Thread: cross bolt necessary on my 9,3x64?

Default cross bolt necessary on my 9,3x64?

I bedded my recoil lug and foward some with AccraGlass Gel, the added strength in the web are for this caliber is in question. the generated amount of recoil is liken to the .375HH so my question is.....is my work shown in the pic adequate for support? Being a 9,3x64 I pondered just one cross bolt in behind the recoil lug if necessary.
    This fall I took my VZ24 9,3x62 and bedded into this same stock and recoil was pretty stout, when I had it in the Hogue rubber thing the recoil was about nil. Now that I have it in a J.C.Higgins piece of furniture am just wondering how the webs would hold up before I fire off some 286 Partitions.
    The pic is off the recoil lug area bedded....the other with rifle complete.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I think you are probably good to go. Cross bolts can be useful for non bedded stocks, once you do a good job bedding the recoil lug, cracking and splitting possibilities are reduced dramatically. Nice slippers.... Happy new year!
    "A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise, and independence to the mind."

yup, them slippers go up short of the knee and are black canvas tops with moose skin bottoms.....lol. each are double lined with size 11 and 10 liners.....I move about pretty good with these. Happy New Years to you and the wife!

I have added cross bolts to a bunch of rifles. Some I also added a piece of 1/4 inch drill rod down through the wrist. On others I inletted pieces of steel on each side of the magazine well.
    Was it necessary? Good question. None of the stocks cracked but they might not of cracked without the extra work either. Kind of like insurance.

If the action was glassed properly I think you can get away with a lot.

I don't have a cross bolt on my 9.3x62 and haven't had any problems. Wouldn't hurt for the Brenneke, but don't have any experience with it.

Quote Originally Posted by GD Yankee View Post
    I don't have a cross bolt on my 9.3x62 and haven't had any problems. Wouldn't hurt for the Brenneke, but don't have any experience with it.
    GD. just installed a course threaded bolt and rebedded the web block. having taken out some wood in that web made me mull my efforts over for some time since I posted. the 62 and 64 have different mag well dimensions. thanks.

Is the mag box for the 64 wider than the 62? Hadn't thought of that. If so, cross bolts would be a good precaution.

when you look at my pic of that front block you will note that I had to dremel out some to fit the longer length of the 64 mag.....gunbugs comment "if" I did it right made mull my efforts over for some time. made sense to re-inforce that area behind the lug. just hope what I did will work, I've savvy but not much experience. living in rural bush life style gives me time to study what "I" can do instead. don't want to be called a bubba. ha