Thread: Moose Landjager

Default Moose Landjager

I took some moose out of the freezer, bought some pork and made some Landjager sausages today. Lightly smoked then I took the photo just after puting them in my drying chamber. They should be done in 2 or 3 weeks. They cost a $1.90 each at the Delta grocery store but man are they good! Hope mine come out 1/2 as good. Does anybody else out there dry cure meat? Not to be confused with hot smoked or cooked sausages.
    Attached Images Attached Images

WOW those look great. I love landjager sausage and would love to learn how to make them. Let us know how they turn out.

Probably one of the favorite sausages of all time at our house.

Delta's IGA gets theirs from the same place I order mine from, when I have fore-thought, time, and money; Bavarian Meats at Pike Place Market, in Seattle. Their price when buying from Bavarian meats is (or used to be, maybe still is) $9.95/lb., with 9-12 sticks in a lb.

Bavarian Meats will ship via flat-rate USPS Priority Mail boxes, pretty much for actual cost, from the Mail Boxes are Us, or some similar private mail outlet very near their Pike Place store.

One moose season I ordered 10 lbs. of their landjager, and everyone I was hunting with burned out on it after 5-6 days but me..

When you call there, they often have one of several German women answer the telephone, sounding like Julia Childs with a German accent. Nice folks, good product, and excellent service.

That said, I'd like to hear more about your process, as well as the recipe you used, etc.

There used to be a fellow in Fairbanks who was from Wisconsin before coming to Alaska, (Wiley was his name, if I recall correctly). He ran/owned Greatland Sausage. I don't know where he went, but he used to make some pretty good (closest to traditional flavor, etc.) landjager.

I'd likely set myself up for some serious cardiovascular issues if I were to start making a successful landjager here.

Predator control,
    Those look great!
    Any chance you would be willing to share your recipe, assuming it comes out as good as it looks?!

Thanks,
    BK

Sure! Everything you need to know is at this address including the recipe.
    http://lpoli.50webs.com/index.htm
    you need to read and take the time to understand the science of dry curing meats and do it right. No short cuts because you can get someone really sick if not done properly. You can also find directions to build a drying chamber there also. It's takes some time and investment to get set up but it is a fun hobby. But if you figure all the time and effort it takes to make sausages like this your probably better off to buy online. I spent $35 on pork, 35 on casings, another 25 for spices and starter culture for a little more than 200 links. Plus about 10hrs of my time when you figure clean up start to finish. And that doesnt count the set up costs. So you just have to enjoy doing the work and using up meat from your freezer.
    I remember Wiley's hunter sticks. He even gave me his recipe and I still have it! It wasn't the traditional landyager recipe though, they were hot smoked, they were cooked. Traditional recipe requires no heat, only dry slowly. Good Luck!

Those look great! I have yet to make any fermented sausages but and obsessed with doing it. My chamber is almost done just need to get my humidity control and a humidifier and I'm ready to go.

Quote Originally Posted by pacific-23 View Post
    Those look great! I have yet to make any fermented sausages but and obsessed with doing it. My chamber is almost done just need to get my humidity control and a humidifier and I'm ready to go.
    It will be a bit challenging for you living in a high humidity environment like Sitka. It's easy to make your chamber humid. Controllable dry air is the challenge. I don't make dry cured meat products in the summer because rain really screws up the process. I only operate the other 3 seasons. A week of damp, high humidy will ruin your batch of drying sausages. Fairbanks typicaly has dry air, the sausages are wet and make the chamber humid. So I regulate the chamber humidy by moving small amounts of dry outside air into the moist inside air to get the desired humidity level. Maybe if you could supply your chamber air from a dehumidifier that would work? It's a learning curve until you get your chamber dialed in. I've had a few close calls but never lost any salami's to spoilage yet!

Thanks!

I wasn't aware that Wiley's were hot smoked. I learn something every day.. if I let myself. ;^>)

I wouldn't mind having Wiley's recipe as well, if you believe he'd be alright with your sharing it.

Good job!!

Quote Originally Posted by ruffle View Post
    Thanks!

I wasn't aware that Wiley's were hot smoked. I learn something every day.. if I let myself. ;^>)

I wouldn't mind having Wiley's recipe as well, if you believe he'd be alright with your sharing it.

Good job!!
    PM me your email and I will send you Willy's recipe. All I have written down are the ingredeances and amounts. Maybe he told me the smoking / temp details and forgot to wright it down. That was 20+ years ago!

Thanks. I'll send a PM.

Default Landjager's done

And there're good! I will definitely make these again!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Predator,
    I can't take your word that they are good, please send me some so I can back you up on your statement. LOL!!

(They look awesome, nice job)
    BK