/30/13

First Post of the year!!!

Do to lack of funding Grooming will be cut back a lot!
    Seems like no one is retagging there sleds and DNR and the State will not help get more funding.
    Get hold of your Reps. in Juneau and let them know you would like to see more money for trails!

After the first of the year we will groom some main trails.
    Right now we have lots of tree trimming to do be cause of all the icy rain.
    And this will take some time as there is tons of them.

There is lots of snow almost 3 ft. with a little overflow on lakes and swamps.
    Temps have been up and down all over the place.
    Creeks are not freezing up well!!!!

We do have cabins open next weekend.
    Come up and play in Willow and have some FUN!
    Trail Boss
    Willow Trail Committe
    ALASKA'S Winter Park Cabins
    To boldly make trail where no man has gone before!!!

Trail head fees. Get rid of the registration.
    Tim

If you guys need a hand clearing trails i would donate some time .I have my own machine and saws.

Could use help this weekend 495 5884
    Trail Boss
    Willow Trail Committe

Thanks Trail Boss. I got your email, just got back on. Obviously you have updated..

thanks again.

Also, I think the groomer in Petersville has a "tip jar" or something like that for donations at one or two of the lodges. I don't know where you would put it but it might be a good idea. Most people are willing to pitch in. (Everybody knows what fuel costs…)

Just a thought.

Just as many people register their sleds these days. The AST at the trailheads ensures this. The deal is that a higher percentage of registration money is getting siphoned off by the state for their administrative overhead and not making it to the Snowtrax funding.

You don't know what you are talking about. I have been on the snow tract board and the state has a flat 11% fee to run the program and has been that way sence the program start. And total reg. of sleds has gone down about 2% per year. and cost of grooming per mile has gone up and more areas have been moved into the program. I ride areas all over the state and watch for currant tags on machine all over and most of the time unless it is a new sled they are not update there tags. People are to cheap to spend $5 dollars a year to ride on nice trails.
    The Willow locals are some of the worst. They got no money and old sleds. One of the Biggest problems is having to go to DMV to get the new tags. It cost more in time and money to go than the tags cost. And most people don't know they can buy tags for up to 6 years for $30 buck!
    There is no reason not to have currant tags.
    Trail Boss
    Willow Trail Committe

Trail Boss, I'm afraid you are missing the bigger picture. When you register a snowmachine money goes to DOT (which takes an increasing cut), then it goes to DNR (which takes an increasing cut) and then it goes to Snow Trac where, like you said, the overhead is 11%. Snow trac is not the problem, it's upstream from that. BTW - my tags are current. They would be current if reg was $30, because I like funding trails.

Unhappy

You do not have a clue!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Dot takes none.
    It all goes to the general fund!
    Then is put into the budget by the Gov.
    Then it goes to DNR/ snowtract! the 11% goes to DNR and state parks to run it.
    It goes to pay for a bookkeeper a Trail corr. and a Grant amin. guy along with a Park Super to help corr.which I all know how much time they spend and help us.
    You are talking around 25,000 to run this program.
    Think about it. That's nothing.
    Check your info!!!
    You are just another misinform Alaskan!!!
    Trail Boss
    Willow Trail Committe

The Willow locals are some of the worst. They got no money and old sleds. One of the Biggest problems is having to go to DMV to get the new tags. It cost more in time and money to go than the tags cost. And most people don't know they can buy tags for up to 6 years for $30 buck!
    There is no reason not to have currant tags.[/QUOTE]

You don't have to go to DMV to renew any vehicle registration. In fact there is a $10 surcharge if you do go to DMV as opposed to mailing in your renewal paperwork and check... DMV mails the registered owner the renewal papers.. all you have to do is write a check and mail it back..

All you have to do is go line and you can get them mailed to you without any problems.

It is a program that was destined to fail it needs to be scraped and start over!

Another uniformed Alaskan
    Tim

The State has an $8 billion budget. They can groom trails.

They could but they don't. Talk to your legislators.