Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Willow Trails Report??

Default Willow Trails Report??

Willow is not updating their trail reports...the groomer used to post here so just a call out to see if anyone knows what's going on up there? Did they lose trailing grooming funds or something?

anyway, if anyone knows what the snow is like up there, info would be appreciated...thx

I was out riding around yesterday. Went out to Yentna station. Trails were in descent condition, some better than others. Plenty of snow, I'd estimate 3' off the trails
    Tomorrow isn't promised. "Never delay kissing a pretty girl or opening a bottle of whiskey." E. Hemingway

Trails were hard and frozen on Friday afternoon. No grooming yet, lots of frozen overflow, some trails staked but not real well.
    Not sure about the grooming, haven't seen anything yet this year.
    BK

Rode up to the Yenta today. Trail was hard. found some powder along the river and in some of the swamps. Left from community center. Nice way to break in a new motor and a new sled.
    Anchorage Ak

Anyone know if folks have been riding the Cruz Trail. This is the ice road corridor that was made last year from Willow Creek over the Deshka River and on to the Yentna. I figure the ice road has not been made yet. I heard that this year the ice road eventually will be built to get a gas drilling rig out past the Deshka. Just wondering if people have been riding this route yet and if you can take off from Willow Creek, or do you have to go to Deshka Landing and take the X-over Trail and then head north to get to the Cruz Trail. Thanks.

Ding,
    As of last Friday, it was in bad shape with lots of water and overflow on it. The crews are out there drilling holes at water crossings/swamps and flooding the trail to make a solid grounded ice road. I would avoid it for now till they finish preparing the road and start running the rig on it, then it should be smooth sailing.
    BK

It's on hold for DNR permits Will update as it goes in
    Trail Boss
    Willow Trail Committe
    ALASKA'S Winter Park Cabins
    To boldly make trail where no man has gone before!!!

West Gateway Trails around Willow are not up to our usual standards due to a combination of weather and funding. A snow bridge across Rolly Creek along the Big Swamp is very marginal and will probably fall with this warm. Shirley Creek crossing on the Lucky Shot Trail has open water and the north end of Vera Lake has a trail detour due to very thin ice. 30" of snow in the swamps, though. WTC decided not to groom the Rolly Creek Trail, Big Swamp Trail or the Deshka X Over because of 30% grooming pool funding statewide. Our priorities may change later in the winter. Good news in that the recently purchased snowcat is operational.

Just wanted to follow up ... I went out on the Cruz Trail last week. From Willow Creek on you could see where work crews had been marking the trail across the islands in the Big Su. They've got some work to do to ramp the cutbanks. Nice trail after the SVWT heading to the Deshka River. Just past the Deshka the Cruz Trail got ratty because of minimal snow on top of logs. Turned back there.

I know that the Cruz Trail goes to a drilling site about 4 miles from the Yentna. Is there/will there be a connector to the Yentna off the Cruz Trail? Anyone know if such a trail is already established? Or is it a blaze your own connector trail situation out there? Thanks. DingDing

The plan is that Cruz will have a road connecting all the way to the Yentna. Right now there are two drilling sites, the one closest to the Yentna needs to have a pad constructed, the site a few miles west of the Deshka has a pad and drilling equipment will be transported there this winter....well...if it gets winter again.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Are they planning to continue across the Yentna?

No just to the Yentna near Moose Creek. about about 5 or 6 mile up from Yentna Station.
    Willow has overflow in all our lakes Be carefull
    Trail Boss
    Willow Trail Committe
    ALASKA'S Winter Park Cabins
    To boldly make trail where no man has gone before!!!

Has anyone been on the Big Su and/or Yentna yesterday or today? If so, what kind of shape is it in?

Quote Originally Posted by Ak Steve View Post
    Has anyone been on the Big Su and/or Yentna yesterday or today? If so, what kind of shape is it in?
    Not good down Alexander Creek way!

Quote Originally Posted by TMS View Post
    Are they planning to continue across the Yentna?
    Yes, at some time. There is a 10 acre site on the West side of the Yentna about 1 mile inland, where they plan to drill for Nat gas

Do you know if there is a current map with this location on their project plan? Trying to remember where I saw the first one.

We we ran the Cruz trail last year all the way to Moose Creek, made it a quick trip to the cabin. Am anxious to see where the trail will pick up at on the other side of the Yentna.

A few years ago a group of us stumbled on a ice road from Shell Lake west towards Puntilla. I thought that was for a gold play. A gas play could be real but I don't read the Petroleum News like I used to. I might ask around. In any event...that ice road was 50 mph.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Interested in the same information.

Northwoods Lodge has a fresh update. It's soggy, but not impassible. I'm going to go tomorrow AM and see how it goes. If it goes to pot I can always turn back.

Northwoods Lodge has a fresh update. It's soggy, but not impassible. I'm going to go tomorrow AM and see how it goes. If it goes to pot I can always turn back.

May see you out there. I'll be leaving from the Big lake area with a goal of making it to Shell lake.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast