Thread: Are there Burbot in the Little Su?

Default Are there Burbot in the Little Su?

I am just wondering if any one has caught Burbot in the Little Su. I read some where last summer that they were there but I have never heard of one caught there.

This just had me wondering.

Sent from my RM-915_nam_usa_228 using Tapatalk

I do not think there is , there is white fish ,caught them as a kid .

I don't know about the Su but my uncle caught a burbot on a vibrax out of willow creek one summer. I had never seen or heard of a burbot at that time so we tossed it back, but it was probably 16-18".

Have caught many in the little Willow [ sname 16 to 18 inch ] no large ones SID let them all go

I have heard of them caught there quite often; but never in the winter.

who fishes the little sue in winter time ?? it would be hard , y,ou would have to find the holes they hold up in an it could be miles apart ????
    I think SID

I don't know but some guy told me there were burbot In the knik and matanuska rivers. I've never caught any there or in the lil su. But there used to be burbit in Nancy lake and they are in big lake which drains into the lil su via silver salmon creek I that's the name? Wouldn't be terribly surprised if there was I guess.

Sent from my ZX-X15 using Tapatalk

Release Lake Trout

There are burbot in the Susitna river system, how many make their living in the little Su, I have no clue. Have I caught them, yes, would I target them in the Little Su, no.

Ok, I was curious. I can't imagine the would be many if there was any. Its small in the summer, can't imagine trying to fish it in the winter.

Probably 15 years ago, while fishing for silvers on the Little Su, we must have set up shop near Burbot HQ as we couldnt NOT catch them.

I had never heard of any one catching them there before so had me wondering if they really were there. Another reason why I thought they could be there was because I know Red Shirt also drains into the little Su and I know you use to be able to catch burbot in red shirt a long time ago.

Red Shirt lake drains into Flathorn lake and then the Big Su. Nancy lake drains into the litte Su. Nancy lake has been closed to burbot fishing for a long time.
    I am no longer surprised at what I am no longer surprised at ---Bill Whittle

well nancy lake has them an the little Sue should have some but they are not a big fishery as from tthe reports given out , an the make up of the little SUE don't grow BIG burbot if any, there are not many big holes in the little sue [ very few ] SID

Quote Originally Posted by TOMCOD View Post
    Red Shirt lake drains into Flathorn lake and then the Big Su. Nancy lake drains into the litte Su. Nancy lake has been closed to burbot fishing for a long time.
    There are actually three creeks, two of those creeks feed out of Redshirt that end up connecting to the little Sue and the other feeds to Flathorn. The ones that connect to the Little Su go through a couple lakes on the way down but ultimately they do empty into the Little Su. One is on the North east side and one is mid way on the east side.

I was researching it once before as a trip a canoe trip. I planned on putting in at South Rolly and try to get to Redshirt, spend a night then take one of the two creeks down to the Little Su and down to Burma landing. I found out though that the creek on the Northern side gets pretty small in places and is not easy to maneuver in a canoe some times, or so I have been told.

I just don't see it , but if you say it is so , so be it SID

If one was going to try I would put my money where nancy lake creek dumps into the little su. There is a deep hole there in the slough(7-8ft at least don't ask me how I know) during summer time but im sure it ices over there due to lack of current. As for the big Su tribs... over the years we have picked up a few burbot soaking eggs for silvers most common when at sunshine creek.

One of the two creeks I was talking about feeds into that creek I believe. Been a while since I looked into it. I wish they would post up a SUMMER map as well as a winter map on Google maps, would make it a lot easier to see the darn creeks lol.

I was more or less just curios if they were present in the Little Su or if what I read was just rubbish. I didn't think there would be much for catchable numbers in such a small creek, especially in the winter when I'm sure there is very little life in it.

Quote Originally Posted by mrgsholly View Post
    If one was going to try I would put my money where nancy lake creek dumps into the little su. There is a deep hole there in the slough(7-8ft at least don't ask me how I know) during summer time but im sure it ices over there due to lack of current. As for the big Su tribs... over the years we have picked up a few burbot soaking eggs for silvers most common when at sunshine creek.